Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seat tube stamped or just a dent?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-06-20, 08:13 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts

For good or bad I was very bored (too much for my own good) and decided it was time to refinish an old Moser. Any way as I stripped the paint off the seat tube and got to a dent I always knew was there, it looked a little strange to me. It has been there for the years I have had it and I always assumed it was from the front derailleur clamp. With the paint removed it looks like it was stamped and not a dent to me, possibly to place a derailleur braze on? Looking for other opinions as if it is a dent I will fill it prior to powder coating. Also what are the thoughts on the cable guide. They look a little ratty to me and thinking of changing to internal.

The bike is a Moser supersprint either 84'or 85'

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 04-06-20 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-06-20, 08:39 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
It looks like a stamp from the factory to me...could be for a FD braze-on as you suspect.
Ben
Old 04-06-20, 09:40 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
I've never seen a tube crimped to locate a braze-on tab, but I've seen several frames with such indentations from an over-tightened front derailer.
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-06-20, 10:23 AM
daviddavieboy

This is another picture to show the orientation of the dent.
Old 04-06-20, 10:34 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
It's hard for me to imagine that the frame's maker would crimp the tube for a braze-on but not braze it on.

That would appear shoddy, no?

One option would be to force it out by shoving a lubricated, correct-sized socket through the seat tube. Be sure though that there are no pins or tube overlap preventing the socket from being pushed all the way through, and that the socket is short enough to pass through at the bb shell, or might be difficult to remove.
Old 04-06-20, 10:51 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
I don't think the dent was from the factory. The two little punch marks, likely as a reference to where to place the braze on mount.

I would replace the cable guide, too far gone.
Old 04-06-20, 11:02 AM
many408

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
It's hard for me to imagine that the frame's maker would crimp the tube for a braze-on but not braze it on.

That would appear shoddy, no?

One option would be to force it out by shoving a lubricated, correct-sized socket through the seat tube. Be sure though that there are no pins or tube overlap preventing the socket from being pushed all the way through, and that the socket is short enough to pass through at the bb shell, or might be difficult to remove.
That'll only work if the seat tube is straight-guage - the indent is above the butt if there is one.
Old 04-06-20, 11:05 AM
daviddavieboy

I am inclined as well to think the punch marks are locating marks and the dent is well . . . Just a dent. As long as I have rode it it has had Campy SR parts but it had a Suntour AR front derailleur on it when I got it I will put the blocks on it and smooth the rest with silver. Thanks all.