Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Go Pro do you recommend?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 03:32 AM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

I know things are weird right now. Anyways my fb friends have said that like looking at my pics but would like videos so they feel they’re doing the ride with me. I would like to know what a good go pro would be. I don’t want to spend thousands. Is the cheapest one still good?

Im not sure what the differences are between silver and gold and all these different versions. And how do transfer the recordings to your phone?

See if I could just record it from my phone I wouldn’t have to worry about transferring. I think it would be cool to record some of my rides but at the same time I don’t want this to be too much of a chore. You have to somehow transfer it computer, phone and then make sure it’s always charged, etc..
Old 05-04-20, 07:09 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I bought a knock off for $79-ish. The video quality is ok, not good enough for Discovery channel but good enough for me.
The first time I put it on my bike, clamped to the handle bar, it fell off, and of course, right under the wheel. It scratched the case pretty good, but that was the extent of the damage.
If it was a $300+ GoPro i'd have been a lot more upset.
It depends on what you want to do with it, what you want from it, and how much you can stand too lose.
Good Luck.
Old 05-05-20, 08:45 AM
SlvrDragon50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
If you don't need motion stabilization, the GoPro 6 will be fine. Otherwise, Hero7 Black and Hero 8 black had massive improvements to stabilization.
Old 05-05-20, 08:49 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
See if I could just record it from my phone I wouldn’t have to worry about transferring. I think it would be cool to record some of my rides but at the same time I don’t want this to be too much of a chore. You have to somehow transfer it computer, phone and then make sure it’s always charged, etc..
Sounds like you have to first decide if video recording is something you want to do, before you go out and buy new hardware. Record with your phone first. See if you like doing video editing -- which is the actual biggest "chore" afterwards; the transferring is just the small bits. Then uploading. Then see if all that time and effort is worth it, and deciding if your phone is good enough for the job, or if something is lacking. Then seeing if a GoPro will in fact deal with the parts that your videos are lacking.
Old 05-05-20, 09:07 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Don’t its not worth the tine and effort. I have the original gopro for my bike rides and very seldom use it. At first i did and will get it out for events but wish I hadn’t spent the money at all. If you’re into this type of thing then its worth it but I just found it for me to be not worth it.
Old 05-06-20, 03:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
There are at least a dozen GoPro knockoffs on Amazon, ebay and elsewhere for well under $100. I have a VanTop Moment 4 that's not bad for around $50. HD, image stabilization, decent rear screen, easy to use, fair life per battery and it comes with two batteries. Weakness: mounts and the weatherproof case that's basically essential for proper mounting. Every mount cracked within a month of using them. But they're generic and easily replaceable.

But I needed a traffic/ride documentation camera that will run for hours without attention, not an action cam and most GoPros and knockoffs aren't well suited to that mundane task.

I switched to a pair of Drift Ghost X, front and rear. HD, 5 hour runtime per charge (with optional 8 hour battery pack), more streamlined than the boxy GoPros and knockoffs. Less than $100 each, usually available with discount code or coupon on Amazon.

Highly recommended for mundane ride/traffic documentation. I use 'em every ride on my road bike. For my hybrid I don't want to bother with swapping the mounts over, so I have a mount on one helmet and us it for hybrid casual cruises. But I don't like the extra weight on my head for road bike rides, so they're mounted to the stem and seat post.
Old 05-06-20, 06:39 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I switched to a pair of Drift Ghost X, front and rear. HD, 5 hour runtime per charge (with optional 8 hour battery pack), more streamlined than the boxy GoPros and knockoffs. Less than $100 each, usually available with discount code or coupon on Amazon.

