Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Confession: I love my aerobars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-23, 11:42 PM
roadie276

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I'm a semi-longtime road biker (20 years now) who usually does short to medium length solo road rides (~2k mi a year). I like to chase breaking my own PRs on Strava, and do the occasional time trial a few times a year. Many, many years ago a friend bought a full TT bike with aerobars, and I tried it out very briefly (in a parking lot, basically), and the handling was rather dangerous feeling--seemed like a bit of an ordeal to keep thing thing upright at all, and fine-grained steering seemed more or less out of the question. I figured aerobars were super specialized and not good for regular road riding with much in the way of traffic, potholes to dodge, etc, and didn't consider them for years. As I started to do the occasional time trial, I got interested in clip on aerobars again (I don't want to maintain two bikes, and do enough general riding that I would barely use a full TT bike). When doing a recent bike upgrade (Gen 6 Trek Madone), I realized I could add in pretty decent clip on aerobars that were designed for the bike, and ordered parts for them over the winter.

I've been on them for about two months now, and I have to say...they kind of kick ass. The handling is insanely better than I expected--barely worse than without them. I can dodge potholes, place myself on the road where I want while cars pass, and navigate all but the sharpest/most dicey turns easily. They've more or less replaced the drops for me when sightlines are clear and I don't need to shift tons (probably on big descents I'd stick w/drops for control and braking, but I don't do tons of crazy climbing and descending...it's more rolling hills and non-mountains where I ride). They are FAST...it feels like I pick up 1-1.5mph when I get into them at any kind of decent speed (25mph+). I'm far from super aero in my position (not being the most flexible person), but they still help a ton. Using them has relieved a bit of hand pain I've had recently, the position I'm in is comfy enough to hold for decent chunks of time, and it feels like I can really put down some power when when pulling back on them and going hard. I've been destroying PRs left and right. Using them feels like a cheat code for free speed. I know that there are downsides...they add weight, you can't brake nearly as quickly from them (or shift, though I could remedy that with di2 satellite shifters if I really wanted to), meaning use during group rides would be straight out, and I have to watch it when on the road and only use them judiciously/when it's reasonably safe to do so. But despite those downsides, they've been pretty stellar for the riding I do. And, I can take them off in about 1-2 minutes by removing four bolts if I don't want them on.

I know this means I probably need to turn in my BF road riding card someplace, but at this point...eh, it may well be worth it. : )
Old 08-08-23, 04:27 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,016 Posts
No need to turn in a card, I've used them on bikes as I live in a really flat area, they are a tool to be used and if you like them, enjoy them.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-08-23, 05:43 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
For solo rides on familiar roads, I think they are fine.

For group rides and/or busy MUPs, not advised.
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-08-23, 05:47 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Glad you could get that off your chest. I'll confess:

I like dreaming, cause dreaming can make you mine
I like dreaming, closing my eyes and feeling fine.
Sweet dreams, baby.

Last edited by seypat; 08-08-23 at 05:52 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-08-23, 06:01 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'm afraid to clip them onto my handlebars because it might make them quiver and the bike will become twitchy.
Old 08-08-23, 09:02 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I never liked clip-ons. A well-fitted tri bike is amazing for the right sort of riding though.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-08-23, 10:22 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i love my bars too. i got them about three years ago only because i wanted an additional hand position. after a few rides with them i wondered why i hadn't done it sooner. absolutely great. i have no trouble navigating the road with them and i am always riding alone. have i gotten more PRs with them...yes, but not necessarily related. i have Di2 and am planning to install satellite shifters on the ends, i just don't want to pull off the tape right now. i started out with the airstrykes on my trek but went with a smaller profile on my current ride:

Likes For spelger:
Old 08-08-23, 06:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i love my bars too. i got them about three years ago only because i wanted an additional hand position. after a few rides with them i wondered why i hadn't done it sooner. absolutely great. i have no trouble navigating the road with them and i am always riding alone. have i gotten more PRs with them...yes, but not necessarily related. i have Di2 and am planning to install satellite shifters on the ends, i just don't want to pull off the tape right now. i started out with the airstrykes on my trek but went with a smaller profile on my current ride:
Looks like you have the pads up high enough that you can use the bar tops - I see that these are not flip-ups. True? I've been using aero bars on my road bike and tandem for many years. My fitter recently suggested a complete redo of my bars, now with flip-up pads, which I really dislike though I do like having my bar tops back.
Old 08-08-23, 07:41 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
"Aero Bars" are great...ask Greg LeMond...
They offer a wide variety of benefits, don't have to be uber costly...enjoy !
Old 08-08-23, 07:51 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Looks like you have the pads up high enough that you can use the bar tops - I see that these are not flip-ups. True? I've been using aero bars on my road bike and tandem for many years. My fitter recently suggested a complete redo of my bars, now with flip-up pads, which I really dislike though I do like having my bar tops back.
I actually can't quite get my hands under, maybe just the index and some middle but that's it. although looking at the photo you'd think differently. these are not the type that flip up, i have those on my trek. i like that i can use the tops of the bars with those but don't like the racket they make on the rough roads i have here when i am not on them. i've actually tie-strapped them down for a while but then miss being able to use the bar tops. love-hate relationship i guess.

