Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Changing out tubeless sealant.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-20, 10:29 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts

It's time to change out my tire sealant. My first time so, I have a question.
Obviously, I will inspect the internal of the tire to pull out any FOD, thorns and such. Should I seal these holes before adding the new sealant? Or just let the sealant take care of it?
Old 03-29-20, 11:05 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
It's time to change out my tire sealant. My first time so, I have a question.
Obviously, I will inspect the internal of the tire to pull out any FOD, thorns and such. Should I seal these holes before adding the new sealant? Or just let the sealant take care of it?
If there are any large holes, I would patch them. I would let the sealant take care of the small ones. If your tire has not gone flat, you probably don't need to patch any holes.

I don't plan to ever take out my sealant. I have used a fairly large amount. If it stops working, I will just add more, and not remove what is already in there. I plan to wait until my tires wear out. Unless I get a big hole which needs patching, or the tire needs replacing.

I run the sealant in tubes. That way it does not make a mess when removing it.

When my tires wear out, I will check if it is still liquid, or has set. If it, or a large proportion of it, is still liquid, I will probably use the same tubes in the new tires. I may add more sealant if I think it needs it.

I am not into competing, and I don't need to go fast. I am not concerned about losing tiny amounts of weight from my bike. I just want a bike that wont let me down too often.

Last edited by alo; 03-29-20 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-30-20, 11:16 AM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I use Stans in mtb tires and ride in goat head thorn country. My tires are full of them.

My only flat in three years of Stans was a 3/16” gash 5 miles from the truck. The gash would seal and periodically reopen and seal again. Took one cylinder of CO2 and lower than normal pressure to get back. Stopped on the way home at LBS for Stans Darts. Those patched the hole & tire has been good to go.

First time changing Stans I spent hours rubbing out what stuck to the inside of the tires. Never again! Now I just save liquid left inside in a measuring cup so as not to waste any. Then wipe out the inside of tire with a rag. And add Stans to the measuring cup for proper fill, (2oz in my case), and pour that into the tire.

I can ride year around. Stans maintenance for me is January, mid-summer, and end of summer. So far I’ve found an ounce or more of fluid remaining.