Highly recommended for mundane ride/traffic documentation. I use 'em every ride on my road bike. For my hybrid I don't want to bother with swapping the mounts over, so I have a mount on one helmet and us it for hybrid casual cruises. But I don't like the extra weight on my head for road bike rides, so they're mounted to the stem and seat post.
How well does the Drift Ghost capture license plates? My Sony action cam has such a wide field of view that it's tough to read a plate unless I'm right behind a car stopped at a light.
Old 05-06-20, 06:46 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I'm in the market for a adventure camera also. What are some of the knock offs that you would recommend? Midlevel camera.
I want to use the camera to record my commute and share with friends. Not necessarily for professional use. Just for fun, reliable, no issues. I have tried recording with the cell phone, I want to do more handsfree and wide angle lens. What are your thoughts? Thank You
Old 05-06-20, 08:25 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Buy plenty of batteries too.
I was riding in Little Bighorn Battlefield Park and came upon a pack of horses beside road. They took off with me riding in the middle of the pack. Coolest riding experience I ever had. Later anxiously went to download to laptop to find battery died right before it happened.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 05-06-20, 08:27 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Buy plenty of batteries too.
I was riding in Little Bighorn Battlefield Park and came upon a pack of horses beside road. They took off with me riding in the middle of the pack. Coolest riding experience I ever had. Later anxiously went to download to laptop to find battery died right before it happened.
I really dislike the short battery life.
Old 05-06-20, 08:45 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I know the Cycliq cameras are much-maligned here, but I get 4-5 hours of battery out of my Fly12 CE, but more importantly, there is an audible sound every 10 minutes that tells me (approximately) how much battery life I have by the number of beeps. There is also a flashing light that turns from green to yellow to red as the battery drains. I think if you are like most people and want a "set and forget" camera, this is the one. Just get the right SD card, I think many people's problems with these cameras is a result of that one thing alone.

I am very tempted by some of the knockoffs, $100 for a basic front-facing HD bike camera, with 4-5 hour battery life sounds very reasonable. However, I have seen footage from a few of the knockoffs posted on Amazon, and the stuff I saw looked like a "party video" taken at a rave. Massive video artifacts and halos everywhere, it was a joke. Very trippy-looking, but not something you would want to use to document a crash in a personal injury lawsuit, or show to LE. These seem mainly for fun.

So until I actually see some footage, I will withhold judgment. And I realize that getting video footage posted here is a lot of work, so that may not happen soon. Also I am concerned about the lack of image stabilization, when I turn that off with my Cycliq, the video becomes pretty much unwatchable.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 05-06-20 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 08:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
How well does the Drift Ghost capture license plates? My Sony action cam has such a wide field of view that it's tough to read a plate unless I'm right behind a car stopped at a light.
I haven't found any HD video camera using a wide angle lens that reliably captures US license plates. That includes my digital still cameras in video mode.

It's as if our plates were deliberately designed to thwart surveillance. They're half the size of those used in other countries. Extremely reflective so they tend to blow out highlights in digital cameras with mediocre dynamic range at night. And Texas plates are often white, making it even worse.

And some states, including Texas, don't require front plates so a vehicle can plow into us from behind and leaving few or no means of identification. That's why I often half-way joke the easiest way to get away with murder in the US is to hit someone with a car and invoke the magic get out of jail free mantra: "I never saw the cyclist/pedestrian. He/she/it came out of nowhere."

The most I hope for is to capture a few recognizable characters from the plates, and identifying characteristics of the vehicle.
Old 05-06-20, 09:05 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I know the Cycliq cameras are much-maligned here, but I get 4-5 hours of battery out of my Fly12 CE, but more importantly, there is an audible sound every 10 minutes that tells me (approximately) how much battery life I have by the number of beeps. There is also a flashing light that turns from green to yellow to red as the battery drains. I think if you are like most people and want a "set and forget" camera, this is the one. Just get the right SD card, I think many people's problems with these cameras is a result of that one thing alone.

I am very tempted by some of the knockoffs, $100 for a basic front-facing HD bike camera, with 4-5 hour battery life sounds very reasonable. However, I have seen footage from a few of the knockoffs posted on Amazon, and the stuff I saw looked like a "party video" taken at a rave. Massive video artifacts and halos everywhere, it was a joke. Very trippy-looking, but not something you would want to use to document a crash in a personal injury lawsuit, or show to LE. These seem mainly for fun.

