Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Pedals for Fixie

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 08:06 PM
donquixote17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedals for Fixie

I bought my first fixie about a month ago (it's an old Bianchi frame converted to a fixie with a Phil Wood flip-flop hub-only $100) and I love it. I've been riding with cages on platform pedals, but since the pedals are really crappy, they're falling apart. I'm trying to decide if I want to get some kind of pedal that I clip in or just stick with platforms with cages.

So in the month that I've ridden the fixie, I definitely want my feet somehow attached to the pedals because sometimes they could slip off at a bad time. So far I haven't encountered any kind of riding that would be bad for me to have clip-in pedals, so I kinda want to just get those, but what do you guys think? Is there some dangerous situation I could get in that would be bad to be actually clipped in for? I pretty regularly hear people suggesting to get cages when you build a fixie, but I just don't see why I shouldn't clip in all the way. Also, any suggestions on what kind of clip-in pedals I should get if you think clip-in is wise? I am not at all familiar with the different kinds.
Old 09-10-10, 08:14 PM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blam.
Old 09-10-10, 08:15 PM
xkillemallx16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you want foot retention. Get some decent mks pedals/clips/straps, those last quite a while and work for me.
Old 09-10-10, 08:16 PM
squeegeesunny 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could always get bmx pedals + holdfasts. They are becoming pretty popular these days.
Old 09-10-10, 08:17 PM
sknoslo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay first a lesson in what kind of pedals you are talking about. The "Cages" you speak of are called clips. They use a strap to hold your feet in place. The other pedals that you "clip-in" are called clipless. The advantage of clips and straps vs. clipless pedals is that you don't have to wear special shoes. The advantage of clipless is that they are more efficient because you can put pressure on your cranks for a full 360 instead of just up and down like with traditional clips and straps. I don't ride clipless but I'm assuming they are actually easier to get out of in the event of crashing because you kind of twist your foot out sideways instead of pulling back.
Old 09-10-10, 11:33 PM
Mattrek
Got My Vans On

Bikes: 1970(s) Schwinn Supersport (under construction)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sknoslo
Okay first a lesson in what kind of pedals you are talking about. The "Cages" you speak of are called clips. They use a strap to hold your feet in place. The other pedals that you "clip-in" are called clipless. The advantage of clips and straps vs. clipless pedals is that you don't have to wear special shoes. The advantage of clipless is that they are more efficient because you can put pressure on your cranks for a full 360 instead of just up and down like with traditional clips and straps. I don't ride clipless but I'm assuming they are actually easier to get out of in the event of crashing because you kind of twist your foot out sideways instead of pulling back.
Clipless is not a good choice for fixies IMO. Your majority of fixie riders ride in town (if you are tour riding on a Langster, either you are unhuman or dumb) and with clipless pedals, it becomes a hassle for starting and stopping constantly.
Old 09-10-10, 11:37 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mattrek
Clipless is not a good choice for fixies IMO.
I would bet money that opinion is in the minority. I certainly would contest it. I almost exclusively ride with clipless because it is a good choice. No pull outs, not hot spots, better shoes.
Old 09-10-10, 11:41 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clipless is not a good choice for fixies IMO. Your majority of fixie riders ride in town (if you are tour riding on a Langster, either you are unhuman or dumb) and with clipless pedals, it becomes a hassle for starting and stopping constantly.
Track stand, brah.
Old 09-10-10, 11:41 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Clipless is not a good choice for fixies IMO. ...it becomes a hassle for starting and stopping constantly.
I'll track stand most of the time, but if I unclip it takes one thoughtless motion to clip back in. totally effortless- not a big deal

Last edited by hairnet; 09-10-10 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 11:49 PM
CharneK
SpecialK

Bikes: 2007 SE Lager

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMX pedals and WIG straps. Way more comfortable and practical for city riding than pedals/cages/straps designed for track or ancient road racing.
Old 09-10-10, 11:57 PM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer my ancient set up.
Old 09-11-10, 12:14 AM
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got wig straps. Going over to clipless.
Old 09-11-10, 12:27 AM
CharneK
SpecialK

Bikes: 2007 SE Lager

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vixtor
I prefer my ancient set up.
Oh don't think I'm knockin clips and straps. I loved my GR-9's, double somas and double straps for some time, I just prefer BMX and Straps now... I guess I did sound kinda pretentious. My B. Ride what you like (:
Old 09-11-10, 12:32 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't take it the wrong way, it's all swell.
Old 09-11-10, 02:44 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
You clearly have no experience with clipless pedals.
Old 09-11-10, 03:14 AM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make sure your pedas are omni-directional, since fixies can pedal in both directions.
Old 09-11-10, 07:59 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Clipless > Platforms w/ Holdfast > Toe clips & straps

I use Time ATACs and have never had a problem except for one accidental pull-out. They're pretty easy to clip in and out of, hold securely, and you can use MTB shoes with recessed cleats if you want to walk around and not carry extra shoes.
Old 09-11-10, 08:45 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I was leery of clipless before I tried it. I will never go back. Being locked in is so much more secure than in clips/straps. But clipless shoes don't make good walking shoes, so I wouldn't put them on your bike if it's a commuter.
Old 09-11-10, 07:25 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
depends on the shoe
Old 09-12-10, 06:16 PM
donquixote17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I'll probably go with holdfasts or something like that since it's a commuting bike and I don't feel like carrying an extra pair of shoes.
Old 09-12-10, 10:05 PM
Yellowbeard

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, clipless pedals are practically ideal for this.
Old 09-12-10, 10:20 PM
oneeyedhobbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adding my opinion just so its clear to everyone that the guy who claimed clipless pedals are impractical for urban riding is naive at best and an idiot at worst. Super hassle free to clip in and out of, and for all those claiming they can't be walked in get mtb shoes. My Adidas fell apart, so for the first month I had them I wore my Shimano's almost exclusively, and while I probably didn't look super stylish it wasn't uncomfortable at all.
Old 09-13-10, 09:47 AM
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems odd to me. You should be able to do both because if you can't do either, you are likely no good with the other. Your performance should improve, but you shouldn't radically improve by going clipless or visa-vasa. If you have, then you weren't using themcorrectly to begin with.

I swapped to clip-and-straps some time ago to keep things fresh and keep me sharp. I am much better pedalling after practicing in clipless all these months. Clipless let you learn how to "spin" the cranks, you see? Grab with the feet and spin the pedals right? No more stomping down on it. ... But then I wouldn't go touring with em. I am gonna slap on my SpeedPlay for that.

Last edited by Tomo_Ishi; 09-13-10 at 09:51 AM.