Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-04, 09:56 AM
billh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St Louis . . . dateline . . . coldest day of the year yet, low 30's (F), patches of ice, but sunny, blue and beautiful! Much better than the last two days!!! My only fuss was that I washed my gloves and the thumb of the liner on the left glove got all knotted up. Man, that bugged me all the way in.
Old 12-01-04, 10:32 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Similar weather to St. Louis here in Sactown. As I rode through my neighborhood nearly every driveway had an idling car. I even saw my neighbor bring out a pan of hot water to de-ice his windshield. Sheesh, you'd think this was International Falls. . . Anyway, the ride was brisk. Since my commute is so short, I was just getting comfortable as I made it to the office.
Old 12-01-04, 11:10 AM
shiftlessbast-
how does it corner?

Bikes: De Bernardi track, Shogun fixie, Salvagetti 'cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostontrevor
So there I was, flying along, different ride, different gear, different route, favorite shoes, nothing in my way, and totally elemental. It was raining today and my commute was the better for it.
That's a great post. It is amazing how changing a few items can make you feel like you are experiencing things anew. Just altering my patterns to deal with the recent snow here has upped the Adventure Factor in my daily ride significantly. Yay, bad weather! Every silver lining has a dark cloud!
Old 12-01-04, 11:25 AM
Hawkear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was my coldest commute yet (~46 F), since I started in June. I almost turned back a mile out, because my fingers were in pain (fingerless gloves), but I sucked it up and rode the next 15 miles. Looking forward to my ride back in the dark. It's fun, cruising along the Santa Ana River (if you can call it a river right now) at night.
Old 12-01-04, 11:31 AM
SaskCyclist
The Land of Living Skies

Bikes: Kona Hahannah, Rocky Mountain RC-30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An awesome ride today. It snowed about an inch last night (today is the first day of a regular winter). I finally used the Nokians I paid an arm and a leg for. I saw many cars spinning in an effort to get going on hardpack snow. In Saskatchewan we rarely get slushy snow. Any precip from now until March will likely be regular snow that won't bung any gears up. It is truely unbeleivable how much the snow takes sounds out of the atmosphere. Temp is -7C with a slight wind.

All around it was a great ride and I look forward to more snow.
Old 12-01-04, 12:09 PM
Tree Trunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
...I stopped by BloodSource before work to exchange 410 billion platelets for all the cookies and juice I could consume. ....I hope there's enough charge left in my nightrider battery.
LOL from both of these quotes.

1. Heartland Blood Center is right next door to my local Trek/Klein/Lemond dealer. Guess where I go every eight weeks? He has a nice Klein road he is just dying to deal right now and I sooooooo much want to put myself in debt.
2. My Nightrider left me in the dark two weeks ago after I forgot to charge the night before. I was OK for the ride in but was screwed for the dark ride home.

Good day!
Old 12-01-04, 12:30 PM
Tree Trunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am experiencing a lot of the same weather some other posts are experiencing. It snowed last night and froze overnight. The temperature was just above 32 F when the wet snow started but the temp dropped below 32 F soon after the snow started. This morning was icy and treacherous, especially when it was dark. When I left at 6 AM it was too dark, even with a light, to see some of the ice. A lot of the side roads had not been visited by a snow plow or salt truck, so they were extra treacherous. The shoulder was too icy to ride for most of the ride, so I had to ride in the road. Thank goodness I left early enough that the traffic was light. There was very little wind, so the cold was not a factor this morning.

I have several warm fuzzies to take away from this morning's commute, however. My coworkers are in awe and I was in awe at the beauty I saw as the light emerged during my ride. Despite the difficulty of the ride I feel recharged. December 1 and I am still riding -- that's a good sign!
Old 12-01-04, 12:53 PM
ajkloss42
The 'net ruined cycling

Bikes: Steelman Eurocross, Peugeot U08 fixie, Specialized Expidition, Raleigh Sprite 27, Serotta CDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ack. It was warm enough this morning (25 F) but I'm somewhat shell-shocked after two weeks of riding on a tropical isle. Between the cold, the ice, the riding on the right instead of left side of the road, sleep deprevation, and switching to fixed after the last two weeks of multispeed bike riding, it was wacky. It's definitely time to put the cx bike back together (took the goodies with me on vacation, pedals, seat, seatpost, computer, lights).
Old 12-01-04, 03:06 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
My first post to this sticky. Well last night my head light died, this morning rained like helll but I squeezed in between cloudburst and rather balmy but this PM we've got 50mph winds to battle with temps droping like a stone. Hope they are mostly tail winds. Charlie
Old 12-01-04, 04:05 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Caloso...we are about 400 miles south of you? Yesterday I rode home.Today drove the car...A new experience for So Cal..Today, I had to idle my car to get the ice off the windows...Did not have that problem with yesteday's bike ride...Just a sudden arctic blast..Weird weather..
Next PM commute..Will spare No gear in order to be preparred..
Observed a first for Southern California...The fans were on at the citrus groves..to keep the oranges from freezing...Been in California 14 years..Never observed that before...So far never seen the smudge pots fired up..

