Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tilted seat on Electra Townie

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-18, 05:26 PM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

My wife has an Electra Townie 7D, I think it's a 2014 model. It looks just like the bikes in this link. https://www.electrabike.com/bikes/to...-eq?g=stepthru

When riding behind my wife today, I noticed that her saddle was tilted to the left. It wasn't uncomfortable for her, in fact she didn't even notice it. When we stopped I made sure the collar on the seatpost was tight, and the up/down adjuster was tight. I can't figure out why it's leaning to the left. Where you might expect to find the 2 springs to adjust, on the rear of the saddle, are 2 elastomers. I don't really know what that is, I just read it in the manual. The manual doesn't mention any way to adjust these. Are they adjustable in any way? Any ideas what might be causing this problem? Is the saddle shot?
Old 09-23-18, 10:22 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
It's possible that your wife's legs aren't the same length. This isn't unusual- in fact, most people aren't symmetrical.
(It's worse as you get taller. My right leg is 1/2" shorter than my left, but then I'm 6-foot-4.)
For your Electra Townie, I would look for screws, nuts or bolts holding the elastomer assemblies together. Tightening or loosening one or both might level the seat.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 09-24-18, 04:20 AM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Jeff. I turned the bike over this morning, and there was a phillips head screw in each elastomer assembly, Loosening the screw on the left side about 1 turn seemed to level out the seat.
Old 09-24-18, 08:46 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Tpcorr
Thanks Jeff. I turned the bike over this morning, and there was a phillips head screw in each elastomer assembly, Loosening the screw on the left side about 1 turn seemed to level out the seat.
Just don't tell your wife that you have a screw loose. She might believe you.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..