i wanted this style because the angle is not as steep as the flip up airstrikes.

what makes yo not like the flip up feature?
Old 08-08-23, 10:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by spelger
I actually can't quite get my hands under, maybe just the index and some middle but that's it. although looking at the photo you'd think differently. these are not the type that flip up, i have those on my trek. i like that i can use the tops of the bars with those but don't like the racket they make on the rough roads i have here when i am not on them. i've actually tie-strapped them down for a while but then miss being able to use the bar tops. love-hate relationship i guess.

i wanted this style because the angle is not as steep as the flip up airstrikes.

what makes yo not like the flip up feature?
As you point out, they rattle but I can deal with that. It's that I have to open the pads with my forearms before I can settle down in them. That little bother takes my attention away for a little bit and I hate that. Also pushing on the pads with my forearms wiggles the bike a little and I don't like that, either. The fixed pads were wonderful. The hinged pads would be fine if I were going to be down on them for a long time but that isn't always the case.
Old 08-08-23, 10:50 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I tried clip-ons on my randonneuring bike, to give my hands a break on all-day rides. The unexpected benefit has been increased all-around comfort, including lower back. Speed does increase, even compared to the drops; I'm not sure how much is aero advantage and how much is a result of comfort. Doesn't really matter.

I use them when solo, on open and relatively flat roads.

Honestly I'm more inclined to eschew joining a paceline in favor of riding solo on the aero bars. That may be slower overall, but with less pain and less drama.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-08-23, 11:12 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
A couple dozen years ago (yikes) I broke my wrist. When I could ride again, I couldn't sustain a "normal" hand position for more than maybe half an hour, so I mounted clip-on aerobars. Because of my work schedule back then, I was mostly doing solo weekday rides so when my wrist was fully healed I left them on. Pretty comfortable, I didn't have problems controlling the bike, and since I had a power meter even back then I could see that I could still put out threshold power. Eventually my job changed and I started riding with others again so I took them off.

I never understood the riders who claim that aerobars are uncomfortable.
Old 08-09-23, 04:06 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
As you point out, they rattle but I can deal with that. It's that I have to open the pads with my forearms before I can settle down in them. That little bother takes my attention away for a little bit and I hate that. Also pushing on the pads with my forearms wiggles the bike a little and I don't like that, either. The fixed pads were wonderful. The hinged pads would be fine if I were going to be down on them for a long time but that isn't always the case.
After the Airstrykes had been out for a few months, I noticed that several of our triathlete customers using them had zip-tied the arms down.
Old 08-09-23, 07:49 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by Trakhak
After the Airstrykes had been out for a few months, I noticed that several of our triathlete customers using them had zip-tied the arms down.
i did it because of the noise they made.
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-09-23, 07:52 AM
spelger

if you're using the airstrikes then you are signed up for ProfileDesign. i did see that they make risers so if you needed access to the top of the bar then some of their other aero bar offerings might get you want you are looking for.

i do spend a lot of time on them except when climbing of course. i'm out of them at about 3-4% unless a very short hill and i'm just tooling along.
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-09-23, 08:19 AM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Nothing wrong with using aerobats on a road bike but that is totally different than using a properly fit TT bike. The geometry of the bike and riding position is totally different. I used to have a TT bike when I was younger and the riding angle at my hips and waist was almost exactly the same as on my properly fit road bike, except that I was rotated downward on the TT bike. If I was simply using aerobats on my road bike, the angle at my hips and waist would have had to be much smaller to get me down on the aerobars which would put me in a less efficient riding position (a much smaller angle than just riding in the drops of the bars). I could definitely ride faster, more efficient and more comfortably on the TT bike because I had maintained my proper riding position.

Again, aerobats are fine if you like them. There is a significant advantage though to a properly fit TT bike if that is how you like to ride.
Old 08-09-23, 11:32 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by jrobe
Nothing wrong with using aerobats on a road bike but that is totally different than using a properly fit TT bike. The geometry of the bike and riding position is totally different. I used to have a TT bike when I was younger and the riding angle at my hips and waist was almost exactly the same as on my properly fit road bike, except that I was rotated downward on the TT bike. If I was simply using aerobats on my road bike, the angle at my hips and waist would have had to be much smaller to get me down on the aerobars which would put me in a less efficient riding position (a much smaller angle than just riding in the drops of the bars). I could definitely ride faster, more efficient and more comfortably on the TT bike because I had maintained my proper riding position.
Except
Again, aerobats are fine if you like them. There is a significant advantage though to a properly fit TT bike if that is how you like to ride.
Except that TT bikes don't climb well and road riding is all about climbing. That said, we once had a young woman come on one of our major climbing rides, TT gearing and all. She kept up just fine. Never saw her again but I wish her well. I've been mostly doing group and event rides on our tandem just because it's harder. Similar idea I suppose. Probably a good idea for all TTists.

