Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done a one way steamboat / other way cycle tour?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 07:10 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I'm considering taking a one way trip on something like the Delta Queen steam boat, then return by bicycle. I think it would be very interesting. Has anyone ever tried this or at least looked into it? Does anyone know if they would carry bicycles?
Old 07-30-07, 09:35 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I'm considering taking a one way trip on something like the Delta Queen steam boat, then return by bicycle. I think it would be very interesting. Has anyone ever tried this or at least looked into it? Does anyone know if they would carry bicycles?
The Delta Queen is beautiful! My bicycle has been on boats but never anything like that! I'm fairly certain they won't have any issues with a bicycle since those rooms are large. The return trip by bicyle is something I would do and all my trips by boat have been this way.

Find out the price of the trip and post it on the forum. We all need a price shock once in a while. ;-)
Old 07-31-07, 06:45 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Yeah I'm afraid it is expensive. But there is a new barge hotel on the river. Not near as beautiful as the Delta Queen. They do call it "luxery". Probably still expensive.

A buddy of mine used to work the toe boats on the rivers. I wonder if he still has any connections. I'll have to ask. Cheap but far from comfortable and we might be expected to work.
Old 07-31-07, 09:07 PM
ColinClout

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you starting from (by boat) and where will you be returning from (by bike)? I'm afraid I have no advice about the boat, but as an ex-Cincinnatian I know the Ohio River valley okay and would love to hear about any rides in the area. In fact I'll be going along the Ohio between about Owensborough KY and Cincinnati in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-01-07, 11:33 AM
tpelle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen the River Explorer tied up at the Public Landing in Cincinnati quite often - also the Missisippi Queen and Delta Queen. Looks like fun. I don't know about the Ohio side of the river, but on the Kentucky side, a ride from, say, Maysville, KY to Newport, KY (across the river from Cincinnati) would use Rt. 10 and Rt. 8, which should be fairly flat and not too much traffic, as it all went on to the new AA-Highway (Rt. 9). Maybe a ride from Cincinnati to Maysville by boat, then go as far as, say, Augusta, KY (home town of George Clooney - his mom and dad still live there) to camp (maybe a B&B?), then on to Cincinnati the next day would be cool.

An alternate might be to go to Pittsburgh, then return on the Ohio side of the river until opposite Augusta, then take the car ferry across the river to Augusta, and finish as described above. There are lots of historic sites all along that stretch of river - if you want to read up, find the book "The Frontiersman".