Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

John Forrester Dead at 90

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-20, 06:57 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

Effective Cycling author John Forester dies at 90

Published April 23, 2020SAN DIEGO (BRAIN) — John Forester, considered the father of "vehicular cycling," died last week at age 90.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...o#.XqI3CCUpCEc

Sad to report, John Forrester has died. I debated him here on Bikeforums dot net dozens of times.
He was known for telling cyclists to “Take the Lane”.
I will miss his insight. May he Rest In Peace.
Old 04-23-20, 07:50 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
R I P John
Old 04-24-20, 01:58 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
I agreed with Mr. Forester back in the 80's and I still do. He was right. Hope someone can say the same about me after I die. RIP
Old 04-24-20, 04:25 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
I met John back in the late 1970's, as he was peddling his "new" Effective Cycling book store to store -
which I have a copy of the 3rd edition, spiral bound in my collection.

He stood out for his knowledge and passion.

RIP, John

rusty
Old 04-24-20, 04:56 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike

Effective Cycling author John Forester dies at 90

Published April 23, 2020SAN DIEGO (BRAIN) — John Forester, considered the father of "vehicular cycling," died last week at age 90.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...o#.XqI3CCUpCEc

Sad to report, John Forrester has died. I debated him here on Bikeforums dot net dozens of times.
He was known for telling cyclists to “Take the Lane”.
I will miss his insight. May he Rest In Peace.
Cause of death?

Old 04-24-20, 10:40 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Very interesting obit in Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#77ae0fe71cc3
Old 04-24-20, 10:41 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by hotbike
Obit in Forbes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#77ae0fe71cc3
Old 04-24-20, 11:38 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Pretty sad Forbes had to give Pucher a pulpit in Forester's obit.

Without Forester's encouragement, I doubt I'd have been able to complete my cross country ride, much less become a daily commuter.
Old 04-24-20, 12:03 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
John's lifetime achievement is for the most part about asserting rights. One always has a right to assert rights & he did so in an unyielding, steadfast, absolute manner. I think that's what rubbed people the wrong way.

John is the reason we have bike lanes. No, not to protect the cyclist, or to make a cyclist feel more comfortable, but to assert by way of infrastructure to drivers that the cyclist has a right to be there, on that road, at that time, in that manner. I don't know that he would see it that way. No doubt making some derision towards comfort or reduction in perceived risk but not actual risk on the part of the cyclist. But nevertheless he was successful in a civil rights perspective that I think most either can't or don't appreciate.

On the topic of dedicated, protected bike lanes...That's just a bridge too far IMO, & he's right about that too. Riding with cars eliminates the half-dozen-odd path crossings between modes on every city block & puts you where you are visible. I've ridden quite a few & the prospect of T-boning an eager driver with obscured sightlines that just crossed your path &/or the deprioritization of signaling along the path to pedestrian speeds keeps me out of them or regretting I got in one nearly every time.

On many fronts his influence was successful with concepts that grew out of (what some would call "vulnerable users") being there, out in front, & visible. I can't help but wonder if eliminating the "free-right" turn in places & giving pedestrians 2-3 seconds of walk signal at crosswalks to get ahead of motorists before the car signal lights change, can be traced back to him, somehow.

Yes, measuring road capacity by car throughput by hour is dated. We now know it's dated. Thanks to Johns lifetime efforts & influence in various circles, that metric has become a lot more nuanced & inclusive to all road users. Road-diets are one such result I can think of off-the-top-of-my-head of feeding more & better design objectives to traffic engineers.

Thank You John for asserting we are all equal & valid road users & should be treated as such. Your life's work has expanded my liberty & opportunity to pursue happiness in ways no one will ever be able to fully account.

