Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-16, 06:18 PM
velojaxkon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be riding at helluer velodrome near San Fransisco it is a 333m track with a I think 23 degree banked turn
Old 05-30-16, 10:29 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Either bike will be fine. Go with the one that tickles your fancy. Just know that the Planet X isn't all that stiff, especially for a carbon bike. Some people think carbon will always make for a stiffer bike. It's not necessarily true. At a mild track like Hellyer, you can get away with any bike. Steeper tracks necessitate track geometry on a bike. Shallower tracks are more forgiving.
Old 06-03-16, 06:58 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I am sorry that I am asking a similar question.

I am going to LA in August, and I am planning to live with someone else(probably non-cyclist).
Do you think he will be mad when I ride my bike on a roller when he is in the room?
I am asking this question, because if my roommate will go crazy about the roller(Also I don't have a car, so I cannot take the roller to a velodrome), I have to sell my roller before I leave Delaware.
I will be going to Korea then LA, so I will be spending more than 200 dollars just for the shipping fee.
Old 06-03-16, 07:14 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
I am sorry that I am asking a similar question.

I am going to LA in August, and I am planning to live with someone else(probably non-cyclist).
Do you think he will be mad when I ride my bike on a roller when he is in the room?
I am asking this question, because if my roommate will go crazy about the roller(Also I don't have a car, so I cannot take the roller to a velodrome), I have to sell my roller before I leave Delaware.
I will be going to Korea then LA, so I will be spending more than 200 dollars just for the shipping fee.
I would suggest that you sell you rollers before leave and buy a used set in LA. If your roommate is bothered by the rollers, then find a different roommate.
Old 06-03-16, 07:16 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
I would suggest that you sell you rollers before leave and buy a used set in LA. If your roommate is bothered by the rollers, then find a different roommate.
thank you for your advice.

"Find a different roommate" made me laugh
Old 06-03-16, 10:15 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I heard that there are some restrictions on tires in Velo sports center.
Is this true?
and can anyone tell me rules in Velo Sports Center(ex. tires, wheel, gearing, and other)
Why not contact the velodrome to find out about any restrictions on equipment.

Also riders need to be certified to use the velodrome according to their web site.
Old 06-04-16, 08:51 AM
gl98115

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I heard that there are some restrictions on tires in Velo sports center.
Is this true?
and can anyone tell me rules in Velo Sports Center(ex. tires, wheel, gearing, and other)
Getting Started/Registration | StubHub Center

Equipment

Because LA is much steeper (46 degrees) and smoother than many other velodromes in the US, we get a lot of questions about what equipment is suitable for riding or racing. The primary rule is simple: Riders are responsible for their own equipment selection and its maintenance. We can give advice on various possible choices, but equipment selection is as much a function of the type of riding or racing and style of riding that a particular rider chooses. Whatever equipment you choose, we recommend that you try it out on the track during a training or warmup session in light traffic before you try it out in a crowded session or a race situation. We've seen many pieces of special race equipment fail or not perform well in a race situation or crowded training session, and often found out later that it was being used there for the first time without having been through a quick warmup on the track.
  • Bicycles
  • Before getting on the track, check all of your equipment to make sure everything is tight and well maintained. Do a quick check of the tires for wear or nicks, check the tire pressure, check nuts and bolts for tightness (especially wheel bolts, as they're adjusted frequently).
    • Track bicycles are required for all regularly scheduled training and racing sessions.Track bike requirements are given in the USA Cycling rule books, but for the most part this means fixed gear bicycles without brakes on either of the wheels. This can include bikes in many different materials and geometries- bikes designed for sprints, pursuits, and all around mass start racing are all ridden regularly on the LA velodrome. The type of riding or racing you do will affect your choice as much as the geometry of the track does.
    • The velodrome has a number of well maintained rental bikes available in various sizes, including some suitable for children. Most of the rentals are Felt TK2 bikes in sizes from 50 cm up to 60 cm in 2 cm increments, with multiple bikes available in each size. The rental bikes are available for most training sessions, but may not be used for racing.
    • If you don't presently own a track bike but are looking for one, it can be worthwhile to rent or borrow a suitable bike for a while to determine your riding style and equipment preferences prior to comitting.
  • Cranks
    Crank length and bottom bracket height are a very common question for riders unaccustomed to steep tracks. The combination of bottom bracket height, crank length, pedal size, speed, and rider skill will determine how slow a rider can ride in the corners without hitting a pedal against the boards. We don't recommend finding out the hard way what the limits of this are. The rental bikes are track specific frames and mostly have cranks from 165 to 170 mm long, though we know of riders who have used both shorter and longer cranks.

