Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Technical issue with brake lever?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-22-19, 02:47 PM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Hello,
I realize this question might be better off in a mechanical part of the forum, except I don't have the best vocabulary to describe what's going on.

My bike is brand new, and it's been sitting inside for about a week, and I just noticed this morning that the right hand brake lever does not squeeze smoothly, rather I would describe it as "gravelly". The one on the left hand side still pulls super smooth. What could have happened to it while it was sitting inside ?

Sorry for being vague, I could take it to the bike shop but it doesn't seem like anything is wrong, it just feels like the line has sand in it or something, for no reason. I'm a little flummoxed and embarrassed to complain about it to bike shop dudes.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 05-22-19, 03:04 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 74 Posts
What kind of brakes? Cable operated rim brakes, cable-op disks, hydraulic disks?
Old 05-22-19, 03:05 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
what bike? Quick 6?

V brakes are the most picky of picky brake systems every invented for a bike.

remove the Caliper arm with the allen tool, you will see 3 holes in the frame. Each provides a different spring rate of return to rest position. Make sure the metal 90* noodle is touching the caliper arm or it may cause more issues. You caliper spring is likely installed on the hole nearest to the tire. Try the middle or far setting, may have to mess with brake levers on the handlebars to fine fit.

Avids has a red adjustment screw for the reach similar to a Hydro brake. Some OEM levers do not have this so this would be a well spent $25
https://www.jensonusa.com/Avid-Speed...BoC39sQAvD_BwE
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-23-19, 05:26 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Hi everyone. Sorry, I should have specified V brakes. I don't know if I'm up for taking the calipers apart. Mostly because I'm miffed that just got this bike and I've only gone for one ride thus far. May just take back to bike shop to save my sanity..... and I have a longish ride scheduled for Saturday without a lot of time for bike tinkering between now and then.

esterday afternoon I noticed that the left hand brake now also has lost it's smoothness and feels sandy or gravelly, or cable rubby (for lack of better descriptors). The right side is def worse, tho. I must have buggered them up doing something, although I can't imagine what.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-19, 08:16 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Sounds like a cable issue. Removing the brake arms would be a step way down the road if other more likely problems are ruled out.

One possible explanation I can think of is that the cable housing was installed without a ferrule (cable housing ends), which often leads to the end of the housing getting deformed.
How the brake function went from good to crap while sitting in your house is a mystery, though.
Another possibility is that something added to the bike has a clamp or strap that is interfering with the cable. These are generally easy problems to fix if you spot them.

If you bought the bike from a bike shop then you paid a premium for the privilege of referring maintenance items to them when it is new. If you are concerned they will likely be eager to make things right... and it doesn't sound like a terribly big problem.
Old 05-23-19, 08:23 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by jsigone
what bike? Quick 6?

V brakes are the most picky of picky brake systems every invented for a bike.

remove the Caliper arm with the allen tool, you will see 3 holes in the frame. Each provides a different spring rate of return to rest position. Make sure the metal 90* noodle is touching the caliper arm or it may cause more issues. You caliper spring is likely installed on the hole nearest to the tire. Try the middle or far setting, may have to mess with brake levers on the handlebars to fine fit.

Avids has a red adjustment screw for the reach similar to a Hydro brake. Some OEM levers do not have this so this would be a well spent $25
https://www.jensonusa.com/Avid-Speed...BoC39sQAvD_BwE
Good effort, but no. 0/3.

The problem being described is not one of spring balance that can be fixed by switching holes.

And the red knob on Avid SD levers is definitely not a reach adjustment - it is a leverage adjustment to change the feel or (possibly) make the brakes compatible with short- or long-pull brakes. There is a reach adjustment on the ones you linked, but it is an allen-head screw near the clamp (black screw visible in the link), but these are found on most brake levers.

Also, V brakes are generally considered the easiest brakes to set up - there is only washer placement and pad alignment (all done with one tool), then attach the cable. I can't imagine what difficulty you are having, unless you are talking about very cheap v brakes or the short-lived models that Shimano used to sell that used cantilver-style 'smooth post' pads - they were a pain in the arse.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 05-23-19, 08:35 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Post #3 on this thread!

Are you talking about the purple Cannondale found in other posts? Because if you are I have a couple suggestions:

1. The last segment of housing on the rear brake - where the housing terminates at the rear - appears to have a tight bend in it. This bit of housing could probably be shortened by a couple cms, or other adjustments made, to reduce this kink.
2. If the wheels have been removed or the brake cables released from the brakes to remove the wheels, the loss of tension allows the cable housing to slip out of the brake lever, and when you go to reattach the brakes the housing doesn't go back into the lever properly. This will cause the brake action to feel extremely rough but otherwise seem to function properly.
Old 06-09-19, 11:54 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
You said it was a new bike, take it back to the shop, they should look at it for free. be sure to ask them what was causing the problem and how they fixed it.
Likes For cyclist2000: