Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best handlebar mount for iPhone?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-20, 02:36 PM
sultanofsuede

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I tried to find another thread on this (as to not duplicate), but had no luck.

Wondering what the road cycling community says about the best mount to use my iphone as my computer. When I say 'best', I'm referring to look/design, location on the bars, functionality/ease of view, aero design (if that's a thing), any other factors that would make on of them the 'best'.

I've decided to stick with the iphone instead of moving to a wahoo style unit (for now), so just want something that is sharp and works great.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-20, 03:43 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
In my experience, there is the Quad lock, and there is everything else. I had a hard time spending that kind of dough to hold a phone, but after looking at dozens of other phone holders, I picked one up and have not regretted it. Pretty good looking and I have no concern whatsoever that I'll lose the phone. I started with the stem mount and later got the out front mount.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-04-20, 04:16 PM
powermatt99

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I've tried a few but landed at the Quad Lock as well. I use the out front mount. Very satisfied with this product.
Likes For powermatt99:
Old 06-05-20, 08:39 AM
SafetyThird

Bikes: Trek 6000, Titanflex

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I ummm'd and ahhhh'd for a while before throwing the money at quad lock. Once you've got one, you'll know why everyone does. It's a brilliant design and absolutely rock solid. I first found out about them because someone I follow on instagram is riding round the world on a motorbike. She has two phone mounts on her bike bars for navigation and comms and even after riding off road across Africa, they still stay solidly in place. If they can stand up to that punishment they'll be fine on a bicycle. I now have a mount on each bike and one in the car and I'm getting one for the motorbike when I'm riding it more regularly again.
Old 06-05-20, 08:54 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
In my experience, there is the Quad lock, and there is everything else. I had a hard time spending that kind of dough to hold a phone, but after looking at dozens of other phone holders, I picked one up and have not regretted it. Pretty good looking and I have no concern whatsoever that I'll lose the phone. I started with the stem mount and later got the out front mount.
+1 Quad lock is the only one I would trust

I keep mine in my jersey, or in a hydration pack when commuting/mountain biking.
Old 06-05-20, 09:22 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I'm a devout RAM mount system kind of guy. I have never lost anything or had it damaged while using Rams. I have a cradle for my GPS, a cradle for my Iphone, and a universal X mount for other gadgets. I have 2 balls on each of my bikes so all I have to do is plug and play. Rams used to be a lot less expensive than they are now, but if you care about your gear, it can;t be beat. Also, it's a snap to pop out your phone when you want to run into a store or whatever. My 2 centavos and I have no vested interest in this company.
Old 06-05-20, 10:35 AM
sultanofsuede

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
this is exactly what i was hoping to find. thanks everyone! was leaning toward the quad, but i'll take a look at that ram too.
Old 06-06-20, 01:20 AM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Suit yourself, but I think this is a better idea:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WHEEL-UP-Bi...6/122531236650

I prefer it because it doesn't just hold my iPhone. It also holds my Anker PowerCore charger (which extends my iPhone's usable battery life by days, literally), plus my garage door opener, and my car key, and my office badge/keycard when I commute, and an energy bar, and a chap-stick, and an extra nose rag.

It keeps my phone safe and dry. I don't have any trouble seeing the display, or working the touch-screen.

And it only costs ~$15, including shipping.

Downside? It doesn't fit all the largest and newest phones models, though it does hold my iPhone 8 just fine or my iPhone SE even better.
Old 06-06-20, 04:49 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BritishV8
Suit yourself, but I think this is a better idea:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WHEEL-UP-Bi...6/122531236650

I prefer it because it doesn't just hold my iPhone. It also holds my Anker PowerCore charger (which extends my iPhone's usable battery life by days, literally), plus my garage door opener, and my car key, and my office badge/keycard when I commute, and an energy bar, and a chap-stick, and an extra nose rag.

It keeps my phone safe and dry. I don't have any trouble seeing the display, or working the touch-screen.

And it only costs ~$15, including shipping.

