Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Xray a Carbon Fiber frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 03:27 PM
mattdd60

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How do I go about finding a place to xray my carbon fiber frame?

It looks OK, but I just want to be sure.
Old 09-26-12, 03:42 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
When in doubt, throw it out.

An xray might cost more than a replacement frame.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-26-12, 03:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5840 Post(s)
Liked 2,673 Times in 1,488 Posts
I don't believe that an X-ray will give you any useful information. The airline industry had a similar problem with the tails of Airbus A-300s after the crash involving a damaged rudder. At the time it was determined that there was no conclusive, non-destructive way to test the structural integrity of the tails on the remaining fleet. The technology has improved since then, so you can search for materials testing labs in your area, but odds are a replacement frame may be cheaper.

My advice is to do an honest risk assessment based on the information you have. You definitely want to be more conservative with forks, and the head of the frame, but can afford a higher risk at the Bottom bracket, or rear triangle since the consequences of failures there aren't likely to be as serious.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-26-12, 04:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Are you any where near Area 51? and do you have the security clearance
to get in the front Gate?

OR , can you find a University materials science Lab with a Scanning Electron Microscope ?

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-26-12 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-27-12, 01:02 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,714 Times in 2,532 Posts
scanning electron microscope might be a good idea because you have to cut the frame up into little bitty pieces to use it
Old 09-27-12, 04:57 AM
kamtsa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do a google search. For example, these people say they can x-ray it

https://www.carbonframerepair.com/ind...on-fiber-bike/
Old 09-27-12, 06:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
fbinny

This is a little of subject here, but what you say about Airbus's is correct. Many pilots wont let their families fly on them. Give me a titanium frame any day if you want a premium frame.
Old 10-08-15, 10:49 PM
Cinqovitto
Dopers suck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With the advent of film-less digital x-ray imaging, the actual cost of imaging is greatly reduced because there are no actual consumables (film, processing fluid etc.) One of the doctors at the hospital where I work as an x-ray technologist drove into his garage with his carbon fiber bike attached to his roof rack (attached by front forks). It broke the rack and bent the overhead door. There is no visible damage to the bike. Paint is not cracked anywhere so we decided to xray it. The images are reduced quality due to exporting/conversion to jpg but show no evidence of fracture or delamination. The steer tube images are taken at 0 , 45 and 90 degrees of rotation, repeated twice using different technical factors (kV and mAs because I was unsure what settings would work best). I took multiple images on each cassette because it is easier than flipping through images when viewing. My next plan is to do some destructive testing to the point of failure and then xray it to see what it looks like.
Old 10-09-15, 07:25 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,908 Times in 2,331 Posts
I've always wanted a borescope for checking out the insides of a frame. problem is the ones with a tiny camera end diameter (with light too) are the real $ ones. Andy.
Old 10-09-15, 08:41 AM
Earl Grey

Bikes: '10 Fuji Cross Comp, '12 Brompton S-Type, '14 All City Mr Pink

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
This is a little of subject here, but what you say about Airbus's is correct. Many pilots wont let their families fly on them. Give me a titanium frame any day if you want a premium frame.
What FB said about the difficulty of inspection may be true, but avoiding the composite aircraft in current Western passenger service has no basis in reality. Certainly, anyone who considers flying in a composite transport-category aircraft unacceptably risky would be horrified by the thought of riding a bicycle.
Old 10-09-15, 10:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Earl Grey
What FB said about the difficulty of inspection may be true, but avoiding the composite aircraft in current Western passenger service has no basis in reality. Certainly, anyone who considers flying in a composite transport-category aircraft unacceptably risky would be horrified by the thought of riding a bicycle.
In the case of the Airbus, it was a combination of a weak tail, and poor programming of the flight computer. But they blamed the pilot in the cover up.

So I guess if a CF bike shatters, we will just blame the cyclist.
Old 10-09-15, 10:54 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
In the case of the Airbus, it was a combination of a weak tail, and poor programming of the flight computer. But they blamed the pilot in the cover up.

So I guess if a CF bike asplodes, we will just blame the cyclist.
Fixed...
Old 10-09-15, 11:04 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
A limitation of x-rays is that the image is generated by the total x-ray intensity lost due to absorbance along a line from the x-ray source to the film or digital sensor. The decrease in intensity is the same for a solid layer or several layers of the same total thickness and material, so something like delamination wont' show.
Old 10-09-15, 11:22 AM
Earl Grey

Bikes: '10 Fuji Cross Comp, '12 Brompton S-Type, '14 All City Mr Pink

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In AA587 the NTSB said that the design of the rudder systems was contributory, and recommended that the FAA look at modifications to both the airplane and the certification standards. There's no question that the co-pilot performed a maneuver the airplane was never certified to withstand (unless you think that the FDR data was fake). If that was a 'cover up' they did a terrible job.