So until I actually see some footage, I will withhold judgment. And I realize that getting video footage posted here is a lot of work, so that may not happen soon. Also I am concerned about the lack of image stabilization, when I turn that off with my Cycliq, the video becomes pretty much unwatchable.
I really like my Fly12 and 6. But I don't use for videos. My rides are wherever I park my truck out on the road so I'm lost except for the bike routing loop made by Garmin or a place I pick on a map. Good to know may be video if things go south. Don't think I'd recommend for videos.

Old 05-06-20, 09:21 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The FBI and NSA have great software for extracting that type of information, should the need arise...
Old 05-06-20, 09:35 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Originally Posted by canklecat
I haven't found any HD video camera using a wide angle lens that reliably captures US license plates. That includes my digital still cameras in video mode.

It's as if our plates were deliberately designed to thwart surveillance. They're half the size of those used in other countries. Extremely reflective so they tend to blow out highlights in digital cameras with mediocre dynamic range at night. And Texas plates are often white, making it even worse.

And some states, including Texas, don't require front plates so a vehicle can plow into us from behind and leaving few or no means of identification. That's why I often half-way joke the easiest way to get away with murder in the US is to hit someone with a car and invoke the magic get out of jail free mantra: "I never saw the cyclist/pedestrian. He/she/it came out of nowhere."

The most I hope for is to capture a few recognizable characters from the plates, and identifying characteristics of the vehicle.
Probably OT, but I agree mostly. I may have pretty good percentages of picking out every plate character of passing vehicles in my video footage, but it's pretty hit and miss. There are some plates (paraphrasing "Cool Hand Luke") you just can't read. Maybe as many as 1/2 during the daytime, and virtually all of them at night go unrecorded. We are very much at the mercy of lighting conditions.

You just have to hope that the person who hits you, commutes on the road regularly and can be ID'ed that way. But still, a grainy picture of the "suspect vehicle", with no plate, is 100X better than just a vague memory, that may or may not be accurate. Here are some examples taken with my Fly12 CE, decent character recognition, but still not 100% perfect. I dunno whether 4k will solve that or not, my guess is "not".

Lots of faded plates out there, plus people use covers. Many people have no plates at all and no one bothers them. Fortunately, a plate number is not everything, doesn't even tell you who was driving the car, but it's a start.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 05-06-20 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 09:47 AM
SlvrDragon50

Experiment with your camera settings. Turn down the resolution and turn up the FPS. Mess around with the ISOs and shutter speed to minimize overexposure. You can also change FOV on a lot of these cameras. 178* FOV really not necessary.
Old 05-06-20, 10:06 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

I have settings for image stabilization, resolution, and FPS, that's about it. I'm at my max frame rate and max resolution, 1920x1080 at 60 frames per second. I could go down to 720p, but would have the same frames per second (60) so I don't see any advantage to that.

This could change the field of view though, so I might try that out, thanks.

FWIW, I read somewhere that these cameras have what sounds like a rattling ball inside them, because they actually shoot in 4k, but the bouncing ball controls image stabilization, and "tells" the camera where to crop off the edge of the picture, in each frame, so that it appears stable.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 05-06-20 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 03:14 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The FBI and NSA have great software for extracting that type of information, should the need arise...
I've had a hard enough time convincing the local PD to review my videos.
Old 05-06-20, 05:26 PM
SlvrDragon50

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I have settings for image stabilization, resolution, and FPS, that's about it. I'm at my max frame rate and max resolution, 1920x1080 at 60 frames per second. I could go down to 720p, but would have the same frames per second (60) so I don't see any advantage to that.

This could change the field of view though, so I might try that out, thanks.

FWIW, I read somewhere that these cameras have what sounds like a rattling ball inside them, because they actually shoot in 4k, but the bouncing ball controls image stabilization, and "tells" the camera where to crop off the edge of the picture, in each frame, so that it appears stable.
Gotcha. Yea that is what really separates the cheaper cameras from GoPro. Hypersmooth on GoPro was an absolute gamechanger and allowed for such smooth video processing.