Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New bike, return to cycling, have questions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 02:22 AM
JakeNY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I bought a Cannondale Topstone 105 aluminum and am enjoying it. I had/have a Raleigh SC40, so the Topstone was s big jump for me- especially at 57 years of age. My legs are strong, my ambition stronger, my heart not so great, terrible vision, and I am an ambitious hiker as well.
i thought a gravel bike would get me on trails and the bike trails and I am pleased with 50-60 mi. On the bike so far. I don’t like the 700/37c knobby tires on the tarmac trails and want to go to a more appropriate tire. I’m thinking about a second wheel setup with 30mm wheels maybe. Carbon is too expensive (after all I just bought the bike, helmet, and lights) but I have no budget range- I’ll have to find the value and just go for it. In admitted vanity I do like the big lettering on the wheels- never had that on my Fuji sports 10 I bought in 1977 and put tremendous miles on it.
i was also thinking of getting the Wahoo Element cycle meter package with the heart monitor, and cadence sensors to track and help me designate and reach some reasonable goals. My iPhone 11, of course, has GPS.
Finally, I was thinking I should ride with some spare tubes and a pump, but need help deciding on those; I’ll also probably get a saddle bag to hold my phone and those replacement tubes- unless I go tubeless- and whatever tools I should carry.
The LBS stores here are just pushing you into whatever they have in inventory, and I’m not riding around. With their name on my water bottle, saddlebag, or anything else (It’s tacky, and not as cool as Zipp, Hunt, Mavic, etc. on the sides of the rims).
My bike came with WTB Riddler TCS Light, 700 x 37c, tubeless ready tires, and WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h, tubeless ready wheels.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-15-20, 04:29 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
First, I'll recommend the Wahoo Elemnt or Roam if you do get a bike computer. I got tired of running the battery down on my phone on long rides, tried Garmin, loved Wahoo.

Tires: depends on the type of gravel riding you do, if is mainly fine crushed limestone or hard packed dirt, look at the treaded tires that have a solid center contact patch if you want to stick with one set of wheels. Schwalbe Marathon 32mm is what I use.

It is very rare that I'm biking on "real" gravel where the 40mm gravel tires that came with, but I put them back on since I am mostly using the gravel bike (Jamis Renegade) on crushed limestone rail trails and dirt roads/paths and they are way more comfortable! I have a separate road bike for road riding, but I use the Renegade with the Schwalbe's for touring and riding on mixed surfaces.

I decided against running tubeless - many swear by it but to me it only makes sense for mountain biking. Running tubeless, I'd still have to carry everything I carry just in case I got a big gash and I'd have way more regular maintenance. Many swear by them, though.

I always carried a frame pump, a few years ago joined the CO2 cannister crowd. So far CO2 has warded off all flats while I'm riding! A tube, the inflator, 2 canniserts and tire tools fits in my saddle bag nicely.

Last edited by jpescatore; 06-15-20 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-15-20, 05:13 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
By all means you should be carrying a mini-pump, tube and tire levers on your longer rides as a bare minimum.

A second set of wheels would be nice but at this juncture but I would wait. It is an expense that is a luxury and you might be better served by accumulating some riding knowledge before such a purchase. You might be better off with a different tire. I am sorry I have to disagree with the recommendation for Schwalbe Marathons. I loved that tire for commuting because of the flat protection but they ride like bricks. Super stiff sidewalls and protective plies makes it a horrible ride. I own this tire and have used this tire lots but I wouldn't ride it outside of glass strewn streets. A soft supple tire will change the ride and feel of that bike. I sound like a broken record but Compass tires will change the feel of that bike.

If you went with one set of tires and wheels the width is what will be next question. That is personal preference usually derived by trial and error.

Getting a computer with heart rate monitor is also an extravagance but one that is a lot of fun. Plus you can track your metrics.

Bottom line, you don't have to purchase everything now. Take your time research what you need and go from there. Though tires and tools should be first.
Old 06-15-20, 06:27 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Continental GP 5000 tubeless works really well on paved surfaces. 700×32mm is what I use with WTB ST i23 rims.
Old 06-15-20, 05:28 PM
JakeNY

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
What about Gravel King SS tires?
Pump suggestion?
Old 06-15-20, 05:44 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeNY
I bought a Cannondale Topstone 105 aluminum and am enjoying it. I had/have a Raleigh SC40, so the Topstone was s big jump for me- especially at 57 years of age. My legs are strong, my ambition stronger, my heart not so great, terrible vision, and I am an ambitious hiker as well.
i thought a gravel bike would get me on trails and the bike trails and I am pleased with 50-60 mi. On the bike so far. I don’t like the 700/37c knobby tires on the tarmac trails and want to go to a more appropriate tire. I’m thinking about a second wheel setup with 30mm wheels maybe. Carbon is too expensive (after all I just bought the bike, helmet, and lights) but I have no budget range- I’ll have to find the value and just go for it. In admitted vanity I do like the big lettering on the wheels- never had that on my Fuji sports 10 I bought in 1977 and put tremendous miles on it.
i was also thinking of getting the Wahoo Element cycle meter package with the heart monitor, and cadence sensors to track and help me designate and reach some reasonable goals. My iPhone 11, of course, has GPS.
Finally, I was thinking I should ride with some spare tubes and a pump, but need help deciding on those; I’ll also probably get a saddle bag to hold my phone and those replacement tubes- unless I go tubeless- and whatever tools I should carry.
The LBS stores here are just pushing you into whatever they have in inventory, and I’m not riding around. With their name on my water bottle, saddlebag, or anything else (It’s tacky, and not as cool as Zipp, Hunt, Mavic, etc. on the sides of the rims).
My bike came with WTB Riddler TCS Light, 700 x 37c, tubeless ready tires, and WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h, tubeless ready wheels.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Those Riddler tires are great. I raced most of last fall's CX season on those tires. Great for hard pack and dry grass. If your wheels are tubeless ready, I would just convert them. I've done non-tubeless ready rims with Stans and Gorilla tape, and the valve stems. Regardless, you need a means of fixing a flat whether you have tubes or not.
Old 06-16-20, 01:57 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Pump

Top Peak mini morph.