Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear hub or cassette problem?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-20, 09:55 AM
Bradders

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone
First time post, long time lurker etc etc.
I have a Merida CX 300 and love it. I'm not great with the mechanical stuff but am improving - bought the Zinn book on bike maintenance and it's really helpful!
I took the back wheel off the other day to clean out the cassette and chain; the cassette was full of 12 months of gunk and all seemed ok when done. Taking the bike out for a quick spin afterwards however, I can now hear a kind of gritty rattling noise when freewheeling. Sounds like it's coming from the cassette/hub area. It disappears completely when pedaling.
I used some degreaser when cleaning the cassette but washed this off with water, now I am unsure what the problem might be.
Apologies if this post is lacking key info, and thanks in advance for your great advice!
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-11-20, 10:08 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
It may be time for an overhaul. When washing the hub you may have gotten water into the freehub. The seals on bikes are dust seals and not capable to keep water under pressure out.
Old 06-11-20, 10:12 AM
Bradders

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply Davidad!
I think it's quite likely that some water might have gotten in there.
When you say overhaul - is this something I can safely attempt to do myself (and learn for future) or ask the lovely guys at the LBS for their help?
Old 06-11-20, 03:27 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
You might take the wheel off, lay it on its side cassette side up and dribble some oil on the cassette body between where the bod is stationary and where it turns. That might get rid of the noise. Unless you've driven grit into the freehub itself.

Taking apart a freehub is not something to do if you don't have much experience working on bikes. Most people will just replace the freehub.

Cheers