Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How many holes can you put in a tire before it goes flat?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 09:25 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

Those who have not seen these videos may be amazed.

Old 02-26-20, 09:30 AM
Fredo_Adagio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
I'd like to see an experiment like this with a 25 mm road tire. I have heard the opinion that tubeless tires make little sense for road bikes because the volume of air they hold is relatively small, so too much air pressure is lost before a puncture is sealed.
Old 02-26-20, 10:03 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Well, normally it takes just one.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 02-26-20, 10:13 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by TooOldandSlow
I'd like to see an experiment like this with a 25 mm road tire. I have heard the opinion that tubeless tires make little sense for road bikes because the volume of air they hold is relatively small, so too much air pressure is lost before a puncture is sealed.
The one factor that still makes tubeless 25mm's worth it in my experience - I rode a set and got a nail in one. Once I stopped and pulled the nail out, the tire resealed and all I had to do was pull out my compact frame pump and it was back up to 90psi in about one minute. So yes - I had to stop, but not having to change out a tube was really nice. In a race situation you'd need a wheel change regardless so no real benefit there.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 02-26-20, 12:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
Originally Posted by tgenec86
The one factor that still makes tubeless 25mm's worth it in my experience - I rode a set and got a nail in one. Once I stopped and pulled the nail out, the tire resealed and all I had to do was pull out my compact frame pump and it was back up to 90psi in about one minute. So yes - I had to stop, but not having to change out a tube was really nice. In a race situation you'd need a wheel change regardless so no real benefit there.
Yeah. I had a 25c front tire seal pretty damn quickly. Didn't even bother topping it off. Had a 23c puncture that I didn't even notice. Only realized it the next day when I discovered Orange Seal on the seatstays. With that said, I have had punctures that would not hold above 60 psi.
Old 02-26-20, 12:45 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by TooOldandSlow
That's the experience I've had using sealant in tubular tires, but that said, you can pump the tire up again without dismounting it.