Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Day 1: Ass firmly handed to me. I love it

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Day 1: Ass firmly handed to me. I love it

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-17, 08:54 PM
Deadman
Roadrash not included

Bikes: None yet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personal progress log of sorts

Today, the lady and I took our new bikes out for their inaugural spin, and boy did we get our asses kicked!

First, thanks for all the encouragement, it's really helpful.

So I ended up with a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 and the lady got a Specialized Roll Sport. We picked them up Wednesday but life delayed the actual ride until today.

We "accidentally" did 5 miles. I know thats not a lot for most, but for day 1 on these things, getting home was hard. We didn't notice before hand the way in was downhill, and I had to stop and recoup a few minutes just to get my legs to work again, but i pedaled the whole trip. I saw accidentally because it is apparently 1.5 miles to the park alone plus we did several laps of the walking trail as well as a "back loop" with a very steep hill.

All in all, after getting home and dying for a few minutes on the floor, it was a great time. The seat sucks, grips eat my hands, my ass took a beating and I need a way to bring water, but those are minor.

AND, I've had 1 soda all day (Im usually 6000 calories in soda a day...) and am feeling good.

Midway thru ride

When I was able to sit up at home, took this. Figure I'll show both sides of the coin.

Last edited by Deadman; 06-19-17 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Dont want to clutter the board
Old 06-17-17, 09:52 PM
Moriarty

Bikes: 2011 Trek Allant, 1990(?) Miele Tivoli Road Issue, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 2000 Kona Hahanna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice work! Give the saddle time. It does get better over time. That said, if you start riding regularly and don't notice an improvement, then you may want to try a different one. For your hands, I'd recommend finding some cycling gloves. I love them.

Keep at it. I've tried a lot of different forms of exercise but cycling is the one way to workout that actually feels like fun to me.

Originally Posted by Deadman
Today, the lady and I took our new bikes out for their inaugural spin, and boy did we get our asses kicked!

First, thanks for all the encouragement, it's really helpful.

So I ended up with a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 and the lady got a Specialized Roll Sport. We picked them up Wednesday but life delayed the actual ride until today.

We "accidentally" did 5 miles. I know thats not a lot for most, but for day 1 on these things, getting home was hard. We didn't notice before hand the way in was downhill, and I had to stop and recoup a few minutes just to get my legs to work again, but i pedaled the whole trip. I saw accidentally because it is apparently 1.5 miles to the park alone plus we did several laps of the walking trail as well as a "back loop" with a very steep hill.

All in all, after getting home and dying for a few minutes on the floor, it was a great time. The seat sucks, grips eat my hands, my ass took a beating and I need a way to bring water, but those are minor.

AND, I've had 1 soda all day (Im usually 6000 calories in soda a day...) and am feeling good.

Midway thru ride

When I was able to sit up at home, took this. Figure I'll show both sides of the coin.

Old 06-17-17, 09:59 PM
Deadman
Roadrash not included

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moriarty
Nice work! Give the saddle time. It does get better over time. That said, if you start riding regularly and don't notice an improvement, then you may want to try a different one. For your hands, I'd recommend finding some cycling gloves. I love them.

Keep at it. I've tried a lot of different forms of exercise but cycling is the one way to workout that actually feels like fun to me.
Yeah, oddly the saddle on the model a step down was more comfy when I tested it out. Im going to get gloves but right now, Im tapped for spare funds. I was using a smart water bottle but it bounced out and got squashed before I could get back to it.

And the pisser of it all is Im looking in to adding a second bike now...something more road...
Old 06-17-17, 10:03 PM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
For the hands, when you do have the funds, I just put Ergon Grips on my bike, much more of an improvement than gloves.
Old 06-17-17, 10:44 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Yeah, oddly the saddle on the model a step down was more comfy when I tested it out. Im going to get gloves but right now, Im tapped for spare funds. I was using a smart water bottle but it bounced out and got squashed before I could get back to it.

