Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Go from 26T to 24T or 22T

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 06-14-20, 12:03 PM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

At the end of a ride today my crank arm came off & the threads are damaged. It is a set of SRAM GXP 2x10 cranks bought used I put on a 2010 Niner Jet 9 9 years ago, they are pretty banged up so I'm just going to replace the entire crank set & bottom bracket. The current set has 26T & 39T w 175mm arms.

My options for a new set of SRAM GX1000 cranks with 175 mm arms are 24~38 or 22~36, not sure which to choose. While I'm looking forward to a bit easier gearing I hold my own on the trails I ride as is. Anything really steep trails I use my Santa Fe 5010 that is geared much lower than the Niner. Thinking the 24T option is the best, lower gearing without going to low. Assume a 2T reduction will make a good bit of difference. The only reason to consider the 22~36 option is I'm almost 63, I'll be riding this bike into my 70's. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 06-14-20, 12:27 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by huffman
At the end of a ride today my crank arm came off & the threads are damaged. It is a set of SRAM GXP 2x10 cranks bought used I put on a 2010 Niner Jet 9 9 years ago, they are pretty banged up so I'm just going to replace the entire crank set & bottom bracket. The current set has 26T & 39T w 175mm arms.

My options for a new set of SRAM GX1000 cranks with 175 mm arms are 24~38 or 22~36, not sure which to choose. While I'm looking forward to a bit easier gearing I hold my own on the trails I ride as is. Anything really steep trails I use my Santa Fe 5010 that is geared much lower than the Niner. Thinking the 24T option is the best, lower gearing without going to low. Assume a 2T reduction will make a good bit of difference. The only reason to consider the 22~36 option is I'm almost 63, I'll be riding this bike into my 70's. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
It's difficult to answer your question. There's a different answer for every person.

You should have an idea of what you are expecting to climb with the bike, how strong you are, and what gear range you need.

I suggest you use a calculator like https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/ to help you decide which is the optimal gearing for you and the area you want to ride.

I prefer to err on the side of caution and have lower gearing available for when I need, even at the expense of top speed.