Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New Bike, riding after a couple summers off

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-07-19, 02:18 PM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Dear Everyone,

I dunno if I count as an Athena or not. I haven't ridden for a couple of years, but have missed it very much. I think part of the reason I don't ride is because it's lonely to ride alone. But, good news! I taught both of my best friend's daughters to ride pedal bikes (ages 5 and 7) and hoping I'll be able to go on "family" bike rides with them soon.

Anyway, I remember this forum being the most friendly and supportive spot on this website, so I hope I can hang out even if I don't actually lose any poundage....... If I did lose 5 or 40 pounds that wouldn't be a bad thing, but I'm mostly in it for the fun and the happy brain chemicals.

Photos of new bike attached! And a kind-of selfie.

Jessica

Last edited by Bikeforumuser0019; 05-07-19 at 02:25 PM.
Likes For Bikeforumuser0019:
Old 05-08-19, 08:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
gorgeous! have fun! be safe! yay!
Old 05-08-19, 09:25 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Nice bike
Old 05-11-19, 04:23 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
I like the purple color. It is a lot more interesting than the "flat black" that you see everywhere. Riding with groups definitely helps a person to get in the groove. Check for your local bike club where you live and find that group that will do a "no drop" ride at an average speed you are comfortable with. I notice your bike is a hybrid which is great for fun rides. As a group rider myself, I'm always encouraging hybrid riders who are wanting to get more serious to do what his necessary to eek some additional speed out of your "steed". For me that means a drop handlebar road bike. Your Cannondale is pretty high tech and versatile. There are things you can do to it to keep it current to your fitness level as you get better. I'm biased because I always notice that flat bar bikes give me ulnar nerve pain in my hands and wrists after a few miles. When I ride in a combination of road bike handlebar tops, hoods and drops - the compression issue magically becomes - a non-issue!
Old 05-14-19, 07:45 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Hi, thanks for your comments. If I swapped out my flat handlebars for a drop handlebar, wouldn't that mess up the "geometry"? I do get numbness in my hands when I ride, but I think it's because I lock my elbows and put too much weight

Also, I've been reluctant to join group rides with strangers because I don't especially enjoy salty language, explicit humor, or beer. My local bike shop suggested a ladies' riding group to me that was completely made up of jokes and horrible puns about one's menstrual cycle..... really gross, and in my opinion not feminine or lady-like to be deliberately vulgar like that. It was discouragement for me to ask my LBS for advice on a group to ride with, and that was what they though I "might really like". Does that mean that's what all women who cycle "really like"?

Not that I'm judging. People can be gross, explicit, or drink beer after every ride if they want. I just don't think that kind of group would be fun for me. Not that this is your problem to fix, I just haven't been excited to find a group ride and I'm bummed about it.
Old 05-14-19, 10:49 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by College3.0
Hi, thanks for your comments. If I swapped out my flat handlebars for a drop handlebar, wouldn't that mess up the "geometry"? I do get numbness in my hands when I ride, but I think it's because I lock my elbows and put too much weight

Also, I've been reluctant to join group rides with strangers because I don't especially enjoy salty language, explicit humor, or beer. My local bike shop suggested a ladies' riding group to me that was completely made up of jokes and horrible puns about one's menstrual cycle..... really gross, and in my opinion not feminine or lady-like to be deliberately vulgar like that. It was discouragement for me to ask my LBS for advice on a group to ride with, and that was what they though I "might really like". Does that mean that's what all women who cycle "really like"?

Not that I'm judging. People can be gross, explicit, or drink beer after every ride if they want. I just don't think that kind of group would be fun for me. Not that this is your problem to fix, I just haven't been excited to find a group ride and I'm bummed about it.
I don't blame you for not wanting to join that group...I don't mind language or beer, but from your description it seems a bit over the top to me in terms of the grossitude.

I don't do group rides either, largely because I just like to ride my own ride. My wife and I occasionally hit a trail with another couple who are long time friends, and that's as close to a group as I want to get.

As for the bars, you've got bar ends on there for a different hand position, I don't see a need to switch to drops. I personally really dislike drops, so I find more positions on the flats...if you want to change, maybe trekking bars - more positions, no drops.
Old 05-14-19, 12:28 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
going to drop bar would need new shifters and stuff. Try messing with the angles on the bar ends, they see too vertical and pinching the nerves in the wrist causing the numb hands. Also saddle seems leaning forward and can cause you to "slide" into the bike more, putting more weight on the wrist.

Don't be scared on group rides, you may not hit the right group the first time, so try others.

enjoy the new bike and take lots of pics where you ride.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.