Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How important is a torque wrench?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How important is a torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 09:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
Not very for bottom brackets. I have never had a problem where you the issue is getting things, like BB cups, that need to be tight, tight enough. When the issue is making sure you don’t get things too tight (e.g. seat post and stem clamps around carbon posts and bars) a torque wrench is useful. But even then going by feel rarely causes a problem unless you get carried away.
I would say very for some bottom brackets. If the bottom bracket is external or splined, a torque wrench really isn't needed. If the bottom bracket is square taper, you are just asking for trouble if you do it by "feel". I seen tons of hogged out square tapers caused by loose crank arm bolts because someone couldn't be bother to get a torque wrench.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-13-20, 12:09 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Bikes: Kona JTS, Norco Sasquatch 07(had), Giant Fastroad SLR 17(had)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
What not just get a torque wrench and use it? It is useful for everything else as well. I personally own five, all different types for different uses.
yah, for peace of mind I have one for my lug nuts. and found one on discount. dont have to spend too much for it.

also, get a extended ball tip bits while at it, real handy.
Old 06-13-20, 02:14 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Really important for carbon components. No so much for steel or alu ones.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 06-13-20, 04:13 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I suggest getting eventually a digital torque adapter, rather than a full wrench, e.g., Performance Tool M206.
Read the 1 star reviews, they are telling. If a torque wrench is needed get a good torque wrench.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 06-13-20, 04:22 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

Originally Posted by GeneO
Read the 1 star reviews, they are telling. If a torque wrench is needed get a good torque wrench.
Tho sometimes 1 star could due to misuse. Lots of purchase is for automotive use, but they bought the cheaper one thinking it would do the same job....

But they end up buying the lb-in wrench which isnt for common automotive purpose. They wanted lb-ft
Old 06-13-20, 04:28 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by jma1st3r
Tho sometimes 1 star could due to misuse. Lots of purchase is for automotive use, but they bought the cheaper one thinking it would do the same job....

But they end up buying the lb-in wrench which isnt for common automotive purpose. They wanted lb-ft
The one star reviews have nothing to do with what you are suggesting - they are about the quality and accuracy of the device. It does not replace a good mechanical wrench.
Old 06-13-20, 04:31 PM
jma1st3r
Scrubby duff

The one star reviews have nothing to do with what you are suggesting - they are about the quality and accuracy of the device. It does not replace a good mechanical wrench.
I read some of the reviews before I bought mine, some were complaining the wrench never clicked when working on their car. When clearly what they were working on exceeded what its designed for. (check wrench rating folks)

I didn't say all, I said sometimes. There are bad wrenches and poor makes, I understand that fact.

*oh! You meant the 1 star for that specific item. I thought you meant generally speaking...

Last edited by jma1st3r; 06-13-20 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 05:07 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
When you read these 1-star reviews carefully, you may notice that they refer to mechanical devices, not a digital one. Amazon offers a variety of torque instruments there and unfortunately lumps the reviews together. You can find an overview of the digital adapters that are currently available here. I own M206 and it gives readings consistent a mechanical and reputable torque wrench I have. However, the digital device is so much easier to use - I do not think I will be going ever back to the mechanical one in everyday life.
Old 06-13-20, 05:25 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by 2_i
When you read these 1-star reviews carefully, you may notice that they refer to mechanical devices, not a digital one. Amazon offers a variety of torque instruments there and unfortunately lumps the reviews together. You can find an overview of the digital adapters that are currently available here. I own M206 and it gives readings consistent a mechanical and reputable torque wrench I have. However, the digital device is so much easier to use - I do not think I will be going ever back to the mechanical one in everyday life.
Hah, you are right. I did not catch that even though I am aware of how Amazon lumps together reviews for related products.
Old 06-13-20, 08:03 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The torque spec for bottom brackets and for crank arm fixing bolts is generally around 30 ft/lbs. Imaging a 30 pound weight hanging off the end of a foot long wrench.

30 ft/lbs is more than I would probably use if left to my own judgement but less than what I'm capable of. It's definitely more than I'd use if I were tightening a crank arm with a folding Allen key set.
Old 06-13-20, 08:28 PM
GeneO 

Could look into a beam type. That is what I currently use for larger torques like BB, and hubs, cassettes, rotors.
Old 06-13-20, 08:30 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Imaging a 30 pound weight hanging off the end of a foot long wrench.
You would be surprised how much people misjudge weight. I work in a factory where the workers are not supposed to lift anything less than 25 pounds by themselves, and Anything over fifty pounds needs lifting devices (hoist, crane, etc.).

We routinely find people lifting things that are 40-50 pounds that they estimate to be below 25. Most people are really surprised how much something weighs when they actually put it on a scale. This is also why no fastener is installed without a torque spec and torque wrench or screwdriver.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 06-13-20, 09:03 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Many years of experience .. grasshopper..
"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." Mark Twain.
Old 06-13-20, 09:03 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
You would be surprised how much people misjudge weight. I work in a factory where the workers are not supposed to lift anything less than 25 pounds by themselves, and Anything over fifty pounds needs lifting devices (hoist, crane, etc.).

We routinely find people lifting things that are 40-50 pounds that they estimate to be below 25. Most people are really surprised how much something weighs when they actually put it on a scale.
I worked in a factory where much of my work was lifting items and holding them steady in the air. The obvious factor was exhaustion: The same item weighted differently at the start of the day than few hours in. Typical person working on a bike may be in a tad better situation as that work is not as physically exhausting as some activities at a factory.
Old 06-14-20, 04:00 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Obviously it IS impossible to gauge, by hand, how much torque you apply, but you have to ask yourself its really important to know in the first place. - Not very close seem to be close enough. - I mean, sure, you're not likely to hit 5 Nm or 40 Nm on the nose by hand, but its also not like you cant safely mount a bar or seat post or cassette without a torque wrench, unless you are a true ham fist. Im betting its less than 1% of bike mechanics that own or use a torque tool, but its not like all those bikes, put together by basic hand tools assplodes or fall apart "just because".

As mentioned before I would recommend using torque with carbon parts, but then again I would also advice using caution when picking the parts in the first place. For instance many stems are inherently not suitable for carbon sterrers or bars because the clamping surfaces are reduced to the bare minimum, ensuring you will leave clamping marks in the soft carbon no matter what you do.
Old 06-15-20, 03:25 PM
danh123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What kind of torque wrench would people recommend for most situations? I see there are some drivers set to 4, 5, or 6 nm, there is one driver that is adjustable, then there is a regular torque wrench and I guess you just change the heads on that and can make it a driver as well. They make those in 1/4, 1/2 etc.

What is the best choice?
Old 06-15-20, 05:33 PM
Ernie_13

Bikes: Trek SL1000 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Bianchi Oltre XR2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by danh123
What kind of torque wrench would people recommend for most situations? I see there are some drivers set to 4, 5, or 6 nm, there is one driver that is adjustable, then there is a regular torque wrench and I guess you just change the heads on that and can make it a driver as well. They make those in 1/4, 1/2 etc.

What is the best choice?
I got myself adjustable torque wrench. They are pretty cheap and cover most of the situations on your bike. Mine goes from 2Nm to 20Nm and you can change bits as you want. It is 1/4. 1/4" is for all small parts, all bolts on bike. 1/2" is for torquing bottom bracket and rather larger jobs.
My result: Most useful is 1/4" adjustable torque 2Nm-20Nm
Likes For Ernie_13:
Old 06-15-20, 06:32 PM
2_i 

You can break a 1/4" drive by hand - it is like a relatively thin bolt. Considering that you might be interested in higher torques for larger bolts, I would go with a higher drive and use a coupler to go down. I also totally recommend a digital device. You can use it to answer various kind of questions, like how much torque can my fingers apply to a thumb screw, etc.
Old 06-15-20, 06:53 PM
Fissile

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
When I was high school stupident taking auto shop class, I asked my shop teacher how much torque I should put some some particular fastener. His reply: "1/4 turn before snap." Words to live by.
Old 06-15-20, 07:00 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by Fissile
When I was high school stupident taking auto shop class, I asked my shop teacher how much torque I should put some some particular fastener. His reply: "1/4 turn before snap." Words to live by.
Bet he never worked on a Carbon bike.
Old 06-15-20, 08:44 PM
Aiden white

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
I've decided to replace my BB myself.I don't have a torque wrench and have never used one and don't want to spend the money on one.Anyone have some hints on how to tighten the BB by feel?
if it is carbon get a torque wrench but if it is metal you will probably be fine
Old 06-16-20, 07:16 AM
Fissile

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Bet he never worked on a Carbon bike.
It was 1980, cars were made of metal...bikes too. In those days all kinds of stuff was made of metal....refrigerators, airplanes, even guns were made of metal. Now get off my lawn.
Old 06-16-20, 08:58 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Always torque.

But for bicycles you need 2 tourque wrenches. One for up to about 20 nm, and one for the larger ones, over 40 nm.

Note you need one that measures clock and counterclock wise for BB. Only the good tourque wrenches measure both ways. I have a bad one that only works one way and have to eyeball the other BB cup. Maybe time to buy a better one.....
Old 06-16-20, 09:22 AM
Schmalejandreau

Bikes: Specialized Chisel 2019 – custom build

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just my fifteen cents. A torque wrench has a service-culture dimension to it. Using one is professional, clean and the proper way to go. But then, it is an investment. These things do not last forever I hear, and at least the type that I have needs to be unwound after each use, so the spring does not retain the stress. I use it for all sensitive spots where the bolts can be easily ruined: the seat-post collar and around the stem. Oh, and the Shimano pinch bolts! That one is critical. The BB and my GXP crank are just fine tightened to about as tight as I can go.

"I have always done without a torque wrench and I have never had any issues" is not going to help you, should you encounter an issue.
Old 06-16-20, 03:31 PM
Ernie_13

Bikes: Trek SL1000 Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Bianchi Oltre XR2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2_i
You can break a 1/4" drive by hand - it is like a relatively thin bolt. Considering that you might be interested in higher torques for larger bolts, I would go with a higher drive and use a coupler to go down. I also totally recommend a digital device. You can use it to answer various kind of questions, like how much torque can my fingers apply to a thumb screw, etc.
I have couple of 1/4" wrenches (even cheap brands) and never snapped it. Same case with my torque one. And more importantly, when come to torque wrench with 1/4" - it is designed for torques up to around 20Nm - that would never snap it (unless some no name eBay tool). Using large 1/2" torque wrench is not too handy for bike, since it is larger and heavier and I really can´t think where you need on bike such a larger torque - except BB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.