Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Latest tool purchase and why...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Latest tool purchase and why...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 07:37 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Does this have the Campy peenah...
Old 02-29-20, 07:42 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Mad P,
Go to Menard's and buy a pair of Knipex cutters. $43 -$50, but worth every penny. Will last as long as you wrench. Smiles, MH
Old 02-29-20, 07:51 PM
billnuke1 

Just paint the handles blue...
Old 02-29-20, 08:02 PM
Mad Honk 

Looky here now Nuke!
Not every tool needs blue handles. Sometimes the red stands out enough to make them easily recognizable. And as I contend they are better than the Parks,cause they last longer. Smiles, (from the land of too many tools) MH
Old 02-29-20, 08:14 PM
Mad Honk 

Guy's,
My local scrap yard had some back boards come in from Steel case desks that were aluminium slot board. About three feet long and two feet tall. I got to thinking about it and they would make the best wall board set up. A few bolts slipped into the slots and locked down and they would be great for tool board access-ability. And they are about the right length to bolt above a rolling toolbox as a backboard. It is like adding an extra drawer to the box without a lot of extra work. And it is not peg-board which limits the spacing between tools. Just a thought. MH
Old 02-29-20, 09:33 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I needed a chain tool and didn't feel like having to ever buy one again or deal with all the new standards that come out. Life is too short for shoddy tools:

It is a beautiful tool. It feels amazing in the hands and is smooth as buttah. It was on sale so it was sort of my decemberween holiday gift otherwise I probably would have gone a touch cheaper.
I love the color. The green and the "Abbey" name make me think Irish. But... but... it's $175, and it doesn't even have WiFi. But it is green...

I looked at the Abbey site, count me in for the ball cap at $15.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 02-29-20, 10:12 PM
SClaraPokeman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Not the most recent tool purchase, but I'd like to give a shout-out to the Pedro's vice whip. It's basically a special purpose vice grip--it holds a cog in place while I use a Harbor Freight breaker bar to loosen my cassette lock ring. Man, this invention seems so obvious; I wish it had been available decades earlier. I hated using chain whips because I could never remember which way it went on and I skinned my knuckles using them more than once. I think CWs are now obsolete and because taking apart cassettes for cleaning is so easy with the vice I've said goodbye to flossing my cassettes.
Old 02-29-20, 11:33 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I haven't bought it yet but will buy a Suntour Freewheel compatible removal tool because the Pixies have absconded with my original Suntour freewheel removal tool. They'll probably bring it back as soon as I buy the replacement one. LOL

Cheers
Old 03-01-20, 01:33 AM
shine2000

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
park tool pedal remover.i was hearing some noise near my drivertrain and i could feel one pedal moving every pedal upwards and make click noise.i used this on it and took off and greased the pedal joint and put it back on with the tool and tested and it worked! worth every penny
Old 03-01-20, 02:24 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
Years ago, Sears sold a 20 piece Gear Wrench set for $50, SAE and Metric. And they were solid heads, not flex or even offset. The flex heads are a pain but I never really torque on them either. Personally, I used to think they were a dumb idea. But now they are the first thing I grab.
I would definitely go for these for auto work, but would really prefer 6 point ratchet box ends versus 12 points. Less chance of slip off.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 03-01-20, 09:16 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I love the color. The green and the "Abbey" name make me think Irish. But... but... it's $175, and it doesn't even have WiFi. But it is green...

I looked at the Abbey site, count me in for the ball cap at $15.
Yeah it is green and the green makes it better. It is expensive I got mine on a 20-25% off sale during the holidays that is why I got mine. I knew I needed a chain tool, Abbey is never on sale and their is no employee or wholesale price so I said let's do it and I am so happy I did, it feels so good in the hand and feels like it will last forever.

It's quite a nice ball cap as well. I haven't seen anything from them I wouldn't really want if I could.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-01-20, 02:30 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I would definitely go for these for auto work, but would really prefer 6 point ratchet box ends versus 12 points. Less chance of slip off.
I have 6 and 12 point combination wrenches. Both have proper places and uses. As for the ratcheting wrenches, I do not use them for torque, but repetition.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 03-06-20, 10:28 AM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
I bought an Ice Tools Ocarina compact beam style torque wrench. Was dealing with my first carbon steer tube and it was a cheap solution.

