Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cross chaining

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 06:46 AM
Runngun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cross chaining

I have a new 2019 Giant Roam 3 with the 3x8 drive train. I have osteoarthritis in my left thumb and find the left shifter difficult to manipulate. There’s a shifter upgrade in the future. In the meantime am I wearing my components prematurely by staying on the center chain ring and using the cassette across all 8 gears?
Old 06-16-20, 06:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Runngun
I have a new 2019 Giant Roam 3 with the 3x8 drive train. I have osteoarthritis in my left thumb and find the left shifter difficult to manipulate. There’s a shifter upgrade in the future. In the meantime am I wearing my components prematurely by staying on the center chain ring and using the cassette across all 8 gears?

No, and even if you are, they're components (chain and cassette) that need to be replaced on a fairly regular basis anyway. At most, you're probably taking a couple hundred miles off of their lifespan. Being in the center, there just isn't that much crossing at the extremes.

If it comes down to a choice between wearing out a chain or wearing out your thumb, I think you know which one wins.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-16-20, 07:02 AM
Bertrand Boxest

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I love the new 2019 Giant Roam <3
Old 06-16-20, 07:46 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
The Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace chins cross chain much better than in the past. I've gone to mostly 1X for bikes here.
Old 06-16-20, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Old 06-16-20, 08:01 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I don't see any problems staying on the middle chainring except the front derailleur may get a bit sticky to operate the first couple times when you start using it again. Nothing a little use and perhaps cleaning/lubing won't cure.

Many bikes have a single chainring that will be very close to the middle of 3 with derailleur type drivetrains in regards to cross chaining. You may not need the largest and smallest cassette sprockets much anyway.

Its mostly using the big - big and small - small sprocket combos that might be a problem long term. But you can safely use them too on most bikes in a pinch. Just don't make it a habit of it.

I left my bike in the small - small combo inadvertently last week and when I stopped and looked at the chain and rear derailleur I thought it had malfunctioned. The chain was much looser then normal and the rear derailleur looked bad taking up all that chain. Which makes sense now that I think about it. But it still worked fine.
Old 06-16-20, 10:04 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
No. There are 1x drivetrains and then there are 1x1 drivetrains.

Don't worry. Use until the gears skip and replace all at one go. Which would be a long time.
Old 06-16-20, 11:52 AM
Runngun

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the input. I’ve done 99% of my riding on this bike with the center ring and will continue to do so without concern.
Old 06-16-20, 01:14 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
You really can't cross chain from the center chainring.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 06-16-20, 01:36 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Would a twist grip shift on the left work with your osteoarthritis? (~$9 at performance bike online) You could probably continue using the original brake lever, but if not, simple brake levers are also around $9-10 online. See what your local LBS would charge to install.

Last edited by BobbyG; 06-16-20 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 04:25 PM
Runngun

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Would a twist grip shift on the left work with your osteoarthritis? (~$9 at performance bike online) You could probably continue using the original brake lever, but if not, simple brake levers are also around $9-10 online. See what your local LBS would charge to install.
A twist shift will probably be added the next time it goes to the shop. I had one on my last bike.
Old 06-17-20, 08:12 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Converting to a 1x11 seems like a good option. Shifting would be all on the right.
Old 06-17-20, 08:53 AM
pullings

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Your fine.
FYI chainrings are first to go (and are a "consumable" anyway) if you do a lot of cross-chaining and you will be surprised at how many miles they will last.
The rear cassette not to much wear I have found.

I converted my Giant Defy to a 1X11 setup and never looked back. I'm not sure why, but narrow/wide 1X chainring seems to be holding up very well.....better that my old 2x setup (I never used the small ring).
Old 06-17-20, 09:07 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
A non-issue, even for people who use all three chainrings. It's never happened to me in the 21 years that I've been riding triple-chainring cranks.
Old 06-17-20, 09:58 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My short answer is that using the middle ring only isn't any worse than riding a 3 X 8 bike. Some people seem to talk like, if you cross chain even once, your bike is going to blow up and you are going die. The reality is that, if you cross chain A LOT, your chain won't last quite as long as it would do otherwise.

My other thought is what's the alternative? If you have a physical problem with your hand, your choices are to either do what you are doing or to not ride at all. If you wear out your components a tiny bit sooner than other riders, that's just part of the cost of riding with your malady.
Old 06-17-20, 12:55 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Yee Gods, can't anyone answer your question? You have no problem cross chaining on the newer bikes. It does cause the cassette and chain to wear a bit faster and you have to correct the front derailleur position but the motions are minimal and shouldn't bother your wrist much.