Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubeless is Immune to Punctures

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 08:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

A little weary of hearing this.

It is stated often on the forums. Wheel manufacturers even say it.

From https://icancycling.com/collections/...ro-45-wheelset...

Unlike inflatable tires, tubeless options are immune to punctures.

Fact check: Tubeless tires get punctures. They are not immune.

The only thing tubeless does is seal the tire after the puncture so it doesn't go flat, maybe.

Semantics?

-Tim-
Old 01-25-19, 08:35 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
not to cuts though
Old 01-25-19, 08:36 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

Semantics?
Yeah, I think there's an implied "...that will have you spending some quality time on the side of the road/trail."
Old 01-25-19, 09:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
They forgot the "auto" before the immune then the word "deflating" after immune.
Old 01-25-19, 09:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Convivial Panda
They also contradict themselves on the same page:

"Tubeless tires can provide lower rolling resistance and better protection from punctures."

Just as bad "immune to punctures" is describing a 17.5 ID rim like this - "Wide rim technology offers more stability and rolling resistance."
There must be an error somewhere. I've never seen a rim with 10mm more external over the internal
External: 27.25mm
Internal: 17.5mm
Old 01-25-19, 09:33 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
that fact that plug kits are selling pretty well seems to indicate that tubeless is not immune to punctures. OTOH, they are a lot better than tubes in this regard.
Old 01-25-19, 11:24 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Imperical

100+ hours tubles on mtb 27.5+ no flats (Stans) All in goat head country. Sort it out and do what is best for you.
Old 01-25-19, 11:30 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Tubless

yup. Am considering goining tubles for road bike too
Old 01-25-19, 11:39 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryVee
100+ hours tubles on mtb 27.5+ no flats (Stans) All in goat head country. Sort it out and do what is best for you.
Slime and liners. Nothing is forever.
Old 01-26-19, 06:26 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
All of my bikes are tubeless and I would never go back to tubes, but they are far from immune to punctures(flats). That reminds me that I need to order more plugs.
Old 01-26-19, 04:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
There must be an error somewhere. I've never seen a rim with 10mm more external over the internal
The outer rim width that they're using is actually the distance at the furthest point of the fairing.. not measured at the brake track. Some Flo wheels I believe also come close to 10mm difference measured this way.

Old 01-26-19, 08:04 PM
Humpy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
A little weary of hearing this.

It is stated often on the forums. Wheel manufacturers even say it.

From https://icancycling.com/collections/...ro-45-wheelset...

Fact check: Tubeless tires get punctures. They are not immune.

The only thing tubeless does is seal the tire after the puncture so it doesn't go flat, maybe.

Semantics?

-Tim-
Semantics. Your argument relies on an assumption that by punctures they meant all punctures.

It is a fact that most humans have eight toes. It is also a fact that most humans have ten toes.
Old 01-26-19, 09:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryVee

Your tires probably have many punctures.

Originally Posted by Humpy
Semantics. Your argument relies on an assumption that by punctures they meant all punctures.

It is a fact that most humans have eight toes. It is also a fact that most humans have ten toes.
My argument relies on the assumption that they don't understand what they are talking about.

Tubeless tires are immune to neither flats nor punctures.

-Tim-
Old 01-27-19, 01:55 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Humpy

That's like the quiz question: "Some months have 30 days. Some months have 31 days. How many months have 28 days?"
​​​​​​​Jon
Old 01-27-19, 04:59 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I'm sure I got a couple of punctures during the MTB race yesterday. I didn't notice, since I was running tubeless.
Old 01-27-19, 06:50 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
That's like the quiz question: "Some months have 30 days. Some months have 31 days. How many months have 28 days?"
Jon
don't forget about the bissextile year.
Old 01-27-19, 05:52 PM
Humpy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
​​​​​​​Jon
There are only 7 days.

Old 01-28-19, 12:48 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I was told tubeless doesn't get flats. My experience mountain biking in arizona disproved that.
I was told slime inside the tire would seal punctures. My experience disproved that as well.
The purpose of the green slime was apparently to highlight the puncture point by squirting green goo out of the tire at that point. In that way it worked I guess, but since it was tubeless and there was green slime, the fix was to put a tube into the tire.

If people like tubeless that's fine, but I'm not dropping a few thousand to switch from tubes to tubless.
Old 01-28-19, 01:16 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I was told tubeless doesn't get flats. My experience mountain biking in arizona disproved that.
I was told slime inside the tire would seal punctures. My experience disproved that as well.
The purpose of the green slime was apparently to highlight the puncture point by squirting green goo out of the tire at that point. In that way it worked I guess, but since it was tubeless and there was green slime, the fix was to put a tube into the tire.

If people like tubeless that's fine, but I'm not dropping a few thousand to switch from tubes to tubless.
A few thousand dollars? Maybe if you are going to buy new high end tubeless rims to do it. Most better quality bikes come with tubeless ready rims, and often tubeless ready tires. My last mountain bike came set up tubless from the factory. Tubless set up kits for two wheels typically are under $75 (and that's Canadian dollars, less in the US).

I have never used Slime, but have used Stan's and Orange Seal for the last 6 years on 4 of my bikes. The only flat I have had with tubeless was a 2 cm cut in a sidewall. That is mostly mountain biking and gravel rides. I have had a number of flats on my road bike which I still run with tubes.

Tubes are a pretty dependable, relatively easy to use system, and I still need to carry them in case of a big cut that will flat any system But for me personally, I spend more time riding and less time fixing flats with tubeless.

Last edited by bikeaddiction1; 01-28-19 at 01:25 PM. Reason: fis a typo
Old 01-28-19, 02:53 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by PaulRivers

Regular Slime doesn't work very well as a tubeless sealant. Slime Tubeless Sealant works slightly better, but Stans and Orange Seal are better tubeless sealants.

