Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1989 Miyata Country Runner

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-25-20, 12:53 PM
Cdub304

Bikes: 1989 Miyata Country Runner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, all. Looking for thoughts on how to proceed with mostly intact, low mileage Miyata. Only thing that looks broken is the rear derailleur shifter (Shimano Exage Trail). Im new to wrenching, but thought maybe this could be a learning project. Should I renew with new components e. g. single speed etc., or clean and restore? Thanks for your opinions!
Old 03-25-20, 02:43 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: CURRENT: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '74 Campania Professional, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '91 Univega Alpina Comp PAST: '72 Puch Bergmeister, '72ish Peugeot UO-8, '86 Univega Gran Premio, '85 Univega Viva Touring

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 197 Posts
If this is your first refurbishment, I would start with just restoring what you have. Give enough time to learn about each component and system, consult youtube (RJ the Bike Guy has a lot of good quality videos that cover basic and advanced tasks), and ask questions here. And post lots of pictures! Welcome!
Old 03-25-20, 02:55 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 81 Posts
Leave it geared unless you live in the flatlands. You can source a new shifter, maybe not same exact, but similar.
when learning it helps to document the repairs with photos. When disassembled, up and down, left and right can be confused. I second the notion of videos. Plus Park Tools website.
Old 03-25-20, 03:09 PM
USAZorro
Seor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
Leave it geared unless you live in the flatlands. You can source a new shifter, maybe not same exact, but similar.
when learning it helps to document the repairs with photos. When disassembled, up and down, left and right can be confused. I second the notion of videos. Plus Park Tools website.
Nor Cal doesn't have many places that qualify as flatlands. I do endorse the approach. Try to replace what doesn't work with the same, or functional equivalent.
Old 03-25-20, 09:19 PM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I did some quick searching & found a few catalogue scans that could help in finding parts.

catalogue
specs from catalogue

I'd say make any changes that will make you want to ride it more.
Old 03-26-20, 04:12 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac, 196? Torpado Professional

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 234 Posts
The first thing that I do when entering into a vintage bicycle project is Test Ride the bicycle. Doing this one thing just might save you a lot of work, frustration and dollars. Have a look at the article and others at that site, and you should find helpful ideas to get you going. You will find how to do it features, what tools you will need (depending on level or work intended) and, hopefully, have fun learning.

Believe it or not, I use each and every tool in the box on just about every bike that I build. Best of luck and welcome to Bike Forums.
Old 03-26-20, 06:45 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 226 Posts
Replacement derailleurs are cheap, cheaper than a single speed conversion. MTB/ATB typically have vertical drop outs, making them a bad choice for SS. Its doable, but you will need more $$ stuff to do it.

Want to ride single speed? Stop shifting. After a while, you will come to a hill/incline. At that point, shifting is a benefit.

At the co op where I volunteer, you can get a nice used RD for $5 and some free advice.
Old 03-26-20, 08:47 AM
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 105 Posts
We've all been where you are at one time or another. C&V folks are very helpful. You can also get help from the the Bicycle Mechanics forum. Good luck!