Be aware that longer cranks may make it harder to go slower safely in the corners. If you are riding primarily fast in the sprinters lane and never venturing above the red line you might be comfortable on longer cranks than most riders. If you're planning to do a lot of match sprints you will probably prefer shorter cranks. Whatever you choose, be aware of how it might affect your riding and your ability to navigate safely around other riders on the track.
  • Tires
    Possibly the most common question we get in email or see posted on the internet is "What tire should I use on LA" Regular riders at LA use a variety of tires successfully. While there is no particular preferred tire for use at the LA velodrome, we can point out characteristics that riders should look for:
    • Clinchers or Tubulars?
    • People ride both types for racing and training. The author of this has occasionally ridden one of each. There are very nice tires of both types that are designed for track use and perform well at LA. There are also many tires designed for road use that will perform well at LA.
    • Treaded or Smooths?
    • There is scattered literature available on the differences between treaded and smooth tires. Riders commonly use treadless (slick) and lightly treaded tires on LA. While we don't recommend cyclocross or mountain knobbies, there are many tires with light tread patterns that will work well.
    • Pressures
      Pressure is probably more a function of tire and rim combination than what track you are riding. Check the manufacturers recommendation on both. Many clincher rims are not intended for very high pressures(150+ psi), nor are many clinchers. The tires on most of the rental bikes are intended to be used around 110 psi (though we ask that you let a staff member pump them rather than do it yourself).
    • Rubber compounds
      Rubber compounds vary greatly among tires. The type that you choose will again be affected by your riding style. If you are riding time trials and looking for good high speed rolling resistance you might choose a harder compound, while if you expect to go slow in the corners you might choose a stickier compound. Colored tires have generally not been recommended (though there are always exceptions) because they typically are slipperier than black tires.
    • Cross Sections
      For most purposes, a tire with a rounder cross section will be preferred over one with any other cross section. This will minimize differences in feel and handling as you ride at different speeds over different parts of the banking.
    • Slippery Tires
      Occasionally a tire that looks like it should be ok seems slippery. Sometimes this is due to the mold-release compound that is on the surface of the tire to let it come cleanly out of the mold that was used to put the tread on. This can often be removed with an alcohol wipe or a soft plastic pot-scrubber (e.g. scotch-brite). If you have any uncertainty about how your tire will stick, we recommend that you try it out during a training or warmup session with relatively few people on the track and take your time in moving up track. You can test it on the banking just above the black line just as well as at the top of the track-- the banking is the same but you'll only slide a few inches from the black line.

Last edited by gl98115; 06-04-16 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-06-16, 12:07 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you so much for your help.
I tried to call the velodrome, but they were too busy.
That's why I was asking in this forum.
Old 06-06-16, 01:17 PM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using one gear combination over the other? Specifically, I'm looking at setting up my bike with a 48x16 for my next race as I feel I've been pushing too hard a gear, but could also set up with a 45x15 to give the same combo. What would be the advantage of using the smaller or larger chainring in a Devil, Scratch and Points race?
Old 06-06-16, 02:50 PM
gl98115

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMinty
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using one gear combination over the other? Specifically, I'm looking at setting up my bike with a 48x16 for my next race as I feel I've been pushing too hard a gear, but could also set up with a 45x15 to give the same combo. What would be the advantage of using the smaller or larger chainring in a Devil, Scratch and Points race?
None that would affect your performance.

Edit: Actually, if using the same chain length, the bigger gears will bring your rear wheel further forward in the frame which would be a slight benefit in the Devil.
Old 06-06-16, 02:57 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gycho77, I ride/race at Stub Hub/Velo Center all the time. As for equipment, any track bike will work. Some road fixies may work, but not necessarily. Most people use 165 or 170 crank arms. I know pursuiters who use as long as 175. As is set forth in other threads in this forum, it depends on what type of riding you are going to be doing. Although I have seen colored tires used, almost everyone uses black tires. The current favorite for all around training/racing is Vittoria Pista Evo CS (I may have the exact name wrong, I always forget it and have it written down somewhere, just not where I am at this moment). A previous writer already told you have to be certified to ride the track; this is maybe the most important thing because if you are used to low-angle concrete track, there are things you need to learn to deal with the eccentricities of my track, such as, for example, no track stands between 1 & 2 and 3&4. Good luck and perhaps I'll see you there when you get to LA.
Old 06-06-16, 04:16 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
Gycho77, I ride/race at Stub Hub/Velo Center all the time. As for equipment, any track bike will work. Some road fixies may work, but not necessarily. Most people use 165 or 170 crank arms. I know pursuiters who use as long as 175. As is set forth in other threads in this forum, it depends on what type of riding you are going to be doing. Although I have seen colored tires used, almost everyone uses black tires. The current favorite for all around training/racing is Vittoria Pista Evo CS (I may have the exact name wrong, I always forget it and have it written down somewhere, just not where I am at this moment). A previous writer already told you have to be certified to ride the track; this is maybe the most important thing because if you are used to low-angle concrete track, there are things you need to learn to deal with the eccentricities of my track, such as, for example, no track stands between 1 & 2 and 3&4. Good luck and perhaps I'll see you there when you get to LA.
Thank you for your detailed explanation.
I will be taking a class when I get their.

And does anyone use Tufo tires in indoor velodrome?
I might get a clincher wheel, because I will be riding my track bike tothe velodrome(I don't own a car.....)

Also I hope I could see you at the velodrome.
Old 06-06-16, 05:41 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gycho77,

All of the rental bikes at the velo use clincher wheels/tires. They use Vittoria Rubio (I think this how it is spelled). I am sure Tufos would work. I know some use Tufo tubulars.
Old 06-06-16, 09:37 PM
700wheel

..............And does anyone use Tufo tires in indoor velodrome?
.............:
Tufo tires are OK if you ride fast enough.