Last edited by cyclezealot; 12-01-04 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-01-04, 08:33 PM
chizlr40

Bikes: cannondale,trex,schwinn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rode monday and tuesday this week 25degrees F both days in the morning but warmed ur to 42 on the way home. wind from the north made it feel just as cold as my morning ride. love it ride on.
Old 12-01-04, 08:42 PM
Alphie
Right calf grease tattoo

Bikes: '02 Alpe D'Huez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold and windy this morning while riding in. At one point I was going down a slight downhill, thought I was traveling quickly despite the wind and happened to look down and notice I was in the middle chain ring, not the big cog as I had thought. haha The headwind fooled me.

Ride home was even cooler. Will break out the long sleeves tomorrow, the Weather Channel is threatening 29 F for the morning ride. Nippy.
Old 12-01-04, 09:42 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Another stupidly hot morning, but not quite so bad today (only 25 degrees C this time). Also had my first cold shower of the summer before heading out -- about two months later than I normally would. I forgot to mention yesterday's record, passing six cars in a row. No, they weren't gridlocked, I did them all for straight line speed.

That is all.
Old 12-01-04, 10:49 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
Nice weather pattern this week: rain showers at night, overcast in the morning turning to broken clouds & sunbreaks. As I prepared to leave work to commute home for lunch, I passed a co-worker, Brian, repairing a flat on his singlespeed. He had a slow leak on the way in this morning caused by a chunk of glass. I must have ridden through the same patch because I flatted about a mile out from work. Rear wheel! I checked carefully & couldn't find anything still in the tire so stuffed in my spare tube & headed on home only to flat again within about 500 yards. Dang! since I had used up about 1/3 of my lunch hour already & the spare tube had 5 or 6 patches on it, I decided to just ride home on the flat. Found I could maintain about 10-11 MPH. Not bad. Since this was my second 2 flat day in a week, I stopped by the LBS for a new set of tires for the Motobecane. The Gommitalia tires I had been riding had tread left but were covered with cuts & punctures some of which went clear through & probably let road grit, glass etc in to do their dirty work. Got some Michilin Dynamics. Shop owner says he rides them in the Winter so I have high hopes. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 12-01-04 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-02-04, 12:12 AM
spidercyclist
The Spider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride to work & home . Rode the ss today .
Have a good nite .
Old 12-02-04, 05:26 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
You should give them a break. I'm sure the 'ditch digger' would much rather be sipping a mai tai on a hawaiian island.
I don't blame them for wanting to escape the heat, I just wish pay for it by sticking to a task they're good at, not attempting one for which they have no ability.

That is all.
Old 12-02-04, 06:29 AM
ridealot
Cyclist and village idiot

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana S 2001 Trek 2200 1999 Schwinn Mesa 1989 Mangussa?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been awhile since I have been able to commute to work. The ride in today was really nice, tempature was around 28F, cool and crisp. Light traffic this morning.
Old 12-02-04, 06:41 AM
funbun
Doomsled

Bikes: Performer JC-70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
32 deg. F This is the first freeze of the season here in 'bama. High of 58 today. Happy I bought my mittens and long johns!!!
Old 12-02-04, 07:11 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
37F and a 20MPH tailwind. Life is good.
Old 12-02-04, 08:17 AM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bright and a crisp 32F. Low wind, low traffic. A very nice ride in today. I just wish they'd finish the 2 month long road construction so I can have my normal route back.
Old 12-02-04, 08:21 AM
Map tester
I am not a car

Bikes: Giant Revel 1, Surly Ogre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sunny and cold (30°F at home). Still working on getting the right mix of layers. Only wore thermals on the legs and the inner thighs were a bit cold by the time I got to work. Also the toes and finger tips were a bit numb, but everything fine now. Hope y'all have a great day!
Old 12-02-04, 08:41 AM
madhouse

Bikes: '14 Bacchetta Corsa, '93 Ryan Vanguard, Action Bent SWB USS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed my tire was low before I started; I pumped it up. 8 miles later I was flat. First flat in the 892 miles since July 19th. I was having trouble with my pump when a coworker stopped. I threw my bike in the back of his van and accepted the ride in.

Up to that point the ride was going well. I'll need to fix the flat at lunch, before the ride home.
Old 12-02-04, 08:45 AM
cicadashell
heliocentrist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
another dry day! two in a row, only because i had to go to toledo early yesterday so i didn't ride in the freezing slush. woohoo!
Old 12-02-04, 10:03 AM
SaskCyclist
The Land of Living Skies

Bikes: Kona Hahannah, Rocky Mountain RC-30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had trouble getting motivated this morning. Once I got going it was all good. On route one cager was pulling out of a driveway and when he did finally see me I must have scared him good because he really hammered on the brakes. Funny though, I thought that he hadn't seen me but I wasn't concerned because I had lots of time to hammer the brakes if I needed to. Only other incident was a van squeezing by me. Probably close enough to smack the window if I wanted. All in all it was a good ride at -7C with no wind. It is supposed to snow and -27C next week so a day like today will feel like a heat wave.
Old 12-02-04, 10:16 AM
BenyBen
winter is comming

Bikes: Mikado kensington 2003, "commuterized" 8yr old Mongoose hilltopper SX, Baycrest Hurricane 10 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First commute since last thrusday! I got sick and I felt too ****y to ride, even though it woulv'e probably helped me to ride.

I'm so gald I picked it up agian. I was going crazy with the lack of riding time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.