Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A Comical Encounter

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A Comical Encounter

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 06:14 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
... and years later, they both sobered up, and are now the best of friends.

Old 05-13-20, 09:21 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/fit...lery&gallery=1

I'm guessing you were a three and he was around a seven. He didn't earn a scalp, but you didn't exactly defend, either. It was a draw, so with your fcn, you lost.
Pfffft. Velomobiles and recumbents aren't even on the list.

We should be worth more just because we're so rare.
Old 05-13-20, 10:56 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
... and years later, they both sobered up, and are now the best of friends.

lol, I was thinking the same thing as I read that. The day I met Lance Armstrong on the mup!
Old 05-13-20, 11:03 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
How many times have I been on rides thinking "I'll take it easy today", then someone passes me and then I think "It's on!".
I'm only 49, but I hope to God that when I turn 70, I can still do this. I fear getting older. I really do. But I read stories like this and I hope and pray I turn out nearly the same.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 05-13-20, 04:39 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Never underestimate folks. Someone can ride a clunker a be pushing years but he might have some racing background when young and then even if he left riding for some years and returned to it for fitness in later years, he can still surprise.

That behavior is weird but it happens, some folks don't like to socialize.

I think you can ride bike on decent level even past 70. Running never agreed with my knees but cross country skiing (even marathon distances) and biking no problem.
Old 05-13-20, 04:43 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
How many times have I been on rides thinking "I'll take it easy today", then someone passes me and then I think "It's on!".
I'm only 49, but I hope to God that when I turn 70, I can still do this. I fear getting older. I really do. But I read stories like this and I hope and pray I turn out nearly the same.
I'll be on the lookout for ya if Im ever riding in your location!
Old 05-13-20, 04:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Joke is on you. He let you win. Now he’s reading this thread and laughing his ass off over how he got into your head enough to post the OED of threads trying to make him look foolish. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-13-20 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-13-20, 06:49 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Pfffft. Velomobiles and recumbents aren't even on the list.

We should be worth more just because we're so rare.
When I'm on my bent, I score myself like a road bike - naked if I'm just carrying flat repair, touring if I'm carrying all my rando crap.

If I had a velo, I don't think I'd know how to score myself. In most situations it would be a pretty pointless game. You're either going to win big or lose big.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-13-20, 07:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
lol, I was thinking the same thing as I read that. The day I met Lance Armstrong on the mup!
One year Lance rode past me on an MUP the day before the U.S. pro road race championship in Philadelphia. I was tending to a mechanical. True story. Several years before I and a bunch of other rag tag locals rode behind the 7-11 team the day before the race. Late 80’s. They were spinning along and chatting at around 23 mph while we were hanging on for dear life.
Old 10-14-20, 05:56 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Joke is on you. He let you win. Now he’s reading this thread and laughing his ass off over how he got into your head enough to post the OED of threads trying to make him look foolish. Ask me how I know.
I think he took it personally. Yesterday I was riding the same path. Making a decent clip at about 17. As I often do, I looked behind me for any bikes approaching. Nothing. A few minutes later I looked again. As I did, an E-biker was blasting around and past me. This was a full suspension 29er. The rider was dressed in khakis and a safari kind of shirt and wearing a full face motorcycle helmet with a mirrored out shield. I nodded at the rider. The rider gave no response.

Several miles down the path I saw the E-biker stopped on the edge of the path. As I rode past, I again nodded politely and was again met with non-response. A few minutes later I saw the rider coming from behind. I thought to myself that his bike might have been a Class 1 or 2 Ebike. At this point I had a decent tail wind, so I spun it up to 21-22MPH. He was going to have to work to pass me. Or so I thought. He soon caught me and moved past me with ease. I nodded as he passed. The mirrored shield remained motionless and aimed steadily forward. As he settled in ahead of me I noticed a familiarity in the build, the clothing, the unique posture, the arms and the steely coldness.

IT WAS HIM!

That sucker was not going to be bettered by me again.

As a completely unrelated aside, does anyone know where there are any good deals on Class 3 E-Bikes?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 10-14-20, 08:06 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/fit...lery&gallery=1

I'm guessing you were a three and he was around a seven. He didn't earn a scalp, but you didn't exactly defend, either. It was a draw, so with your fcn, you lost.
Good to know I range from six to ten, depending on the bike. You learn something every day!

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 10-14-20 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-14-20, 09:43 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I pass "legs", he gives me a blank stare.

"Legs" passes me. Still no communications.

I pass "legs" again, then proceed to drop him like a sack of oats. Even if it kills me, down he goes.

"Legs" has nothing left to do but buy an e-bike. "Legs" is an annoying individual and he knows it.
Old 10-14-20, 10:22 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
I think the plot of this thread was plagiarized from a Roadrunner / Wiley Coyote cartoon. When do we get to rockets?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-14-20, 11:43 AM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard

As a completely unrelated aside, does anyone know where there are any good deals on Class 3 E-Bikes?
LOL, never give up position...I don't care how old the other rider is. Great story
Old 10-14-20, 12:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,628 Times in 2,916 Posts
When I used to bike commute on a MUP and wasn’t feeling too energetic, I would dog it waiting for a faster cyclist to pass and then grab their wheel for a draft. Other days I would be going at 80%, feeling good, and a guy would pass me going just a touch faster and I would grab his wheel for a bit and then pass them to see if I could get them to jump me. If they did, I would grab their wheel again for a fast pull while I went back to my 80% and enjoy the ride until they turned off or blew up. Learned that riding a fixie during track classes at my local velodrome.

Old 10-14-20, 01:53 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

I’ve had a sorta similar response from another rider. This rider goes really fast in aero position out and back on the city/county MUP that connects to the state park rail trail.

On occasion I see him coming out when I’m heading back into town from a ride on the state trail. So, he’ll typically catch up and pass me on his return before I pull off the city trail at the feeder trail heading back to my house.

We both use that feeder route, so sometimes I end up almost catching back up because he seems to slow way down on the feeder route, presumably as a cool down, to a rate even slower than I was riding when he passed.

He must regard me catching back up at this point as some sort of a challenge, because as soon as I get in his vicinity, he takes off again at high speed for the last mile or so to the end of the feeder trail. I don’t think I’m imagining this because he has done exactly the same thing each time and not at a specific spot, but at the moment I get near, which varies of course.

No big deal, but, yeah, people are interesting!

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 10-14-20 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 02:22 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by ofajen
I’ve had a sorta similar response from another rider. This rider goes really fast in aero position out and back on the city/county MUP that connects to the state park rail trail.

On occasion I see him coming out when I’m heading back into town from a ride on the state trail. So, he’ll typically catch up and pass me on his return before I pull off the city trail at the feeder trail heading back to my house.

We both use that feeder route, so sometimes I end up almost catching back up because he seems to slow way down on the feeder route, presumably as a cool down, to a rate even slower than I was riding when he passed.

He must regard me catching back up at this point as some sort of a challenge, because as soon as I get in his vicinity, he takes off again at high speed for the last mile or so to the end of the feeder trail. I don’t think I’m imagining this because he has done exactly the same thing each time and not at a specific spot, but at the moment I get near, which varies of course.

Otto

These encounters make the rides a little less monotonous.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 10-14-20, 07:00 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Dude, you were 100% in the wrong there.

You should have droped the hamer right off the bat and opened such a gap that it crushed his will to compete. Anything less is a lack of competetive spirit. Being old is no excuse - he could train harder if he wanted to. The MUP's are no place for the half hearted. Eye of the Tiger... Eye of the Tiger

No kOM's awarded for this effort.
A true roadie would've let him pass, get on his wheel and keep there even if he slowed down, and outsprint him at the last 100 meters.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 10-14-20, 07:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I bet he had a hidden motor.
Old 10-14-20, 07:22 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
These encounters make the rides a little less monotonous.

Agreed.

Otto
Old 10-14-20, 08:27 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by BNSF
In my mind, I am picturing Dennis Weaver and a noisy, smoky, rusty old tanker truck.
That sounds like a Dual to me.
Old 10-15-20, 06:14 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Why didn't you match speeds and talk a bit?

Maybe he was looking for a riding buddy, you guys seem fairly well matched, not a race.
Old 10-15-20, 06:21 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
When two sufferers of Dogncar Syndrome meet on a cycle path...
Old 10-15-20, 09:10 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Why didn't you match speeds and talk a bit?
This is from the OP.

As I got beside him, I said "it's a gorgeous afternoon for a ride huh?" Stone faced, he continued to glare forward without so much as an acknowledgement. No nod, no smile, no glance over, nothing.
Old 10-16-20, 06:05 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen

Otto
maybe they're afraid that you'll waive & they'll think you'll expect a gesture in return. The fear might be brought on by the thought of possibly crashing from the lack of grip. When in reality, they don't know that the hard pull is testing the weak cardio valving each time.

Different strokes for different folks.
YMMV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.