I also just bought this awesome Brooks P1 hand pump. It's an awesome hand pump. It's compact and the pressure gauge is spot on with my floor pump. It's on sale everywhere. Recommended.
Old 03-06-20, 11:47 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Just getting ready to order a multitool (I've actually never owned one--I always just used separate tools for everything). Anyone have a suggestion for one they like? It needs to have a chain tool on it, if at all possible. Thanks to anyone who replies!
Old 03-06-20, 11:54 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Just getting ready to order a multitool (I've actually never owned one--I always just used separate tools for everything). Anyone have a suggestion for one they like? It needs to have a chain tool on it, if at all possible. Thanks to anyone who replies!
Look at the Lezyne tools. They are well made and compact. I have an SV-10

Last edited by GeneO; 03-06-20 at 12:09 PM.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 03-06-20, 12:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
10K lumen LED shop light for $30 - $15 rebate
Old 03-06-20, 02:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
It's a matter of taste, but I really dislike multi-tools, because they don't do anything well. I have a Park Tool MT-1 which sucks less than others because it doesn't try to do many things. If I lose it, I won't replace it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-06-20, 05:05 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's a matter of taste, but I really dislike multi-tools, because they don't do anything well. I have a Park Tool MT-1 which sucks less than others because it doesn't try to do many things. If I lose it, I won't replace it.
Huh. Had not hear that before. Thanks!!
Old 03-06-20, 08:29 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Recently bought a Park cable and housing cutter. Should have bought it about 20 years ago.
Likes For randallr:
Old 03-06-20, 11:43 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
What brand 6 point ratchet do you use. I've been considering the SK X-frames but need to find a good deal on them when I actually have the money in hand, somehow those two situations never seem to line up.

Originally Posted by zjrog
I have 6 and 12 point combination wrenches. Both have proper places and uses. As for the ratcheting wrenches, I do not use them for torque, but repetition.
I just picked up a pair of Snap-On ratcheting combination wrenches in 17mm and 15mm with 0* offset heads. I find them sturdy enough for bicycle use that I can use them to break things free, especially like them for cone adjustments since it makes it easier to keep the leverage on the cones optimal. I have busted gearwrench doing the same thing but they usually lasted a couple years and could be warrentied. If I'm worried about how tight something is I do have my Wrights which won't ever slip or give to break it loose first but that's usually automotive in nature.
Old 03-07-20, 02:17 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
What brand 6 point ratchet do you use. I've been considering the SK X-frames but need to find a good deal on them when I actually have the money in hand, somehow those two situations never seem to line up.

I just picked up a pair of Snap-On ratcheting combination wrenches in 17mm and 15mm with 0* offset heads. I find them sturdy enough for bicycle use that I can use them to break things free, especially like them for cone adjustments since it makes it easier to keep the leverage on the cones optimal. I have busted gearwrench doing the same thing but they usually lasted a couple years and could be warrentied. If I'm worried about how tight something is I do have my Wrights which won't ever slip or give to break it loose first but that's usually automotive in nature.
I have SAE and Metric sets by Craftsman, when they were Sears Lifetime Guarantee with no questions asked replacements. I only ever damaged one and it was a 19mm on a 3/4" breaker bar with 1/2" adapter trying a break loose a lower shock bolt on an old VW. Oh yeah, I has a 3 foot cheater pipe on it. The socket cracked, but was still usable for routine lightening. They must be close to 35-40 years old. I have also picked up some Snap-ons at yard and estate sales. 6 points do not round the bolt head like a 12 can.

I have a set of Park cone wrenches and also some older ones.

My ultimate bike-related tool is a "Giant Campagnolo Corkscrew" that I bought right after I got my first real job. It has it's own box with excelsior padding. It opens a wine bottle so you do not whine when you break a 19mm socket...
Old 03-07-20, 09:12 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's a matter of taste, but I really dislike multi-tools, because they don't do anything well.
Tom, I have never owned a jackknife-style multitool. Most of them have too many things that I don't need for day riding, and they're heavy. Seems like overkill for "just in case" use.

I have a Park Tool MT-1 which sucks less than others because it doesn't try to do many things. If I lose it, I won't replace it.
I carry the MT-1, and think it's just enough for "just in case." I rarely use it. But I like it, and agree that it sucks the least of the many options.

Old 03-07-20, 10:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Multitools compromise the way you hold the tool, and sometimes the handle or another part of the tool prevents good rotation. So when I'm likely to do roadside repairs such as on a group ride, I carry individual tools such as allen keys, screwdrivers, and wrenches.

The MT-1 doesn't have a phillips screwdriver, so beware of that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-07-20, 12:10 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I just ordered this Topeak Nano TorqBox X Socket for my travel bike because it was on sale for $26 at REI. I couldn't find any reviews so I hope it works.
Old 03-08-20, 02:32 PM
billnuke1 

Magnetic...

These little HF beauties!
$.99 for the 4” and $1.99 for the 6”!
On the metal topped bench, a dropped piece, a rogue bearing, is immediately corralled by the numerous and strategically placed magnetic trays stuck to the table!
Of course they also stick to the work stands...
I keep all of my wife’s tossed out cookie sheets, brownie pans...when these 4”/6” magnetic trays are placed inside of these sheets and pans, they become magnetisd themselves!
Of course the sheets and pans can not be aluminum...I keep both materials...
Great for separating parts and keeping other parts in order...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.