I've had S3 Pro Tufo's slip at the LA Velo Center at slower speeds (maybe 20 mph). The tread does not wrap around the tire sufficiently and there is quite a ridge along the tread edge. I had no issue with Conti Sprinters.

Riders have also slipped off the Boulder velodrome using S3 Tufos.
Old 06-07-16, 02:23 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
hum.....
that's a problem.
I think I should go with Continental tires or Victoria tires

Thank you everyone who helped me
Old 06-09-16, 03:10 AM
Frederico

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking to buy a new pair of bibs and not get my thighs too compressed in them. Anyone is familiar with brands that cater to "sprinter like" quads and glutes?
Old 06-09-16, 09:32 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Frederico
I'm looking to buy a new pair of bibs and not get my thighs too compressed in them. Anyone is familiar with brands that cater to "sprinter like" quads and glutes?
I like Castelli. The ones I have use seamless edges at the bottom of the pant legs. I think they are called Body Paint. They are nice because they continue to stretch where seams would bind.

Old 06-09-16, 10:56 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I like Castelli. The ones I have use seamless edges at the bottom of the pant legs. I think they are called Body Paint. They are nice because they continue to stretch where seams would bind.
Castelli is nice, but be careful with the sizing. I bought a couple bibs on closeout in size L (most US sizing for me is between M and L, 5'10", 175lbs), and these things are TINY. They were on closeout, so no returns, but initially I could barely get them on. After a couple of months it got easier, but I wish I'd ordered XL, which is crazy. I would go a size up from their recommendation unless you are super twig-like.
Old 06-09-16, 11:39 AM
JimiMimni

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Castelli is nice, but be careful with the sizing. I bought a couple bibs on closeout in size L (most US sizing for me is between M and L, 5'10", 175lbs), and these things are TINY. They were on closeout, so no returns, but initially I could barely get them on. After a couple of months it got easier, but I wish I'd ordered XL, which is crazy. I would go a size up from their recommendation unless you are super twig-like.
Seconded. Castelli is Euro sized, for sure. I'm 5'9" and fluctuate between 165-175ish, and the Large bibs fit well, regardless. The Medium jersey fits when I'm fat, but gets a little loose when I'm not. I am built like a T-Rex, though, as fair warning. In most other brands that I've tried, I wear a small shirt and medium bibs.

I'd like to note also, the Castelli bibs have kept their comfort far better than most of my other kit. After a season of use, they're as comfortable, if not more, than my brand new team kits.
Old 06-09-16, 04:43 PM
Frederico

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually have a pair of Castelli shorts. They've been with me for a while and are still in great condition. No doubt this is a high quality product. I'm 6'3" and 198 lbs, and my XL shorts are a little tight around the thighs. Perhaps I'll try ordering a 2XL.
Old 06-09-16, 05:47 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I recently purchased a Sugino 12cog on eBay.(it was $25 + free shipping)
I was wondering, if I could use 12t lockring on 13t cog or other cogs

Also how do you clean your chain?

this is how I clean my chain
1) wrap chainring and cog with roll tissue
2) spray wd-40
3) spin it for few mins
4) clean with cloth several times
5) put chain lube
6) spin the wheel for few mins
7) clean with clean cloth

I want to know how you guys clean your chain.

upupup did not teach me how to clean a track bike lol
Old 06-09-16, 10:19 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I recently purchased a Sugino 12cog on eBay.(it was $25 + free shipping)
I was wondering, if I could use 12t lockring on 13t cog or other cogs
Yes, you can use a 12 lockring with any other cog.

upupup did not teach me how to clean a track bike lol
I personally wouldn't use WD-40 to clean my chain. I'm sure you can find a better option. I use Park Chainbrite chain cleaning fluid. It's close to $20, but lasts a long time. I would only remove the chain and thoroughly clean it like once/season (if that). Most of the time I just take a shop cloth and wipe it down and reapply lube as needed then wipe again. You don't want it wet. That just leaves lube on the chainrings and cogs that will get on your hands when you change them. So, I don't do frequent lubing. Usually only when the chain sounds dry (you know the sound when you hear it).

Track chains don't get nearly as grimy as road or MTB chains.

Maintain it like any other road bike. The only difference is that since you will not be riding on the road with lots of dirt and debris, you can use a lighter (not thick or waxy) chain lube. I like Dumond Tech Lite.

I use Park Grease for regular grease things.
Old 06-09-16, 10:43 PM
700wheel

I agree with Carleton's advice. Keep away from WD-40 rust solvent (it is a no-no in maintaining aircraft and spacecraft).
Old 06-09-16, 11:08 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Last season I went to wax after many years of dry lube chain lube that was never really dry!

Doing chainring/cog changes without the possibility of getting crud all over your hands is awesome!
Old 06-10-16, 10:10 AM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My neighbor(retired track cyclist) told me to use wd-40, but I had to clean the chain a lot.
I will definitely try your methods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.