Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

11New Bike Advice-'91 Trek 2100 or '06 Bianchi Forza

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 01:52 PM
fluxpush

Bikes: Steelman 25 Aniversary, Hobbs of Barbican Touring, Hetchins Made Vecum Track, Merlin Mountain, Klein Pinnacle, Klein Rascal, Landshark Dirtshark, Sannino Gilco atb, Fisher Mt Tam, Retrotech Half, Ron Cooper El-OS, Ron Cooper BMX, Cliff Shrub TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm a college student who got hooked onto riding after getting a fixie for school. Now I realized how useless they are for hills, which is pretty much everywhere in East Bay. So now I have 2 choices, a '91 Trek 2100 with 105 components, but it's downtube shifting (which I have never used) or a '06 Bianchi Forza (https://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...e#.UMY-XYc8CSo)

So which one should I get? They're both $200. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 12-10-12, 03:16 PM
wrbabb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi because of its age. Should require less maintenance. Down tube shifting is easily switched out but it will add cost. Am not sure when rear dropouts became wider - something to check because if they the older dimension spreading might not be possible with carbon seat stays. For everyday I would go find a good used steel frame bike.
Old 12-10-12, 03:18 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on Forza

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 12-10-12, 03:20 PM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Trek (1400) of that vintage. Its a great bike and I still ride it regularly, but I enjoy wrenching and doing my own maintenance. If you saw it today, you'd think it was a later model.

However, between those two options, I would recommend getting the Bianchi based again on age alone and having modern parts.

Last edited by Drag; 12-10-12 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-10-12, 03:38 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Bianchi has fairly low end components, but even cheap Shimano stuff usually works ok.

I would get the Bianchi. New components could be swapped onto the Trek later, and I happen to like downtube shifters fine but...

Really neither bike is going to be adequate if you get the road cycling bug badly, and neither is going to be worth putting a ton of money into "upgrading". You'll be more likely to get a good price for the Bianchi if/when the time comes to sell it.

Having ridden fixed for a while I find the descending more annoying than the climbing. Being geared appropriately for the way up means spinning like mad on the way down. The cheap solution is to put a freewheel on your existing bike, gear it down as needed, and run two brakes.
Old 12-10-12, 03:50 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Bianchi.
Old 12-10-12, 06:30 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Fit, fit, fit. Buy neither if they are the wrong size for you.
If you can test ride them, give each a go and buy the one that fits you the best. Either one should be a perfectly functional bike for your needs (assuming they are in good condition).

DT shifting is no big deal. Brifters are nice, but the DT shifters not a deal killer in my book. The 2100 was and still is a nice bike. Plus, retro is cool.
Old 12-10-12, 06:50 PM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't know there are Bianchis not in turquoise. Get it.
Old 12-12-12, 08:04 PM
fluxpush

Bikes: Steelman 25 Aniversary, Hobbs of Barbican Touring, Hetchins Made Vecum Track, Merlin Mountain, Klein Pinnacle, Klein Rascal, Landshark Dirtshark, Sannino Gilco atb, Fisher Mt Tam, Retrotech Half, Ron Cooper El-OS, Ron Cooper BMX, Cliff Shrub TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys for helping me on my first real bike! I'll go with the bianchi!