And the pisser of it all is Im looking in to adding a second bike now...something more road...
Saddles are funny. Comfort for 5min in the shop is not the same as an hour later. Generally, squishy feels good in the shop, not in actual use.
Old 06-18-17, 03:52 AM
AmFaeEmbra
NewKidInTown

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
I just put Ergon Grips on my bike, much more of an improvement than gloves.
Aaah, but when you come off your bike (and you will at some point!) wearing gloves means you shouldn't get your palms full of grit.
Old 06-18-17, 06:17 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Great start and embrace the sweat suffering it will get easier with time and miles.
Old 06-18-17, 06:25 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by AmFaeEmbra
Aaah, but when you come off your bike (and you will at some point!) wearing gloves means you shouldn't get your palms full of grit.
I should have been clearer . I still wear the gloves as well - just got much more improvement in hand comfort with the ergon grips that with gloves alone.
Old 06-18-17, 06:44 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
As to the saddle. Give yourself a bit. It takes time to get used to sitting that way. Make sure the back of the saddle is supporting hip bones and that you aren't sitting on "soft" tissue or your perineum.

Several of the water bottles you can buy in store as well as sport drinks come in a bottle that will fit in to the cage nicely. Cages can be picked up for .99 online. Alternately, some people like to use camelback, etc.

Great job! Keep at it.
Old 06-18-17, 09:21 PM
Deadman
Roadrash not included

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
As to the saddle. Give yourself a bit. It takes time to get used to sitting that way. Make sure the back of the saddle is supporting hip bones and that you aren't sitting on "soft" tissue or your perineum.

Several of the water bottles you can buy in store as well as sport drinks come in a bottle that will fit in to the cage nicely. Cages can be picked up for .99 online. Alternately, some people like to use camelback, etc.

Great job! Keep at it.
whats funny is they shop put on a $60 carbon fiber cage for me.... lol theres just 0 room for a bottle really, the one I had tried in it almost touched the top tube and you couldnt take it out without stopping and really tugging.
Old 06-19-17, 04:16 PM
Deadman
Roadrash not included

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took yesterday off the bike thinking my legs would go back to normal in a day, still went and walked Boone Hall Plantation in the sweltering heat (in all black no less).

Woke up today and felt like ass in general, not really my body but my head was defeating me and my stomach (which is usually iron clad) wasnt having any of it.

"I know what will cure my ails...a nice vigorous ride!" I said aloud to no one.

Nay nay, it was not the cure all I had envisioned! Alas, I was only able to put down a very interrupted 4 mile loop, stopping as needed to as not to fall off the bike. I did end up making one excuse to stop which I still say is justified as I REALLY didnt want to get into rush hour traffic on the way leaving the shipyard... so yeah.

BUT, I did not walk the bike, and I didn't call for a chariot home, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

No pics, I was inglorious today. This was not a pretty battle by far, but it was hard fought.

Right now, my biggest pains are tops of my thighs, left arm/shoulder (years ago, left arm was severed at the elbow and glued back on.) and ass. Im convinced no seat gets better with time, your ass just gives up and dies.
Old 06-19-17, 04:27 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 2,537 Posts
Im going to get gloves but right now, Im tapped for spare funds.
Check fleabay, if you can wait for shipping, it's often possible to get things for very cheap.

These are my gloves which I bought last year:
. Probably not really Pearl Izumi, but probably 50-80% as good, for 10% the price.

I usually search with 'lowest price+shipping' and 'buy-it-now', check out prices from Asia, and then narrow the search to US Only and see whether the price for the same thing jumps very much, usually it's not much more and it shows up in a few days.

