Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is there hope for this shifter? Shift cable stuck inside

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 09:18 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts

Long story short, this shifter was "shifted" without the head of cable being locked in the right position. Somehow, a low clicking noise made it seem as if it was installed correctly, but clearly it wasn't. Now the head is stuck inside. I tried many things, but as a result, the cable is now "reversed" : the free end comes out of the shifter by the hole throught which it was introduced.

I imagine this is not very clear. A picture might help to visualize a bit.

Is there any magic trick to free a cable stuck like this?
Old 06-17-20, 11:53 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny7
Long story short, this shifter was "shifted" without the head of cable being locked in the right position. Somehow, a low clicking noise made it seem as if it was installed correctly, but clearly it wasn't. Now the head is stuck inside. I tried many things, but as a result, the cable is now "reversed" : the free end comes out of the shifter by the hole throught which it was introduced.

I imagine this is not very clear. A picture might help to visualize a bit.

Is there any magic trick to free a cable stuck like this?
If you don't manage to free the cable, I'd disassemble the whole shifter and look to what's happening inside.

Be wary though... once I disassembled a SRAM X9 trigger and discovered that you needed 20 hands with newborn sized fingers to put it together with all the springs in place. I had an important ride the following day, and finally managed to make it work at 3AM.
Old 06-18-20, 06:05 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
No magic tricks. You'll need to disassemble. It looks like you're in a classic "make it or break it" scenario--you can't make it any worse by trying.

I take apart a couple of those a year, volunteering at a non-profit, and get at least 90% of them back together again working. (They call me the brifter whisperer.) The first time is tough, for sure--you need to wind the large shifter spring 1/4 turn without being able to touch it. Same with the brake lever spring. And there's a hidden key screw behind the small shifter lever. See if you can find a video tutorial.
Old 06-18-20, 11:15 AM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
Alright then... I'm pretty sure I saw a vid by RJ the BikeGuy. Time to learn something new.