Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Spend my money!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Spend my money!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-12, 06:54 AM
Vallun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spend my money!

I've been riding a Trek 1500 triple for the past 3 seasons. After a 50ish pound weight loss, I'm ready to treat myself to a new ride, something that doesn't weigh as much as a small car.

I'd like to go Carbon, Ultegra (or whatever SRAM equivalent) or better, compact, and $3500 or less. The LBS I'd prefer to deal with stocks Trek and Specialized.. those would be my first choice, but I'm not against looking at other makes if there's something better for me in that price range. Another LBS deals in Cannondale, Cervelo, and Bianchi I think. Are online options worthwhile (like bikesdirect)? Seems like a full DuraAce bike for $1799 seems a little too good to be true..

So thats about it. I'm a recreational rider, not looking to compete, and I do a couple centuries a year. Most rides are in the 40-60mi range.

Thoughts? And thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-12, 07:06 AM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some general rules. Buy online only if you know exactly what fits you. Take the bikes for a good one hour test ride. Buy the best frame for your budget (e.g. better frame with lower grade equipment for the same price). Don’t get hung up on the peripherals.
Old 03-18-12, 02:17 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your prefered LBS with Trek and Specialized you may want to check out a Madone 5.2, 5.5 or a Tarmac, Roubaix respectively.
All these models have at least Shimano Ultegra with the 5.5 (Trek) having SRAM Force I believe.
Some will say SRAM force is more between Ultegra and Dura Ace, I personally feel its on par with Ultegra. Ride them and decide yourself.
If it were my money, I would go with the Trek and sram force group. Force (subjectively speaking) is better quality than Ultegra although Ult. shifting is precise and smooth.
Old 03-18-12, 05:12 PM
helicoptor
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinLine
Your prefered LBS with Trek and Specialized you may want to check out a Madone 5.2, 5.5 or a Tarmac, Roubaix respectively.
All these models have at least Shimano Ultegra with the 5.5 (Trek) having SRAM Force I believe.
Some will say SRAM force is more between Ultegra and Dura Ace, I personally feel its on par with Ultegra. Ride them and decide yourself.
If it were my money, I would go with the Trek and sram force group. Force is better quality than Ultegra although Ult. shifting is precise and smooth.
um? i dont get it
Old 03-18-12, 05:15 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by helicoptor
um? i dont get it

kinda had the same thought.
echotraveler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sl3 roubaix. Fast and comfortable,
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Supersix Ultegra? 3550$MSRP
Old 03-18-12, 06:29 PM
RobertL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Trek Madone 5.2 is right at that price range with Ultegra components excepting the 105 chain and cassette.

I like mine.
Old 03-18-12, 06:42 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a spectacular ride, cg1 from pedal force. With sram red and decent clincher wheels, 14.5lb in your price range.
Old 03-18-12, 06:47 PM
Gluteus
Maximus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the impressive weight loss.
IMO the around $3,500 is the sweet spot for quality/value.

Specialized Roubaix Compact (MRSP 3,300)
Old 03-18-12, 09:01 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Vallun
I've been riding a Trek 1500 triple for the past 3 seasons. After a 50ish pound weight loss, I'm ready to treat myself to a new ride, something that doesn't weigh as much as a small car.

I'd like to go Carbon, Ultegra (or whatever SRAM equivalent) or better, compact, and $3500 or less. The LBS I'd prefer to deal with stocks Trek and Specialized.. those would be my first choice, but I'm not against looking at other makes if there's something better for me in that price range. Another LBS deals in Cannondale, Cervelo, and Bianchi I think. Are online options worthwhile (like bikesdirect)? Seems like a full DuraAce bike for $1799 seems a little too good to be true..

So that's about it. I'm a recreational rider, not looking to compete, and I do a couple centuries a year. Most rides are in the 40-60mi range. Thoughts? And thanks in advance.
Based on your requirements you will find the best values online.
Take a look at what you can purchase in this price range vs. the LBS.

Shimano Ultegra Di2, 20 Speed Electronic Shifting 2012 Le Champion $2,799
Full Carbon Frame, FSA Carbon Cranks, Mavic Kysrium Wheelset, Ritchey PRO Bar, Stem, Post

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ltegra_di2.htm

Old 03-18-12, 09:03 PM
kstephens

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I like the 5.2. I also would like a habenero ti frame with a campy chorus build in that range as well.
Old 03-18-12, 09:08 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Force is not better than ultegra.

There is more to it than just asking a group of random people what bike you should get. Each brand makes several different styles of geometry for different types of riding. you need to go to severla bike shops, do some test riding and see what you like. You make love how a certain bike looks but after riding it you may realize that it isn't for you. narrow donw a couple different choices and then "we" can be of more assistance. Even then it is up to you and what feels best.
Old 03-18-12, 09:10 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a few rides I can say the Cannondale Synapse is pretty sweet. Carbon with ultegra or sram rival would be in or below your price range. Comfortable ride but not a slow bike by any means. Would be somewhat similar to a Specialized Roubaix.
Old 03-19-12, 01:33 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I'm doing my best to find a carbon/Ultegra bike. Being a supreme luddite, I like the look of traditional road bikes without sloping top bar and straight lines. I really like the feel of my existing road bike and am looking for similar feel. I test rode a Felt ZW4 and a Cannondale Synapse Carbon with SRAM Red. I liked both bikes, but I think most of the difference is due to the carbon. I didn't like the SRAM. I'm also going to test ride a Trek Madone 5.2, Cannondale SuperSix 3, and probably a Specialized Tarmac SL3. While the Specialize Roubaix is more relaxed ride and is very popular, I gag when I look at the abomination Zertz inserts and squiggly seat stay. I haven't considered any Giants. The Specialized seem to have higher price tag and the Giants seem to have lower price tag. The Cannondale and Treks are in the middle.

Cervelo has a sale where you can get an R3 Rival for $3200. The Ultegra is on sale for $3800. If I didn't have a preference for Shimano, the Cervelo Rival looks pretty nice.

I'm going to have a hard time not purchasing the Synapse Carbon Ultegra in the liquigas colors. I will not purchase a black bike. I keep telling myself fit is important. But when I spend that much money, I want to smile when I look at it.
Old 03-19-12, 08:32 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
I'm going to have a hard time not purchasing the Synapse Carbon Ultegra in the liquigas colors. I will not purchase a black bike. I keep telling myself fit is important. But when I spend that much money, I want to smile when I look at it.
I think the synapse with red is the hi-mod frame and the ultegra comes with a regular (whatever that means) frame. I never rode the hi-mod and have no idea how it's different. You may know or might find out if you haven't ridden the regular frame yet. Any feedback you have would be interesting. Personally, I'm loving the synapse. I'd call it "fast comfort" and I smile when I ride it.
Old 03-19-12, 10:21 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I take back the Force being better quality than Ultegra, although I had problems with my ultegra shifters. The plastic internals broke and affected my braking. Sram force uses metal internals and keeps braking and shifting dynamics separate.

Me bad. Bad experience only with ult.