Downside? It doesn't fit all the largest and newest phones models, though it does hold my iPhone 8 just fine or my iPhone SE even better.
bulky isn’t it?
Old 06-06-20, 06:00 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
30 bucks for a quad lock? From the posts, I thought it must be near $100. 30 bucks sounds like a bargain for what it is! A K-edge garmin mount will set you back $50-60.
Old 06-06-20, 11:41 AM
Ogsarg

Originally Posted by Bigbus
I'm a devout RAM mount system kind of guy. I have never lost anything or had it damaged while using Rams. I have a cradle for my GPS, a cradle for my Iphone, and a universal X mount for other gadgets. I have 2 balls on each of my bikes so all I have to do is plug and play. Rams used to be a lot less expensive than they are now, but if you care about your gear, it can;t be beat. Also, it's a snap to pop out your phone when you want to run into a store or whatever. My 2 centavos and I have no vested interest in this company.
Ram does make great stuff. That is what I used on my motorcycles but find it on the heavy side for the bike and not near as sleek looking as the Quadlock. Not sure how they compare cost wise, but would imagine that piecing together the Ram bits you need, it's similar.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-06-20, 04:05 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Quad Lock. Nothing else is close.
Old 06-06-20, 04:12 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
30 bucks for a quad lock? From the posts, I thought it must be near $100. 30 bucks sounds like a bargain for what it is! A K-edge garmin mount will set you back $50-60.
That would be nice, but no. Got to have the case for your phone as well as the mount. $60 for everything you need.
Old 06-07-20, 01:19 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
That would be nice, but no. Got to have the case for your phone as well as the mount. $60 for everything you need.
How much are the cases? Thinking in terms of how much outlay it’ll be when my current iPhone Xr needs replacement with an inevitably slightly different sized handset.

Also, of all the bike mount questions here, how do people find their in-car mounts? Does the suction cup work? And the dash mount?
Old 06-07-20, 02:22 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Leinster
How much are the cases? Thinking in terms of how much outlay it’ll be when my current iPhone Xr needs replacement with an inevitably slightly different sized handset.

Also, of all the bike mount questions here, how do people find their in-car mounts? Does the suction cup work? And the dash mount?
Ram windshield suction mount uses the same 1" ball as all their other mounts. I have one, but don't use it because I mounted a ball on the front of my console for the GPS and just aim the screen up towards me.
Old 06-08-20, 02:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Delta phone caddy if you want better protection on the bike but don't need a phone case off the bike. I used one for my old iPhone 4s for awhile. It's a bit bulky but no worse than a phone in a protective case plus a Quad Lock or similar mount. I liked the Delta because I preferred the iPhone without a case in my pocket, although I also had a Mophie Juice Pack Air, a nifty combo protective case/battery extender. I'm hoping Mophie makes one for the new iPhone SE, which I'll probably get even though I switched to Android a few years ago. Just kinda curious about the 2020 version of the SE.
Old 06-08-20, 09:58 AM
sultanofsuede

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
ok - quick follow up question. does your phone to zapped by the sun on hot ride days? seems like it could overheat with direct sunlight for a couple hours.
Old 06-08-20, 10:30 AM
Ogsarg

Originally Posted by sultanofsuede
ok - quick follow up question. does your phone to zapped by the sun on hot ride days? seems like it could overheat with direct sunlight for a couple hours.
Has never been an issue for me although I don't run with the screen on constantly.
Old 06-08-20, 05:02 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
when mine was moinyed it was never an issue. Constant wind flow kept it cool.
Old 06-08-20, 05:05 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Now here is a question for those with the quad. Do you find the non-flat surface of the case to be annoying?

this is one reason why I did not go this route.
Old 06-08-20, 06:58 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Before I became a Ram devotee I used a bar bag that had a separate compartment on top with a clear plastic window so you could see your phone while riding. I was up in the mountains building trail and there wasn't any shade and sure enough, it cooked the phone (Iphone 6 at the time). Fortunately, when it cooled down it came back to life. I threw the bag in a locker and ordered Ram gear for all the patrol bikes. That's my personal experience for what it's worth.
Old 06-08-20, 07:23 PM
Ogsarg

Originally Posted by spelger
Now here is a question for those with the quad. Do you find the non-flat surface of the case to be annoying?

this is one reason why I did not go this route.
I was worried about that as well. I really dislike bulky cases. The case is actually very form fitting and the bulge for the lock is roughly 1/8" tall and it's in the center so setting it down it sits flat. I can use it with a wireless charger without any issues and I have a small universal phone holder that I take on work trips and it works fine with that also.
Old 06-08-20, 10:05 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
I love my Quad Lock so much I put it on 3 of my bikes. I pop my phone in the special case whenever I ride, I don’t use the case otherwise. It’s hands down the best solution to hold your phone on the bike.
Old 06-09-20, 10:24 AM
jbasirico
Mitochondriac

Bikes: Fezzari Empire SL, BMC Roadmachine 03

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I just got an adhesive garmin-style mount and put it on a phone case. I've never had a problem with the adhesive. But I don't ride with a phone or computer out front most of the time because it's hard to see an iPhone screen in bright sun with shades on.
Old 06-09-20, 06:58 PM
sultanofsuede

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
OK - one last follow up question (i promise!). did you guys buy the option rain cover? any experience with that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.