Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New steel frame. Small dings and defect

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New steel frame. Small dings and defect

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 02:13 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Regardless of where I stand on keeping or sending the frame back to where it came from, getting zero response from them is not a good sign. If you got it direct from Soma, it is double bad sign, as they should be aware of the importance of customer service.

When we were purchasing from Merry Sales, it was always a pleasure. Management may have changed since then.
Old 12-20-19, 06:42 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Suppose it was some distributer that this frame was purchased from and not directly from Soma, and the distributer put those dings in the frame. Wouldn't that be the distributers problem to correct and not Soma's? Or was the frame purchased directly from Soma by the original poster?
Old 12-20-19, 10:00 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
The FAQ at the Somafab page says the response time to e-mail is 3-5 days: https://www.somafab.com/faqs
Also, they suggest buying directly from them as the last option:
Originally Posted by somafab
I checked your dealer listing. I don’t have a dealer near me. How can I get a Soma?
1) First thing you can do is ask your local bike shop to special order one for you. We sell many a frame this way. The shop can order through one of our distributors (several in the U.S.). This is what we prefer you do, since you get the best service/value that way and we want to support brick and mortar bike shops.
2) If that doesn’t work, try mail order. We have several outlets for that.
3) Thirdly, you can buy direct at The Soma Shop We do charge full retail at the online shop and don’t have shipping discounts. At a local bike shop or mail order shop, you may find better deals, discounted shipping and better service. We always encourage you to support your local bike shop if possible!
Old 12-22-19, 04:02 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by RidesaCarlton
Forty years ago I purchased a Carlton Professional that had a blemish. I got a deal. That was not the only problem with the frame.
10 years ago, I figured out why the frame seemed funny. The rear Campagnolo dropouts are not aligned to each other. The dish is always wrong on the rear wheel.

While you have found 3 things wrong with your frame, how do you know that there isn't another hidden problem? If its going to be your pride and joy, you don't want a surprise that was slipped under the "second" label.
Forty years ago. Carlton and Raleigh were on their way out of business. Everyone knew that. Everyone knew QC had been spotty a long time. It was a pro level frame, standards of the day said it should be sold at a pro level shop and an alignment check should have been part of assembly. If basic shop alignment was not sufficient to correct the problem the frame should have gone back to Raleigh. Who would have taken it back. When pro bikes are sold by amateurs there are problems, were then, are now. Manufacturers who get strict with what they will sell to who go out of business quick. Raleigh was operating on a model that had made sense twenty years previous in the home market and just did not work at all in US.

Photos two and three on OPs frame show paint blemishes that are absolutely characteristic of midrange steel frames. To build and paint frames with zero defects of that nature would double the price. Photo one the OP is somewhat equivocal about it being a dent or a blister. Photo could show either. If a blister there would be real concern about how the paint was done and concern the whole paint job would fail soon and rust away. If a dent no structural concerns at all. Black touches up easy. Fill the hole with paint and buff out. For half price on old stock it could happen.

It's a factory frame. It is also a hand built frame and a hand painted frame. Humans ain't perfect. Robot built frames are real different. Customers expect to get perfection that looks like a robot did it. And want it to ride like a human built it. No-win situation at lower price points.
Old 12-22-19, 09:35 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
*Imagined call to Soma"
Good morning, Soma.
Hi, I have a frame I want to send back for defects.
I'm sorry to hear that - can you send me some details?
Sure, I can email them to you if you're at your computer.
OK - here's my address - please send them.
(momentary pause as email is sent)
OK, what am I looking at?
Look at that dent! Look at that bulge and the huge hole in the paint!
Um, these photos are about 6-7X magnified and I can still barely see the "blemishes" - I'm honestly not sure what the concern is.
Well, it's not perfect!
Cosmetically, the frame meets our standards for a well made, dependable frame, I'm still not sure what the concern is...

(Conversation goes downhill from here)
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 12-22-19, 05:55 PM
Slowridr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
The FAQ at the Somafab page says the response time to e-mail is 3-5 days: https://www.somafab.com/faqs
Also, they suggest buying directly from them as the last option:
Thanks for that. I'll cut them some slack then. But a reply would of still been nice.

​​​​​​
Old 12-25-19, 08:16 PM
Slowridr

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for you help everyone. I've decided to build up the frame.

I just want to confirm the bulge has not effect on the safety or build of the frame? Sorry for asking again. Im just not knowledgeable enough on this and still not sure how it would happen. Dents and dings I get, never seen a bulge. Safety is always number 1. Just want to make sure that won't crack or cause any other problems later in.

I've added some better pics. No zoom

Thanks again. Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-19, 08:48 PM
slow_runner

Bikes: Early Shadow handcycle plus R20 project

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Hi slowridr, that small bulge/bubble is under the seat stay, right?
If so, it is not visibly evident. It is so small and not under compression load. In my younger years have ridden battered old Triumph frames with massive creases and never had a mishap, or a concern.
They probably punch out thousands of these frames and sold rebadged etc so a few small flaws will occur.
Myself? There is no obvious sign of loss of structural integrity, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Clamp a tail light or other there if it bothers you, or a damn big arrow transfer pointing to it so you can monitor it.
I would wager that in a month or two of riding you will laugh at your initial concerns.
The frame was sold as new, correct? Well, it is guaranteed; you have images and this thread as witness if you ever needed to call on the guarantee. I doubt very much that you will though.
Merry Christmas to you and all others - it is Boxing day here so the feasting is over - until New Years Day.

Last edited by slow_runner; 12-26-19 at 02:07 AM.
Likes For slow_runner:
Old 12-26-19, 11:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowridr
I just want to confirm the bulge has not effect on the safety or build of the frame? Sorry for asking again. Im just not knowledgeable enough on this and still not sure how it would happen. Dents and dings I get, never seen a bulge. Safety is always number 1. Just want to make sure that won't crack or cause any other problems later in.
Put simply- seat stays are not load bearing and are instead often built thin for compliance(springy). The stay is not going to suddenly break. The frame could have been built with thinner and narrower stays, for perspective.
I wouldnt think twice to ride it from a safety perspective.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-27-19, 08:43 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowridr

Looking from here through the internet, that could simply be a paint sag. Only way to find out for sure is to sand it down and see what's underneath.

Or, tackle it as a paint sag to get rid of it. https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1546004
Old 12-28-19, 03:53 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Bulge is most likely a paint spatter that was incompletely buffed out. Could also be excess brazing material that escaped being filed/sanded off. Either way no effect on strength whatever.

Bulges do happen. A bulge that small even in a somewhat critical area would only be a tiny concern. Steel swallows defects like that.
Old 12-28-19, 05:21 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
Caviar standards with a McDonald's budget.

The bike is functionally perfect and aesthetically very good. Ride the bike. Real life will foul it much worse in no time.
Old 12-30-19, 09:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Can't wait until this pops up as a zombie thread in 2027.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-30-19, 10:44 AM
Commutess
Single speeder

Bikes: I have six.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It looks like there is a trail leading from the cross member (caliper brake mount) weld to the bulge itself. The bulge looks like some excess weld material, which means that particular bulge adds to the strength of the frame. Low end frames are not going to have perfect or smooth welds.