Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

QR Lever Position

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-21, 06:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I have no idea what you're talking about...I've been using nutted axles on all of my bikes for a very log time and never had a single problem with any of them coming loose.
90% sure he was being facetious.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-11-21, 07:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I have no desire to participate in any cycling events which require riding so close to each other, that the riders wheels start touching other riders wheels
Bikes have brakes. Things happen in the group. Sometimes not everyone is paying attention...they get caught out. How can you not imagine how this could happen? Use your imagination for a couple of seconds. I'm sure you've seen Tour stages or some kind of pro racing. This has nothing to do w/ what you do, obviously. Riders don't 'normally' touch wheels, but it shouldn't be a stretch to see how it they could. I've had a new racer hammer the brakes and then swerve violently in a mentoring session...that I was mentoring...after repeatedly telling this particular group to never swerve/move sideways without looking first. He clipped my front wheel and I nearly went down. I probably missed his q/r lever by a couple inches. That's how it happens.
Old 05-11-21, 09:49 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Hasn’t touched the fork in 12,000+ miles, (nor any toes either).

This frame limits QR placement choices. But it is red!
Old 05-11-21, 10:22 PM
cxwrench

Front shouldn't be against the fork.
Old 05-12-21, 06:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryVee

Hasn’t touched the fork in 12,000+ miles, (nor any toes either).
Originally Posted by cxwrench
That’s perfect placement…assuming the lever can be opened. If there’s enough space between the fork and lever to get a finger in there and pop the lever unlocked, then that’s both a well protected location to prevent accidental opening and it’s aesthetically pleasing.

I run my front skewers similarly, though crossed over the leg to the rear so that I have not only a point at which to press on the lever, but so that I have the point with maximum leverage; the end of the lever. Well protected, trim, and easy to use. Pictured is a Tune AC, the most awesome and my preferred skewers, unfortunately out of production.

Of course where the lever can go depends on the lever shape and design and the fork/frame dropout shaping, but the goal should be to keep the lever protected against accidental opening while ensuring it remains a quick— i.e. easy to use— lever.

Old 05-12-21, 10:57 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
my QR levers are electronic. I control them with my iPhone. and they are red, because.
Old 05-12-21, 02:21 PM
cxwrench

You can always tell who is more concerned w/ form over function.
Old 05-12-21, 04:57 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Not touching

Agreed! Mine doesn’t touch the fork.
Old 05-13-21, 08:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Alberto Contador, who should need no introduction, in ‘11 with Tune ACs on the team S-Works he rode to Giro victory (overturned for drugs) and a 5th in the TdF, with Tune ACs positioned as seen here, definitely touching the fork leg (since the ACs have no cam stop).

I’m curious as to why, cxwrench , you think one should “never do that”?

Old 05-13-21, 08:43 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Alberto Contador, who should need no introduction, in ‘11 with Tune ACs on the team S-Works he rode to Giro victory (overturned for drugs) and a 5th in the TdF, with Tune ACs positioned as seen here, definitely touching the fork leg (since the ACs have no cam stop).

This example explains exactly why you should not do that: you’ll get busted for doping.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-13-21 at 09:08 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-13-21, 09:06 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Kapusta
This example explains exactly why you should not do that: you’ll get busted for doping.
Old 05-13-21, 09:41 AM
cxwrench

These skewers are pretty rare and have nothing to do w/ what I'm talking about. My point is that many riders will close a skewer against a frame stay or fork leg and this will prevent the skewer from closing all the way as well as making it a pita to open.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-13-21, 09:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
These skewers are pretty rare and have nothing to do w/ what I'm talking about. My point is that many riders will close a skewer against a frame stay or fork leg and this will prevent the skewer from closing all the way as well as making it a pita to open.
Some do, some don't. I close one of mine lined up with my fork leg, and it does not prevent it from closing all the way.
Old 05-13-21, 10:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
The availability of the skewer has little to do with the point you are making. A skewer closed across the leg like that or one that is in line with the leg doesn’t have the same clamping force as a skewer that is closed in front of the leg. If aerodynamics is a concern, switch the skewer over to the other side and close it behind the leg. On the plus side, it will drive the OCD cyclists crazy
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-13-21, 10:30 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Okay, so never do it except sometimes. Gotcha.
Old 05-13-21, 10:55 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
4 pages so far & no mention of Shimano's latest Dura-Ace Di2 wireless skewers.

For shame!

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 05-14-21, 07:42 AM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
I will be altering QR lever position on my bikes, based on enlightenment from this thread. I will continue a nice flowing or tucked in front skewer position aft of the fork leg on the front, but I will move the rear lever between the seat and chain stays. Its a bit relieving to know since rules aren't well established, that makes it less likely I've been doing it wrong for the last 45 years. Never had a QR problem or an inadvertent wheel release in those 45 years.