I also have these cheap grips, which are something like Ergon-branded ergonomic grips. I've never tried real Ergons, but these made a pretty significant difference to me.
Old 06-20-17, 01:45 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Right now, my biggest pains are tops of my thighs, left arm/shoulder (years ago, left arm was severed at the elbow and glued back on.) and ass. Im convinced no seat gets better with time, your ass just gives up and dies.
As for the little aches and pains, just be sure they are little ones. Meaning, most folks have various aches and whatnot, the first few dozen times riding. But, folks whose fitment on that bike can have aches and pains that shouldn't be there as well. And most times those can be aided (even eliminated) via a proper fit on the bike ... stem, bar, saddle height and position, and saddle match to your hindquarters. Definitely pay attention to your seat and hand position adjustments. Might be slight saddle height/position adjustment can make a world of difference. Might be that slight hand position alteration (ie, via a different stem and/or bar) can dramatically change the percentage of load on your hands/shoulders versus your butt. (And, if you're like many people, your comfort level will likely change over time as to what seating/hands position feels best in 6mos as compared to now.)

I'd suggest being open to seatpost, saddle, stem and handlebar alterations. you might find changing one or more of those can make a world of difference in terms of comfort and how enjoyable the ride is.
Old 06-20-17, 03:43 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Great start. About 2 miles longer than I did my first day back on a bike (now 12+ years ago). I had to walk my bike up the hill to my house, so I didn't even pedal the whole way.
Old 06-24-17, 04:14 PM
1911bg

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try some padded bike shorts.I like the ones you wear under your cargo shorts.
Old 06-24-17, 07:38 PM
Deadman
Roadrash not included

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1911bg
Try some padded bike shorts.I like the ones you wear under your cargo shorts.

oh as much as Id love to, all ive seen were $90+ and right now Im trying to find the budget for a waterbottle and gloves...
Old 06-24-17, 08:01 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Some gloves can be had for as little as $5:

Cycling Gloves in Clothing | Bike Gloves | Bike Nashbar
Nashbar also has inexpensive bottles and cages as well.

Check Amazon and input " Bike padded liner shorts" and you will find some nice shorts as inexpensive as $10.
Old 06-24-17, 09:35 PM
1911bg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes I got mine from Amazon they work well and did not cost very much.They really do make a huge difference.
Old 06-26-17, 11:14 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 2,537 Posts
oh as much as Id love to, all ive seen were $90+ and right now Im trying to find the budget for a waterbottle and gloves...
I bought a padded liner (for wearing under shorts) for about $20 from Nashbar.com.

Also shop eBay for used baggy mountain bike shorts. A lot of good stuff for cheap, if you can throw it in the wash and get over the ick factor.
Old 06-26-17, 01:19 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
awesome. reminds me what one actor (maybe Matthew McConaughey) once said about his running. "I run as far as I can, and then I turn back". doubt I'd take that philosophy literally, tho
Old 06-26-17, 02:20 PM
bo31210

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"AND, I've had 1 soda all day (Im usually 6000 calories in soda a day...) and am feeling good. "

Please tell me you aren't drinking that many soft drinks in a day............
Old 06-26-17, 02:37 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
pain and suffering is addictive...

keep it up!!
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 06-26-17, 04:23 PM
Deadman
Roadrash not included

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bo31210
"AND, I've had 1 soda all day (Im usually 6000 calories in soda a day...) and am feeling good. "

Please tell me you aren't drinking that many soft drinks in a day............
not anymore. But I used to go thru a case in a couple days, plus what I drank at work and out to eat. I wish I was kidding when I say this, but there was about 2 years where I know I never drank water (I considered tea to be water).
Old 06-27-17, 09:12 AM
msquared22

Bikes: Salsa Vaya X9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go! This is awesome.

And I imagine by just not drinking soda, you will lose some pounds!
Old 06-30-17, 05:35 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I love ur attitude! Keep it up, it does get easier over time. As far as equipment fies you really don't need to spend a lot. There are usually sum shops that carry the cheaper equipment if you can't wait or mail order if you don't mind. In my experience some sort of padding on the butt is a must yet I cannot wear gloves as my hands go numb. Everyone is different and you will need to experiment to find out what works for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.