It costs nowhere near a few thousand to make one bicycle Tubeless. I only have tubeless on about half my bikes, since I have a few non-tubeless rims. I did setup tubeless on one bike with non-tubeless rims. Might do my plus bike also, even though it has non-tubeless rims.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 01-28-19 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-28-19, 02:55 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
100% not immune. I can speak from experience.
Old 01-28-19, 03:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
My tubeless experiment got set aside when I slammed one of my Schwalbe One Pro tires on a rock, and ripped the cover and tore a few cords. Not enough to totally compromise the tire, but enough that I could get it to seal sitting still, but it would leak as soon as I started rolling again. And, of course, I waited a couple of hours, but coudn't take a couple of days off of the bike in the middle of a ride.

I'll try Pirelli tires this coming summer.
Old 01-28-19, 04:57 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by .popcycle.
Somebody lied to you or you misunderstood them. It should be obvious to any cyclist that tubeless tires can go flat.
It should be obvious that tubeless can go flat but any number of people have claimed otherwise on these forums. Without exception, people will tell you that they have never had a flat with tubeless. You may know that is wrong and I may know that is wrong but it is what is claimed.

Somebody lied to you again or you misunderstood them. Slime sucks as a tubeless tire sealant. As noted above, Orange Seal and Stan's use a different formulation which works very well at sealing the vast majority of punctures.
PaulRivers doesn't appear to be talking about Slime as a tubeless sealant. Most people's experience with it is as a tube sealant and lots of people swear by it. Personally, I've never liked the extra weight of the sealant.

As for Stan's, Orange Seal and Slime tubeless sealants, their formulation my be different but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have problems. You have to ask yourself why do you need to "refresh" the sealant? Where does it go? How can a tire that is sealed to air lose a liquid? And, finally, why go through the mounting hassle of tubeless? Why not just use the sealant in a tube? Life would be much easier the way.

Somebody is giving you bad information again, or you're misunderstanding them.
Perhaps PaulRivers is overestimating the cost but by how much would depend on what you have and what you want to do. If you have old rims, that's a new set of wheels. That gets pricey quickly. Or, as in my case, you have multiple bikes and converting all of them would be prohibitively expensive. Or, again as in my case, you don't have a compressor. Yes, I know that some people can seat tubeless with a hand pump but it doesn't sound as easy as a compressor.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-29-19, 08:47 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
This guy, Stuart Black, seems to think he knows: "After a lot of head scratching and MSDS reading (Oh joy!) and a lot of chemical and material hand waving, I came to the conclusion that the sealant, which has a glycol base, is passing through the rubber and out of the tire."
In other words, "don't listen to this guy because he has thought about it". But from MSDS reading, head scratching, observation of tire problems in the past, and thought, I've come up with a hypothesis. Do you have another explanation for how a liquid can "dry" in a sealed container? Come up with a better explanation and I'll entertain it. Otherwise your comments boil down to "Nuh uh."

And that gets us nowhere towards an explanation.

Mounting a tubeless tire isn't a hassle for most folks.
First, I've been involved in some mounting of tubeless tires. I wouldn't say it isn't a hassle for most folks. It seems to take a lot of time, effort, and a considerable amount of mess at my local co-op.

Using sealant in a the tube results in a less supple tire with less grip since you would still need to run higher pressures to prevent pinch flats.
Why would you need to run higher pressure to prevent pinch flats? The sealant would seal them. Or are you saying that the sealant doesn't work?

But one thing that the people who fear pinch flats seem to forget is that pinch flats are a symptom of a far worse problem. If the tire bottoms out so as to pinch the tube between the rim and whatever surface you are on, the rim is going to hit that same surface. I'm far less concerned about pinch flats than I am about rim damage. One costs a few pennies to fix and just a little bit of time while the other can cost 10,000 or more pennies and a whole lot more time to fix.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 01-29-19 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 11:23 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
A few thousand dollars? Maybe if you are going to buy new high end tubeless rims to do it. Most better quality bikes come with tubeless ready rims, and often tubeless ready tires. My last mountain bike came set up tubless from the factory. Tubless set up kits for two wheels typically are under $75 (and that's Canadian dollars, less in the US).
"buy a new bike that comes with tubeless tires" "under $75"...

Whether it's a few thousand for a new bike or a few hundred for new wheels, the exact cost wasn't my point, I don't see the motivation personally to spend any money on it. My experience has not shown it to be an improvement.

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
I have never used Slime, but have used Stan's and Orange Seal for the last 6 years on 4 of my bikes. The only flat I have had with tubeless was a 2 cm cut in a sidewall. That is mostly mountain biking and gravel rides. I have had a number of flats on my road bike which I still run with tubes. Tubes are a pretty dependable, relatively easy to use system, and I still need to carry them in case of a big cut that will flat any system But for me personally, I spend more time riding and less time fixing flats with tubeless.
I'm not claiming to be an authority on this topic but I am saying from my personal experience I'm dubious of the claims of no flats as it hasn't been my experience when renting a bike (for many rides) with tubeless. The bike shop owner told me big amazing things how amazing tubeless and slime would be...then I flat out on the very next ride. I'm not exactly impressed.

Sometimes new marketing hype comes with improvements...sometimes it's just empty hype. My experience leaves me leaning towards that tubeless is mostly hype. I mean tubeless works "fine" I'm not saying anyone "shouldn't" use it but it is extra work and a little messier and in my (limited) experience it's flat prevention is no better than a decent flat resistant tire with a tube in it.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 01-29-19 at 11:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.