Almost every type has had accidents. My point stands that avoiding currently-flying airplanes because they are composite has no basis in the safety record.
Old 10-09-15, 04:19 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
What about an MRI?
Old 10-09-15, 08:14 PM
snotrockets

Bikes: Merlin Extralight

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Airplanes frames are different, due to stress factors and carbon layouts, so while an X-ray may not work for finding a court-held evidence for airplane fault, it may be enough for verifying if a bike is OK. I know Canyon published they put used frames through CT scans (which is x-ray).

The tip I got once, that unless you have access to a hospital facility (most don't), the trick is finding a cyclists-friendly vet, and ask to use their X-ray with the same parameters as for the collarbone of great Dane dog.

MRI won't work, because you can't have any ferromagnetic material in an MRI scanner. So it'd break the frames if it's not 100% non-ferrous (so embedded metal sleeves or races are a no-no in MRI). Also, it works by exciting hydrogen atoms in the water inside the body: won't work for carbon…
Old 10-09-15, 10:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,714 Times in 2,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I've always wanted a borescope for checking out the insides of a frame. problem is the ones with a tiny camera end diameter (with light too) are the real $ ones. Andy.
there are some pretty good usb ones on ebay for not too much money. I want a right angle one, haven't seen that. But I've used mine for looking at plug dropouts from the inside of a fork blade. I tried the ones at work, and none were long enough, but my $15 ebay camera worked fine. I think mine is 10mm, as they get smaller they go up in price. Saw one that was under 4mm, but it had the hand-held display and cost over $100. I would rather skip the display and pay less. Would let you look at a lot of stuff inside frames though.
Old 09-01-16, 08:22 PM
cyclehaus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xray absolutely works

We use xray everyday to inspect carbon bike frames, we shot over 11,000 xrays last year and about 20k total. Cracks are visible and other then visual inspection this is the only economical way to inspect for crack like damage. We also do infrared, acoustic, and ultrasonic but not for bikes. The material is to finite for those types of inspection techniques and the set up time and calibration is time/cost prohibitive. If anybody is telling you different is because they don't have the experience or the resources. Period!
Old 09-01-16, 08:42 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
When in doubt, throw it out.

An xray might cost more than a replacement frame.
THIS!

Sure they can find the cracks but of course will charge you to find them, then you have to have the frame repaired which means even more money, yeah, it's quite possible you could exceed the value of the frame with the scans and repairs.

Then look into some other material for your next bike like titanium or steel and not be bothered with not knowing about the condition of the frame...except the fork will remain a problem since most forks today are CF.
Old 09-01-16, 08:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,908 Times in 2,331 Posts
cyclehaus- Please elaborate. Do you have postable shots which you can show good VS damages structure? Who (no names needed but some idea as to privet riders, manufacturers or lawyers...) are your customers. Do you combine various methods to assess frames besides xrays and if so how do the different methods compare or support each other. Andy.
Old 09-01-16, 08:51 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by snotrockets
The tip I got once, that unless you have access to a hospital facility (most don't), the trick is finding a cyclists-friendly vet, and ask to use their X-ray with the same parameters as for the collarbone of great Dane dog.
I would imagine the average dental x-ray machine would be ideal for bike inspection of problematic areas. You can even scan 360 around a tube, which would show delamination.
Old 09-01-16, 08:57 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 2,063 Posts
Try NDT services in our area.

Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) Services in Utah (UT) on ThomasNet.com
Old 09-01-16, 09:04 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Earl Grey
In AA587 the NTSB said that the design of the rudder systems was contributory, and recommended that the FAA look at modifications to both the airplane and the certification standards. There's no question that the co-pilot performed a maneuver the airplane was never certified to withstand (unless you think that the FDR data was fake). If that was a 'cover up' they did a terrible job.

Almost every type has had accidents. My point stands that avoiding currently-flying airplanes because they are composite has no basis in the safety record.
Please don't confuse ride-an-agenda with facts. He knows better than the NTSB -- just ask him. Leave him to riding airplanes with titanium frames (HAW!).
Old 09-01-16, 09:33 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclehaus
We use xray everyday to inspect carbon bike frames, we shot over 11,000 xrays last year and about 20k total. Cracks are visible and other then visual inspection this is the only economical way to inspect for crack like damage......
This goes along with what I've heard from some bike manufacturers that our shop deals with. With carbon frames that are possibly cracked, we've sent the frame to warranty, and I've been told it is x-rayed to determine if there's actually a crack.
Old 09-02-16, 04:06 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by snotrockets
Airplanes frames are different, due to stress factors and carbon layouts, so while an X-ray may not work for finding a court-held evidence for airplane fault, it may be enough for verifying if a bike is OK. I know Canyon published they put used frames through CT scans (which is x-ray).

MRI won't work, because you can't have any ferromagnetic material in an MRI scanner. So it'd break the frames if it's not 100% non-ferrous (so embedded metal sleeves or races are a no-no in MRI). Also, it works by exciting hydrogen atoms in the water inside the body: won't work for carbon…
Canyon only sells used racing frames, and every frame is CT scan before being allowed to be sold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.