Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

48/14 Gears??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

48/14 Gears??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 10:48 PM
brianhamp

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 81 Posts
48/14 Gears??

I picked up a bike the other day and it has 48 tooth front and 14 tooth rear cog on 20x1.75 wheels. Sears Tote-Bike.
The hub is a Bendix Torpedo 3 speed. My question is what is the maximum rear cog that the hub can handle and would give some decent gearing?
I am a casual rider and encounter a few hills in my travels and find the current gears to high.
What would you recommend?
Thanks
Old 04-20-20, 07:32 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I've seen 19t sprockets for this hub, but I think there are some higher counts available.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-20-20, 08:06 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
I thought Torpedo was the SACHS company's hub and that Bendix didn't make 3 speed hubs in the recent 4 or 5 decades. If the hub uses the very common 3 tabbed cog and spring clip retention then it very well might interchange with SA cogs. These have been made in 20 and 22 t versions.

My Auto Mini folder has a SACHS Torpedo 3 speed, don't remember the cog tooth count though. Andy
Old 04-20-20, 11:12 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
If your Bendix will accept Sturmey cogs, Shimano Alfine/Nexis cogs will fit as well. Sturmey makes cogs in 1/8" and 3/32" but I think all of the Shimanos are 3/32".

All IGHs have an input torque limit that you should not exceed; however the only related specs I've are from Rohloff, who say that you must run a minimum 1.9:1 Front/Rear ratio. If this same limit was appropriate for your hub, you could use up to a 25t sprocket (48/25 = 1.9). For riders over 100kg, they raise this limit to 2.5.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-20-20, 05:41 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
A smaller chain ring would be another option.
Old 04-20-20, 09:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
I speculate that hub is a Sachs that was privet labeled for Bendix. Much like Schwinn never made their own ders, Huret and other manufactures simply stamped theirs with Schwinn. SunTour and Sugino did this for Fuji and Raleigh more recently in the 1980s. Old as the hill, buying a branded part. Andy