Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

tubeless tape glue ?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

tubeless tape glue ?

Old 06-12-19, 09:56 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
tubeless tape glue ?

would be a good idea to use some rubber cement to make the tubeless tape stick better ?

im having minor trouble recently , my tubeless tape was old so i pulled it all off and put some more down , but the valve started leaking .

so i replaced it again thinking the tape was just not on right , now the spokes are leaking air seemingly on all side , at least the one soapy water touched while washing !

im wondering if its just the valve , is old or just worn and needs to be replaced , maybe wrench it down , i do carry a wrench while running tubeless because when they fail they fail big , all sealant leaks out and i need to tube it up """"""""

Last edited by Teamprovicycle; 06-12-19 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 05:41 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
If its leaking air from the spoke holes, it is most likely to be from the valve stem. They need to be really tight to seal. If you can easily loosen it with your fingers, its not nearly tight enough. I push the valve from the inside with my thumb(hard enough to hurt my thumb and leave a mark) while tightening the nut. If they have a metal nut, there is no way I could remove it without pliers. I use valve stems with a larger diameter plastic nut that makes it easier to remove on the road.
Old 06-13-19, 06:44 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Spoke hole leaks could be the valve but could also be anywhere else too. When the air leaks by the tape the spoke holes or around the valve is where it exits. Sealant may eventually get it but sometimes not. I give it a chance and will retape if not. Additional glue would not help. My method.. clean clean and clean the wheel surface. Apply tape big enough to cover a bit of the side wall of wheel. Put a tire and tube on and pump up to > 50#. Let air out and break one side of the tire bead down and remove tube. Insert tubeless stem and fill with air to seat tire again. Remove valve core and inject sealant. Fill back up, enjoy!!! Seems like a lot of steps but not bad and if everything went well you should have a good tubeless experieincee for the life of that tire. I have one of those window screen rollers and sometimes I'll run that along the corner of the rim wall before putting the tube in. It can't hurt.
Old 06-18-19, 03:55 AM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the mavic cosmic elites , so there is a chamber between the rim and the spokes ,

it has to be the valve , so I bought a new one and it's better , im wondering how to seat the valve , does it need more tight , or maybe some grease it can slide on the hole better giggity??

Last edited by Teamprovicycle; 06-18-19 at 07:56 PM.