Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Patina Preservation: Am I on the right track? - Raleigh Tourist DL-1

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-20, 10:02 AM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts

What is the best way to remove surface rust? After rust is removed/halted, what is the best way to preserve/coat the affected areas? Are there any other steps I should include in the plan below? Suggestions welcomed.

I have a '75 Raleigh Tourist DL-1 I enjoy cruising around nearby Lake Como or when I feel like a leisurely cruise:

It's in pretty good shape over all, but the fenders have a bunch of rust:

To treat the rust on the fenders (I'll be leaving the frame alone as the paint is in pretty good condition), I am planning to use a brass wire wheel on a Dremel. I've also read that people use a single edge razor blade to scrape off larger rust spots, so I might give that a try as well if the wire wheel can't handle some spots.

Once the bubbly, powdery rust is removed, I'm planning to scrub (formerly) rusty areas with Barkeepers Friend - avoiding paint when possible since I understand it is a mild abrasive. I'm hoping the Oxalic Acid in Barkeepers will also take care of some of the rust. Would using Ospho at the point be redundant or have some unintended consequences?

Finally, after rinsing and drying, I plan to use tips I kindly got from Prowler to coat the fenders in boiled linseed oil (BLO). A treatment of BLO seems to be a pretty C&V appropriate way to add a little sheen to the less shiny fenders and to give them a little protection for all the fine work they've done to keep the frame protected.

Any suggestions to improve my plan would be appreciated.

Last edited by thorstein; 03-12-20 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Make mouse-over add to post info.
Old 03-12-20, 11:32 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
You might just want to knock down the loose rust, sorta smooth it out then treat with rust converter. It generally dries black anyway. These are mudguards, they show patina proudly!
Old 03-12-20, 11:47 AM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

3speedslow What would you suggest for a rust converter? I would prefer something with low toxicity.

Edit: Would a scrub with Barkeepers Friend count as a rust converter, or is that more of a rust remover?

Last edited by thorstein; 03-12-20 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 03-12-20, 12:11 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by thorstein
3speedslow What would you suggest for a rust converter? I would prefer something with low toxicity.

Edit: Would a scrub with Barkeepers Friend count as a rust converter, or is that more of a rust remover?
I would brush off the crusty stuff, wash them well, and use Evaporust in a wallpaper tray. Wash again after treatment, dry, and do a paint touch-up. Black is easy to match.
Old 03-12-20, 01:17 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Originally Posted by thorstein

Rustoleum has a good product. Barkeeper is not a converter but a remover. Treating it as has been said will work but is never a final call, Rust never....
Old 03-12-20, 04:14 PM
thorstein

Afternoon's work

I took some time this afternoon to remove surface rust with a brass wire wheel.
Before:

After:

I like the results so far, & if a rust converter will turn the rusted areas even blacker all the better.

Next step is a rust converter. @3speedslow suggested Rustex by Rustoleum. Has anyone compared it to Ospho or know what the differences would be between the two?

Thanks all for the help & suggestions.