Last edited by base2; 04-24-20 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 12:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
It doesn't matter if you agree with him or disagree or even agree partially. We owe him a debt. I have the paperback edition of his book. I should dig it up.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-24-20, 03:52 PM
tburke

Bikes: cervelo p5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
R.I.P John
Old 04-24-20, 06:26 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
I have to admit I knew nothing about this man. My wife and I took a cycling class at Ventura college sometime in the late seventies. We were taught vehicular cycling. Our instructor told us that once you put your fanny on the saddle and your feet on the pedals , you are a vehicle. Do not use sidewalks, crosswalks and obey the same rules as vehicular traffic. We were taught to use the same turn lanes as motor vehicles and hand signals. Other things regarding bike maintenance and repair, cadence, and proper use of gears to maintain our cadence. I often think of that class when I hear people griping about a cyclist on the open road vs on a path “ where they belong”. I still ride the way I was taught and detest bike paths for the reason Mr. Forrester stated, it is used by everyone other than cyclists. Too often I find myself trying to navigate people walking abreast of one another, dog walkers with retractable 20 foot leashes , joggers with ear buds that can’t hear you coming. Thank you Mr Forrester for bringing this type of cycling( vehicular cycling) to the forefront. Share the road, we belong, Joe
Old 04-24-20, 10:08 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
He certainly had been a strong personality who felt that he had a special license for truth. Certainly his aim was to advocate for the rights of cyclists, I got his book too, Yet, after encountering him on some bike forums, I could not get myself to read more than half a page or so of that book, better reading the personality coming through. I also evacuated myself away from one of forums, just because he was frequently posting authoritative statements there and public was buying the declarations coming from the heaven. He still has my respect - people can be of different mold - but with some I might not want to be in the same room.
Old 04-25-20, 03:38 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
RIP!

When I started serious biking in the 1970s, I was a big devotee of his position, although at that time did not know of him. At the time bike lanes forced you to the curb and even worse sometimes exposed riders to the drainage grates with slots parallel to the road which could catch a wheel and launch a rider like a cannon. We liked the OPTION of the lane, but did not want its use to be mandatory and be marginalized into the lane and have it become and easy excuse for driver negligence ; i.e., the bicyclist was in the main roadway and not THE BIKE LANE. What is often left off now is that the claim the lane idea also included that the cyclist in the lane was bound to and should fully obey the traffic laws.

However that was then, and this is now and drivers are far, far, far more inattentive and distracted by phone, GPS, radio and A/C button punching. To me the main problems of bike lanes was they did not allow for a safe left turn from the lane. Now I am older and stick to the MUPs or side roads, and my purpose is to return in one piece.
Old 04-25-20, 12:46 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Dont know much about him, but sad to loose "one of ours".

However the picture of his book raises questions. I guess I dont approve of a cyclist splitting lanes and riding between cars as the cover shows.
Old 04-25-20, 01:01 PM
Ken2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cover drawing

Originally Posted by rydabent
Dont know much about him, but sad to loose "one of ours".

However the picture of his book raises questions. I guess I dont approve of a cyclist splitting lanes and riding between cars as the cover shows.
Judging by the poles for streetlights in the cover drawing, the cars on the rider's right are PARKED at the curb. The rider appears to be allowing sufficient room to avoid dooring from the parked cars; he's not lane splitting.
Old 04-25-20, 04:18 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
RIP!

When I started serious biking in the 1970s, I was a big devotee of his position, although at that time did not know of him. At the time bike lanes forced you to the curb and even worse sometimes exposed riders to the drainage grates with slots parallel to the road which could catch a wheel and launch a rider like a cannon. We liked the OPTION of the lane, but did not want its use to be mandatory and be marginalized into the lane and have it become and easy excuse for driver negligence ; i.e., the bicyclist was in the main roadway and not THE BIKE LANE. What is often left off now is that the claim the lane idea also included that the cyclist in the lane was bound to and should fully obey the traffic laws.

However that was then, and this is now and drivers are far, far, far more inattentive and distracted by phone, GPS, radio and A/C button punching. To me the main problems of bike lanes was they did not allow for a safe left turn from the lane. Now I am older and stick to the MUPs or side roads, and my purpose is to return in one piece.
Decades ago I learned to NEVER ride in the door zone. Last summer I had a police officer pull me over to ask me why I was not riding in the painted bicycle lane. I told him it was a dangerous place to ride because of the chance of being hit by an opening car door, and being deflected into traffic as you crashed. I then showed him with his door just how far out a car door went when even partway opened. He told me to carry on as I was and that he never realized how bad those door zone bicycle lanes could be.

Forester was a real advocate of not riding in the door zone. I've never read his books but might have read an article by him in some bicycling magazine back in the early 1980s.

Cheers