Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding thru puddles !

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding thru puddles !

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-20, 04:33 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Riding thru puddles !

Ok before people get all crazy about what I did to the bike, relax. I've been riding for well over 40 years and know what the negative effects of what I did. Now if I though the trail was flooded that deep I would have decided on another route. After the first little flooded area I figured it would be passable and looking back I should have turned around after that first section. But I do like to take a few chances every now and then and proceeded forward. I did find that with no weight on the fat bike the tires help it float (lol). Hey I had fun, got to laugh a bunch, and just plain had a great ride out in the woods. Thats what riding a bike is all about having fun.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 04-15-20, 05:17 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I have done a similar thing, but not quite as deep as that, and only on solid roads. On dirt tracks, there can be pot holes and you cant see them. I went to places by bicycle, that other people were going to by boat. This was in S E Asia. To me it is interesting to see all aspects of life, including what people do when the river level rises, and the roads are flooded. On one road cars passed me. The water was 2 feet deep, but the cars created waves 2 feet high, so my shorts got wet.

Water does provide a lot of resistance to fat bike tires, so you can only go slowly, and it takes a lot of effort to pedal.

I know it is bad for the bike, but it was fun. I still ride the bike.
Likes For alo:
Old 04-15-20, 09:24 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
Reminds me when I was a kid making ramp to jump our bikes into a river. They were cheap Huffys but it was a blast.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 04-17-20, 02:49 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Looks like fun. However, probably the bearings in your bottom bracket and hubs, and possibly the oil in your shock(s) are now contaminated with water and require rebuilding. I rode my road bike through some much shallower water two years ago and didn't take apart for a couple of months...totally destroyed the bearings. Those lip seals will not keep water out if there's more than atmospheric pressure to deal with (i.e. the hydrostatic pressure that results from submergence).
Likes For davester:
Old 04-17-20, 06:09 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Originally Posted by davester
Looks like fun. However, probably the bearings in your bottom bracket and hubs, and possibly the oil in your shock(s) are now contaminated with water and require rebuilding. I rode my road bike through some much shallower water two years ago and didn't take apart for a couple of months...totally destroyed the bearings. Those lip seals will not keep water out if there's more than atmospheric pressure to deal with (i.e. the hydrostatic pressure that results from submergence).
Already tore the bottom bracket apart and rebuilt, will be rebuilding the headset this weekend. I don't have a suspension fork on this bike. The hubs are the only thing I won't do right now. Two years ago I ran into a deep water area with my 29 plus bike and did the same rebuild, and it's been fine since. I've always carried spare parts for my bikes, and do my own work so just adds to the fun.

Last edited by ZIPP2001; 04-17-20 at 06:58 PM.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 04-17-20, 08:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I've done that and had the water slosh around inside the wheels later. Did a 15 mile descent with a lot of water crossings and my friend fell into the water and soaked his Camelbak and all the stuff in it. Ground my rim brakes down to nothing.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-18-20, 08:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
loved the preview riding down a river! you were inches away from dunking that phone!

omg the floating bike was hysterical

what, no ride by?

right before you started crying I was wondering if you wanted to start crying

what does that little sign say?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-18-20 at 09:33 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-18-20, 10:08 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
loved the preview riding down a river! you were inches away from dunking that phone!

omg the floating bike was hysterical

what, no ride by?

right before you started crying I was wondering if you wanted to start crying

what does that little sign say?

Visible water on trail unsafe to pass.

That would have been a tough ride-by.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 04-19-20, 08:27 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Great vid......Looks like you had a blast! Your outfit should keep you safe...from any hunters
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 04-19-20, 06:05 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Great vid......Looks like you had a blast! Your outfit should keep you safe...from any hunters
Thanks !

It was a slow hunting season last year, I only ran across maybe a half dozen hunters last year. I just fear for the horse back riders out here because I've seen them out here during hunting season. just hoping some hunter who's been drinking fires first before getting the proper look.
Old 04-19-20, 07:52 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Great job, and cool video!

Several years ago I came upon a flooded out road on my work commute. There were cars stalled in the middle, some with drivers still in them. I stopped to analyze the situation. Should I turn around and re-route? I'd likely be late if I did. So I took off my shoes and socks and strapped 'em to my rack and went for it. While riding through water almost to the top of my tires, past people in their cars, I saw a fish swim past my tire! Got to the other side, stopped, shook the excess water off my feet and put my socks and shoes back on. Success!
Old 04-19-20, 08:06 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
In S E Asia you see a lot of things when the road floods. One girl walked through the water wearing shorts. When she was through, she put her skirt on and went to school. A girl who worked in a restaurant, parked her motorbike at someone else's house about 3 km from home, then walked the 3 km morning and evening. The girls and people with newish motorbikes don't normally ride through deep water. The boys, particularly those with older motorbikes, often ride through it. Occasionally you see a motorbike that wont go. Then boats come out in some places. They put their motorbike in the boat, and go to where the water is shallow again. The children love playing in the water. In many places, they get to their homes by motorbike normally, and by boat when there are floods. Some houses flood, so they set up a tarp over a simple frame, and live there until the water level drops.
Likes For alo:
Old 04-20-20, 05:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
don’t drown, turn around
Likes For rumrunn6: