Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vitus 979 frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19, 04:57 PM
merlinrkd

Bikes: BMZ Performance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Vitus 979 frame

I have a Vitus frame and fork. Measures 21.5" from the center of the BB to top of the seat tube. Don't see any damage. The rear brake cable is hidden in the top tube. Came with a Japanese seat post. I'm unlikely to figure out about loading pictures. Any value ideas?
Old 07-22-19, 05:28 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
This topic should be moved to the evaluation and appraisal sub forum for best responses.
Old 07-22-19, 06:56 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.
Old 07-22-19, 10:08 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Pics could help a lot for evaluations, but I suspect you might not have gotten to post the 10 posts minimum for the site to let you post pics.
Sight unseen, only thing I can tell you for a value on a 979 frameset is condition of the frame is much more critical to getting maximum value for it. Unfortunately everyone and their grandmothers are leery and suspicious about how well bonded frames like the 979 can stand up to time and use. You pretty much have to have a 979 frame that is close to or at NOS condition, to get any money from them. Any sign of significant wear and use just craters the value severely.
So, at GC, a realistic value would be something like $150, max these days, also considering the depressed C&V market that does not seem to have any chance of recovering in the near future.
A close to or NOS 979 frameset, maybe 195 bucks max in most cases, maybe up to 225 on a really good day to the right buyer who is just itching curious to finally try out a 979. "Beater" condition 979s are getting pretty much close to worthless these days. Nobody would touch them. The continuing ample supply of ridable 979s for sale at eBay does not help. At least the good number of them still around proves that they are more reliable than what people always thought they were.
Old 07-24-19, 10:02 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Pics could help a lot for evaluations, but I suspect you might not have gotten to post the 10 posts minimum for the site to let you post pics.
Sight unseen, only thing I can tell you for a value on a 979 frameset is condition of the frame is much more critical to getting maximum value for it. Unfortunately everyone and their grandmothers are leery and suspicious about how well bonded frames like the 979 can stand up to time and use. You pretty much have to have a 979 frame that is close to or at NOS condition, to get any money from them. Any sign of significant wear and use just craters the value severely.
So, at GC, a realistic value would be something like $150, max these days, also considering the depressed C&V market that does not seem to have any chance of recovering in the near future.
A close to or NOS 979 frameset, maybe 195 bucks max in most cases, maybe up to 225 on a really good day to the right buyer who is just itching curious to finally try out a 979. "Beater" condition 979s are getting pretty much close to worthless these days. Nobody would touch them. The continuing ample supply of ridable 979s for sale at eBay does not help. At least the good number of them still around proves that they are more reliable than what people always thought they were.
All of the above. Frames were tougher than most poeople gave/give them credit for. Price remains lower than steel. I'm about to find out just how much...
Old 07-24-19, 05:08 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
"I'm unlikely to figure out about loading pictures." Google posting pictures Bikeforums.net I do this on any forum I am knew to, as most of the time, its been answered hundreds or even thousands of times before.
Old 07-24-19, 10:29 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinrkd
I have a Vitus frame and fork. Measures 21.5" from the center of the BB to top of the seat tube. Don't see any damage. The rear brake cable is hidden in the top tube. Came with a Japanese seat post. I'm unlikely to figure out about loading pictures. Any value ideas?
You need 10 posts to load a pic....go to the introduction subforum and say hello, after the count is up go to the icon box and find the pic icon and follow the prompts.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors