Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

On-Line Shoe buying

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

On-Line Shoe buying

Old 09-21-05, 11:20 AM
ginger green
Good Enough

Bikes: gary fisher mtb - Bridgestone road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On-Line Shoe buying

How do actually figure in sizing on these shoes. I know my sizing changes between nike and new balance when I'm trying on street shoes. So how confident are you in buying road shoes online. The sidi web page recommends trying on a shoe for 30 minutes before deciding if it fits. What's your experience been like?
Old 09-21-05, 11:25 AM
clfjmpr44

Bikes: 2000-Canary Yellow Trek 1000, 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personal preference here, but I would never buy a shoe online unless I had tried on the same model in a store. Too many variables including width, arch and differences in sizing to mess up on. I am an avid online gear buyer, but I don't go there with shoes unless i have tried them on.
A
Old 09-21-05, 11:29 AM
No Exit

Bikes: 05 Fuji Pro, 06 Mercier Serpens, 00 Ducati 750ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get mine online... i've bought 6 prs online (3 of which are cycling shoes) and 2 for my gf (one pr cycling shoes) and have gotten lucky on all of them. I always check the return policy first and make sure they can go back if they dont fit. Luckily, I've never run into this problem. I still buy shoes in stores but not often since I have more than enough shoes from ordering them.
Old 09-21-05, 11:31 AM
dogbro

Bikes: 2 Cannondales

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, I bought some nike ligure online. 43 supposed to be like 9.5. Too small for me. Money down the drain.
Anybody want 'em? Otherwise good shoe. I'll give 'em to ya for the cost to ship. Will probly fit 8.5 or 9.0.
--- dog

Originally Posted by clfjmpr44
Personal preference here, but I would never buy a shoe online unless I had tried on the same model in a store. Too many variables including width, arch and differences in sizing to mess up on. I am an avid online gear buyer, but I don't go there with shoes unless i have tried them on.
A
Old 09-21-05, 11:34 AM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my SIDI's on line. I based the size on my current Shimano shoe size (44.5) and what I have worn of SIDI's in the past. I purchsed the 45 seeing as the store did not sell half sizes, they fit great out of the box.

I have purchased a few pairs of dress and casual shoes on line with out any fit issues. YMMV
Old 09-21-05, 11:37 AM
ginger green
Good Enough

Bikes: gary fisher mtb - Bridgestone road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it safe to say that a 44.5 sidi is the same across different models? (for example)
Old 09-21-05, 11:41 AM
Jeprox
MTWThFMuter

Bikes: schwinn, raleigh, 'dale, litespeed, bianchi, surly, novara, brompton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have bought Sidi and Diadora shoes on line. They fit just right, exactly what their size indicates.
Old 09-21-05, 11:47 AM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ginger green
Is it safe to say that a 44.5 sidi is the same across different models? (for example)
I would say so for most shoe makers will generally use the same "Lasts" to design, shape and size the shoe to.

I use to own a pair of SIDI Genius 3 road shoes, and they were 44.5's. The MTB Dominators I bought on line feel slightly roomier at 45. I based my size on what I knew of my old SIDI road shoes.
Old 09-21-05, 11:48 AM
DamnRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
within models of the same brand would be consistent...

my personal experience, I bought my first road shoes online, diadora elites, size 46 (I wear a US 11) and got lucky they fit great....

I bought some Cat 1 Carbon Fiber soled shoes from Performance a few weeks ago... ordered 46 again (46 was what their fitment guide said to get, long story, see below)... these turned out to be waay too big, 2 sizes too big I thought, so I sent those back for an exchange and requested 44's. Well, received these yesterday and they're one size too small. So, I ordered 45's today. It took them 2 weeks turnaround on the 46 to 44 swap, so I called and they let me order the 45's today for same price as the original purchase (on sale for $100 - $10 for team performance - 20% coupon) and also waived the 2-day fedex charge to ship them to me so I'll have them by Friday. I just have to pay to ship the 44's back, which will be about $5, like when I shipped the 46's back.

Performance will work with you to keep you happy, that's my experience.

Now, my problem with the fitment guide... they had one fo those where you print it out and put your foot on it to see what size you wear... well I wasnt' aware that the PC I was on was set so that adobe acrobat reader would shrink images to fit on page so it slightly shrunk the fitment guide (the scale) so when i printed it out an dused it, it showed a 46 as the size I needed. When I reprinted to figure I needed a 44, I did it right, it just wasn't accurate, but a 45 will work. Just beware of issues like that.

The shoes I got are the Cat 1 Calibrier Carbon Fiber road shoes... I think they're made by exustar, they look like a good deal and th e46's and 44's I've tried are really nice, just not right size so I am sure I'll be happy with the 45's in the right size.

The tag on the shoes always shoes european AND us sizes, why can't they jus tshow the US size on the website? Would have saved me a whole lot of trouble because a 45 is a size 11 according to the box of the shoes. Geez.

Good luck.

Rock

Last edited by DamnRock; 09-21-05 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 12:16 PM
DamnRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, ginger green... your signature says the tour de cure is on October 9th... are you doing the Bentonville ride? I think that's on October 8th, right? Just wanted to clear that up... it's October 8th last I heard!

Rock
Old 09-21-05, 12:29 PM
craigery

Bikes: Trek 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go to performancebike.com and go to cycling tech support and then sizing. You'll see what size you need for what brand. good luck. I got my pearl izumi shoes a week or so ago and they fit like a glove.
Old 09-21-05, 12:45 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy shoes online, but I usually check a companies fit first in a store. And you can return merch to most major online houses.

I've bought every pair of my shoes online, but I checked the fit of Shimanos & Pearl Izumis in a store just to make sure their size chart synced up with my feet.
Old 09-21-05, 01:31 PM
bhh

Bikes: '05 Merlin Cyrene, '96 Cad 3 C'Dale "the boneshaker"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ginger green
IMHO, it is not safe to say that.

I recently bought a pair of Sidi 44s from one of my LBSes. I went in to get the Zeta but after trying it on, it didn't feel right on my foot (on the top where toes meet the foot). Tried a 43.5, way too tight. A 44.5, way too loose.

Came home with the Genius5... in a 44. Much better fit for me. I'm sure they design it that way too but oh well, it's a lot to spend on something that isn't just right.
Old 09-21-05, 01:33 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by craigery
go to performancebike.com and go to cycling tech support and then sizing. You'll see what size you need for what brand. good luck. I got my pearl izumi shoes a week or so ago and they fit like a glove.
I was looking at a pair of PI's and according to the Performance website they don't have my size, 10.5. They have a 43 for a 10 and 44 for 11. Which way should I go in this case? Hopefully 43 cause they don't have 44's in the shoe I am looking at...
Old 09-21-05, 01:36 PM
DamnRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
44 in some shoes is a 10.5.... I'd prefer to have shoes a half size to big than too small, just my opinion though

rock
Old 09-21-05, 01:37 PM
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't bet my money on buying shoes online. I wore a pair of Diadora shoes that I really liked. I ordered another pair just like them but a couple of years later. The news ones were the same size and kinda fit but, had I tried them on in a store, I wouldn't have bought them. They did not seem to have been built on the same last.

I wear a 43. I couldn't get my foot in a pair of Pearl Izumi 43s but the Specialized 43s were just right.
Old 09-21-05, 01:45 PM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's true companies sizing does vary. You can also check the PI, Shimano, Specialized, or whatever company site for sizing info.
Old 09-21-05, 01:53 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky07
It's true companies sizing does vary. You can also check the PI, Shimano, Specialized, or whatever company site for sizing info.
The PI site shows the same sizing as Performance in my situation. Guess maybe I will do the LBS thing for at least my first pair so I get it right...
Old 09-21-05, 02:42 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky07
Don't rely on size charts. They are not very accurate, and also do not consider shoe width or volume, which has almost as much impact on fit as shoe length.
Old 09-21-05, 03:10 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't do it now. I got lucky the one time I did with some Performance shoes 10 years ago, but since I've had trouble even when trying in stores.
Old 09-21-05, 04:23 PM
squeegy200

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had the three bears experience with buying shoes online. All the same indicated european equivalent to men's size 10.5

Sidi - Too Big
Diadora - Too small
Addidas - Just right
Old 09-24-05, 09:43 PM
Lord Chambers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only had one pair of cycling shoes, and I bought them online. I also bought my only bike online, as well as my shorts and jersey. The only item I actually bought locally was my saddle, so from where I stand, people are over cautious.
Old 09-25-05, 01:26 AM
MrAmazin17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.coloradocyclist.com has pretty good sizing chart across brands as long as you know your size in one of the brands they have listed. I switched from sidis to DMTs and used the size chart to get the difference. They fit like a glove. But i also was hesitant to order online without trying them on first. I think i lucked out.
Old 09-25-05, 07:31 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by af2nr
I was looking at a pair of PI's and according to the Performance website they don't have my size, 10.5. They have a 43 for a 10 and 44 for 11. Which way should I go in this case? Hopefully 43 cause they don't have 44's in the shoe I am looking at...
Why don't you just order one of each and return the one that doesn't fit?
Old 09-25-05, 08:33 AM
samp02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
USe the performance .99 cent shipping code...I believe its still good and return to your heart is content. Performance has the best return policy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.