Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brake Shifters on my Surly Disc Trucker?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 10-16-18, 09:10 AM
54OldnWay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just purchased a Disc Trucker, put over 100 miles on it and I can not get comfortable with the Bar End shifters. Has anyone put Break Shifters on the Disc Trucker and would I need to change the Derailleurs. I'm considering 105s
Thanks
Bill
Old 10-16-18, 11:14 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
How many speeds and which dérailleurs does your bike have? Road dérailleurs and some mountain dérailleurs will work. The 105 you are looking should match the number of speeds on your bike.
Old 10-16-18, 11:42 AM
54OldnWay

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
10 speed with Shimano XT RD-T780 rear derailleurs.
Old 10-16-18, 11:48 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Road shifters won't work with Shimano MTB derailleurs 10sp or above, different cable pull ratio. If you want Shimano 105 10speed (aka 5700) you'd need to get a 105 10sp RD.

That said, Shimano 5700 sucks. (obviously this is opinion but it's based on my experience.)

While you're upgrading might as well go to 11-speed (if your hub can fit an 11-speed cassette). Or go with 10-speed Tiagra (which isn't compatible with 10-speed 105 for some reason.)
Old 10-16-18, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,489 Times in 7,316 Posts
If he wants to keep the 34t cog on the back he will need a RD that can accommodate that.
Old 10-16-18, 12:26 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Have you considered Gevenalle shifters? They are identical to bar end or down tube shifters but mounted at the brake lever. By default the complete set comes with Microshift indexed shift levers. I bought their Audax model (brake levers and bosses only without shifters) and installed Rivendell Silver friction shifters. Love them! You might be able to re-use shift levers from your Surly on Audax bosses. No need to change derailleurs.

The video at the top of this page compares the Gevenalle's function side by side with Shimano STIs...

https://www.gevenalle.com/shifters/

edit- Yep! you can transfer your bar end levers to the Gevenalle Audax bosses...

" Compatible units include Shimano 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 speed bar-end and down-tube shifters."

That said, I'm not sure if the Audax brake lever is available for your long pull brakes. Several other models with shifters included (CX and GX) are made for long pull. You probably should consult the mfr to confirm compatibility with your brakes and derailleur if you're interested.

Last edited by BobG; 10-16-18 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-16-18, 12:29 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Is Tiagra compatible with mtb stuff? I thought I read somewhere that there was an oddball road shifter that was mtb compatible. If Tiagra isn’t compatible with other road derailers, maybe it is with mtb derailers?
Old 10-16-18, 01:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Faq

Often ,, as posted here many times before..
+1 ...
If you buy Gevenalle brake levers you can move the same shifter
onto the front of that brake lever.

By keeping the left shifter, friction , you resolve all the incompatibility front derailleur issues .
others have mentioned , above..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-16-18 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-16-18, 01:51 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 54OldnWay
Just purchased a Disc Trucker, put over 100 miles on it and I can not get comfortable with the Bar End shifters. Has anyone put Break Shifters on the Disc Trucker and would I need to change the Derailleurs. I'm considering 105s Thanks Bill
Your best option is learn to love your Microshift barcons. As other posters have stated, conversion to brake-shifters (aka brifters) would be costly, additionally the brake calipers on Surly DT are the long-cable-pull / MTB version, so you'd also need new short-cable-pull brake calipers for compatibility with brifters. You're looking at $300-400 cost, possibly less if your LBS is willing to swap parts.
Old 10-16-18, 01:57 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
Is Tiagra compatible with mtb stuff? I thought I read somewhere that there was an oddball road shifter that was mtb compatible. If Tiagra isn’t compatible with other road derailers, maybe it is with mtb derailers?
I don't think so -- going off memory here but 10-speed Tiagra cable pull is different than 10-speed 105 because they wanted Tiagra derailleurs to be compatible with Shimano 11-speed 105 and Ultegra.

Shimano 10-speed (105 and Ultegra) road shifters will work with older Shimano 9-speed MTB (non-clutch) derailleurs. I used a 105 shifter and a 9-speed Deore derailleur with an 11-36 cassette for a while. Shifting was sloppy though and the 11-36 was overkill so now I use an 11-32 and a road derailleur.

Also I think SRAM road and MTB stuff is cross-compatible, or at least it used to be.

Anyway now I use Campy
Old 10-16-18, 10:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Another plus one for Gevenalle Audax (or any of their "brifters") I use them on my Co-Motion and they are excellent. The only qualm I have is I am not a huge fan of the actual levers themselves, they are fine quality but not as ergonomic as I would like but you can go hydraulic and get their shifters mounted on TRP Hylex levers. The actual design is excellent and I am so glad I switched to them on my touring bike and I semi-regret not putting them on my Phil Wood build but I couldn't fathom losing the Dura-Ace 7400 levers even if it means downtube shifters.
Old 10-17-18, 05:32 AM
waddo

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
My wife a few years was a complete bike novice. Her first real bike was a Specialized cross bike. Her bike now is a Surly with mustachio bars and the usual bar end shifters. She got used to it and never talks about it any more.

I would suggest keep riding and you will also get used to it and maybe even start to enjoy the motion of moving hour hands to the shifter.
Old 10-17-18, 08:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Some mis-matched deraileurs and shifters can be made to work with a Jtek adapter. You would have to research which one to make them work. But I think that is limited to the rear, last time I checked they did not make an adapter for the front.
Jtek ShiftMate Gear Shifting Adapter for Shimano Campagnolo and SRAM components

On my rando bike I am running a brifter for the rear, downtube friction shifter for the front. As noted above, a front friction shifter solves the problem of incompatability.
Old 10-17-18, 09:04 AM
54OldnWay

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by waddo
My wife a few years was a complete bike novice. Her first real bike was a Specialized cross bike. Her bike now is a Surly with mustachio bars and the usual bar end shifters. She got used to it and never talks about it any more.