Of course you're correct about it being easier to breathe on a TT bike than a road bike with aero bars. Still, it works. I once overtook a younger rider on ~3% grade with a headwind, down on my aerobars. This was sort of covered on a recent aero vs weight wheel thread. Aero does kick butt. So often I see folks pulling a line, sitting up on their hoods. Yeeesh. The first 2 riders should be in the drops or with horizontal forearms on the hoods. I always pull on my aerobars.
Old 08-09-23, 11:46 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by RChung
A couple dozen years ago (yikes) I broke my wrist. When I could ride again, I couldn't sustain a "normal" hand position for more than maybe half an hour, so I mounted clip-on aerobars. Because of my work schedule back then, I was mostly doing solo weekday rides so when my wrist was fully healed I left them on. Pretty comfortable, I didn't have problems controlling the bike, and since I had a power meter even back then I could see that I could still put out threshold power. Eventually my job changed and I started riding with others again so I took them off.

I never understood the riders who claim that aerobars are uncomfortable.
I use them even when riding with others. I just don't just use them when I'm within about 30' of a rider in front of me, about when the slipstream starts when one is riding right along on the flat. No one has ever given me crap about it, OTOH, I ride in Washington State and maybe things are different out here. I understand that local cultures vary.

I also get off them for any hard corners or when weird stuff is happening in front of me. Descending, I'm only about 1 mph faster on the bars than in my max tuck position. OTOH, I can't pedal at all in that position and the 'bars involve a lot less body effort. I will trade back and forth depending on my spidey sense.
Old 08-09-23, 12:11 PM
roadie276

Originally Posted by jrobe

Yep, I agree...I know aerobars on a road bike != a full on TT bike + TT fit. But, for my riding I'm happy with the cheap speed I get from the aerobars, and wouldn't like the tradeoffs in handling, climbing, accelerating, etc that come with a full TT bike. I have my aerobars forward a bit more than would otherwise be idea largely so I can still get out of the saddle and not hit my knees on them, so I generally am keeping them on 100% of the time and just using them instead of the drops where it's safe, and this still gives me a snappy, good-handling bike that can climb and descend and be generally usable as a road bike, but still be fast-ish in the flats and at speed, which is pretty Goldilocks-like for my purposes, currently.
Old 08-09-23, 02:05 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I once bolted some aerobars onto my road bike and signed up for a TT (10+ years ago). It went well until I hit a speed bump (or was it a pothole?) and the bars slipped. I didn't crash but the aero extensions were now pointed downward. I did the rest of the ride in the drops, until I flatted maybe 500m from the finish. Got a DNF.

Fast forward to last month I put some bar ends inline on the flat bar of my gravel bike. The inline bar ends are spaced to 37cm (on a 64cm flat bar) and I am pretty much on the ends all the time except when descending. This experience, and this post, is creating an itch in me to set one of my bikes as a TT bike. I already have some bar end shifters from the last time I felt this impulse about a year ago😆

Last edited by tFUnK; 08-09-23 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-09-23, 10:10 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
I’ve never used aerobars clip on aerobars, but have put a couple “loose hanging bars” and used the “forearms on the bars, puppy dog hands” riding position a good amount. I find that I’m steering with my forearms, and it’s fine but definitely provides less control. Are the rigid ones similar in that you control the bike with your forearms, or do your hands help?
Old 08-10-23, 01:23 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I’ve never used aerobars clip on aerobars, but have put a couple “loose hanging bars” and used the “forearms on the bars, puppy dog hands” riding position a good amount. I find that I’m steering with my forearms, and it’s fine but definitely provides less control. Are the rigid ones similar in that you control the bike with your forearms, or do your hands help?
when on the bars i am generally going quite fast so no tight cornering. when moving at speed steering is so slight, generally. hands on the bars that are well clamped (not copper tubing tie strapped) offer a lot of control on teh bike. they shouldn't be overtightened but i can pull on them when needed. hand position is aobut a foot away from the top bar so although quite a lot of torque can be applied it would not be advisable so no serious sprinting or hill climbing.
Old 08-10-23, 11:50 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I have them on every bike I ride, three road bikes and two dedicated TT/triathlon bikes. I've gotten way more comfortable with them over the last couple of years. I don't use them nearly so much for the aero as I do just so I'm not carrying all my upper body weight on my arms. That's kind of a big deal for me after I've swam 1500m in a triathlon.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 08-12-23, 12:29 AM
roadie276

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
For my setup (which I should post a pic of at some point), it's both hands and forearms that you steer with. As others point out it's not really usable for low speed maneuvering, but at any kind of speed they are totally reasonable. Which, again, surprised me, as my previous (brief) experience with them was the opposite. I'm sure this all varies wildly by bike/geometry/particulars of the bars/the person/etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.