I would suggest keep riding and you will also get used to it and maybe even start to enjoy the motion of moving hour hands to the shifter.
I am still making adjustments to my setup so I will stay with the BarEnd shifters for a while. Not sure what moving hour hands to shifters mean
Thanks all for the reply's
Old 10-17-18, 10:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Meaning the shifters don't lay under your fingers, With hands on the drop bar brake hoods

so you move one or both hands to the bottom of the drop bars to shift..
Its a Tour not a race.. enjoy the scenery ..

(Though there are racing tours, (each June, on transamerica route )
but they ride race bikes)

Old 10-17-18, 11:56 AM
54OldnWay

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Meaning the shifters don't lay under your fingers, With hands on the drop bar brake hoods

so you move one or both hands to the bottom of the drop bars to shift..
Its a Tour not a race.. enjoy the scenery ..

(Though there are racing tours, (each June, on transamerica route )
but they ride race bikes)

Thank you
Old 10-17-18, 12:02 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,645 Times in 4,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
7,8, and 9 speed road levers work with 7,8,9 speed MTB rear derailleurs. Need to get a road front der, though.
Old 10-17-18, 03:56 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
FYI, Brifter is not a thing. Try STI Lever or just road shifter levers.

" Shimano Total Integration (STI) is a gearshift system designed by Shimano for racing bicycles. It combines the braking and gear shifting controls into the same component. This allows shifting gears without having to remove a hand from the bars, unlike previous down tube shifting systems."

So it's safer too.
Old 10-17-18, 04:56 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by linus
FYI, Brifter is not a thing. Try STI Lever or just road shifter levers.

" Shimano Total Integration (STI) is a gearshift system designed by Shimano for racing bicycles. It combines the braking and gear shifting controls into the same component. This allows shifting gears without having to remove a hand from the bars, unlike previous down tube shifting systems."

So it's safer too.
STI would be more descriptive if they had never made STI MTB levers. Unfortunately they did.

I guess it's been long enough now since the STI MTB stuff was made that it would only confuse those familiar with C&V MTB stuff.

Also, brifter can refer to Campagnolo, Sram, Microshift brifters, which can be useful when brand doesn't matter.
Old 10-17-18, 10:29 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I wanted to convert from 3X9/bar-end shifters to road triple STI/hydraulic levers but Shimano doesn't seem to make a wide-range touring version. To me getting STI w/o hydraulic means spending $$ for half a loaf. Gevenalle/TRP Hylex combo looks nice but ~$400 upgrade. Bar-end is a bit more effort but I think moving hands/arms helps circulation a bit.
Old 10-18-18, 06:31 AM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
STI would be more descriptive if they had never made STI MTB levers. Unfortunately they did.

I guess it's been long enough now since the STI MTB stuff was made that it would only confuse those familiar with C&V MTB stuff.

Also, brifter can refer to Campagnolo, Sram, Microshift brifters, which can be useful when brand doesn't matter.
Like I said, Brifter is not a thing. If you don't like STI(Shimano is the pioneer), try road shifter.
Old 10-18-18, 06:58 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I'm going to ask a different question.

What is it you don't like about bar end shifters? Perhaps the issue is with your handlebars or with the angle of the shifters. I have bar ends on my touring bike, and my bar of choice is an older randonneuring bar, narrow at the shoulder with a bit of an upcurve, and flared a bit at the ends. Also, the bottoms of my bars are not horizontal, but are angled to be in line with the rear brake pads, and the shifters themselves are not vertical, but are angled out a bit. I'm not sure from your post what you don't like about your shifters, but I would play a bit with angles to see whether that makes a difference for you.
Old 10-18-18, 07:52 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
brifter, accepted term for any road brake/shifting system, no matter the brand.

Oldway, unfortunately as mentioned, you're looking at at least 400 bucks+ for a change to brifter type shifters. X dollars for the actual shifter units, X dollars for a 10 speed brifter compatible rear derailleur that can handle up to 34t, and the mechanic time for installation and changing of cables and maybe housings.

Gevenalle ones are about 200 or so, but may not be your cup of tea. I love mine but thats me and they are not as fun as using brifters.
Old 10-18-18, 10:56 AM
54OldnWay

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by revcp
What is it you don't like about bar end shifters? Perhaps the issue is with your handlebars or with the angle of the shifters. I have bar ends on my touring bike, and my bar of choice is an older randonneuring bar, narrow at the shoulder with a bit of an upcurve, and flared a bit at the ends. Also, the bottoms of my bars are not horizontal, but are angled to be in line with the rear brake pads, and the shifters themselves are not vertical, but are angled out a bit. I'm not sure from your post what you don't like about your shifters, but I would play a bit with angles to see whether that makes a difference for you.

As I stated I've only put about 150 miles on the bike and the over all setup is still a work in progress. I should note all my bikes are road bikes with Break Shifters. Last week I did 100 mile round trip pulling a trailer in traffic, at times with a narrow shoulder and when I needed to shift I was fumbling around for the shifter or I had to take my eyes off the road. If I was on my road bike it would not have been an issue.. I'm not planning on making any changes to the shifters and will work on getting comfortable with them but wanted to know my options.

Thanks again for all the feed back
Old 10-18-18, 11:28 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by linus
Like I said, Brifter is not a thing. If you don't like STI(Shimano is the pioneer), try road shifter.
Road shifter is a little vague.

STI is too vague also, you mean STI like these? https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/...dproduct=17815

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.