Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can I get faster past 15mph?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can I get faster past 15mph?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20, 08:36 AM
mc2002tii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This might be a dumb question, but are you comparing to your friends on the same road segments? If not, your numbers might not be as different as you think. I also average about 14 mph outside because I have to deal with a lot of stop signs, turns, and moving over to let cars pass on narrow roads (and I swear no matter what direction you go in my area the wind is always in your face going uphill). I'm far from the strongest rider, but I can maintain 15-20 on a rolling straight road if I can actually find one.
Likes For mc2002tii:
Old 06-18-20, 08:36 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by TJtheWrecker
This reads like a poem! Haha. Which interval training program are you on?
I've been using FulGaz and writing about it and other things here
The FulGaz software has a beginner 12wk FTP program I'm trying.
It started as a critique of my trainer hardware and moved to other items.
Old 06-18-20, 08:39 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Intervals.
This. You have slow twitch, and fast twitch muscles. Long rides build your slow twitch (endurance). Hi intensity intervals (sprint, then recover, repeat) will build the fast twitch. Oversimplified, but generally accurate. Mix in some interval training with your current distance rides.
Old 06-18-20, 08:40 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Probably not going to work for everybody, but definitely worth a try!
Plus it's free.
Yeah, I had to make some changes to the cockpit to get a standing position that I could sustain, for one thing. I’m using touring bars on the MTB now and that works well. The extra bar height and closer reach means it almost feels like I’m running up the hill.

For seated climbing, I use the forward section of the touring bar that is about two inches ahead of the stem clamp. Roughly like climbing on the hoods of my drop bar bike but slightly higher and closer.

I’ve even used that experience as a cue to raise the bar height on my drop bars (a bunch) and it certainly hasn’t hurt my climbing pace.

Otto
Old 06-18-20, 08:44 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Thank you! As follow up:
  • Definitely nothing wrong with 14mph, I just want to be faster on the bike.Nothing wrong with that. I like to ride "fast" (for me), myself.
  • My current schedule is about 100 miles per week, with a couple of 20 mile rides in the week and longer on the weekends, mostly at easy pace. Sounds good.
  • As for the bike, I can look into different road wheelsets and geometry but for now I want to get best out of the diverge (just bought it). It's long and bit relaxed but no reason it should be slower than the hybrid (>10lbs heavier!) IMO some people focus far too much on the equipment, and not enough on the motor. There's nothing wrong with the Diverge or the wheels, that's not what's holding you back. Unless the fit is completely off.
  • Could it be my position on the bike is not getting the most power I was able to on the hybrid? Could be, IME it can take a while to get everything right on a new bike. Different positions can use different muscles and require different pedaling styles. In a more upright position, you were likely pushing down on the pedals more, while in a lower position you should have a rounder pedal stroke, which takes time to develop. You'll also use your glutes, lower back and core more in a lower position. If you have some more experienced friends, ask them to comment on your fit and position. Or, go back to the LBS where you bought the bike and ask for help, they might give you some pointers, and might offer fittings (which can cost $100 or more).
  • What interval training do you guys recommend? As I mentioned in my original post, I wouldn't recommend intervals yet. Get a solid base first. Repetitive motion injuries suck, and they can keep you off the bike, which totally derails your plans.
Comments above.
Old 06-18-20, 08:51 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Thank you! As follow up:
  • Definitely nothing wrong with 14mph, I just want to be faster on the bike.
  • My current schedule is about 100 miles per week, with a couple of 20 mile rides in the week and longer on the weekends, mostly at easy pace.
  • As for the bike, I can look into different road wheelsets and geometry but for now I want to get best out of the diverge (just bought it). It's long and bit relaxed but no reason it should be slower than the hybrid (>10lbs heavier!)
  • Could it be my position on the bike is not getting the most power I was able to on the hybrid?
  • What interval training do you guys recommend?
Your long rides should really not be an "easy" pace, make sure you are at least at a moderate pace for those. "Easy" is literally training yourself to be slow. And as others have stated, just incorporate intervals into the shorter rides. Two or three weeks of that and 15mph will seem very slow to you. There is probably nothing wrong with your bike.
Old 06-18-20, 09:24 AM
TJtheWrecker

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Comments above.
Definitely agree with all the points you made, especially about the bike being just fine, and improving the motor.

On the last point, how much of a base do you recommend I build before intervals? I've biked around 350-400 miles a month for the last 2 months.
Old 06-18-20, 10:12 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Gotta lift the weight if you wanna lift the weight.
I like to say "To ride faster you must ride faster."
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-18-20, 10:24 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
................If all of this sounds like a big change in your life, then you're right. You don't have to be a monk, but if you're really interested in going fast on a bike, for normal human beings it takes some commitment to get to 18+ mph avg on mixed terrain.
Very well said.

This is where using STRAVA or Map My Ride apps are very useful. You should have a training/ride log but even so I can look back at a ride i did last year, do the same now and bask in the improvement. On mixed terrain with a hilly emphasis I can see my personal progress over the last 6-7 months where my average speed is increased by almost 4 MPH. The two other things that make me happy, I've gone from dreading climbs to attacking them and last year I was constantly having to reposition myself on the bike, now I'm naturally finding my best riding position without squirming all over the place. But again it was time and pain to get there.
Old 06-18-20, 10:38 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Definitely agree with all the points you made, especially about the bike being just fine, and improving the motor.

On the last point, how much of a base do you recommend I build before intervals? I've biked around 350-400 miles a month for the last 2 months.
When you go on these 20 mile rides, can you do them without stopping?
Old 06-18-20, 11:33 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys.

As another perplexing piece - I used to have a cannondale adventure hybrid bike with upright position (well over 30lbs) and I was just as fast (If not faster) on that!

How does that make sense?
Bike weight really doesn't matter if you aren't accelerating or going up hills.

You just need to ride more, get stronger. Don't let it become a burden, just enjoy the ride and you will get stronger.

Big guys can fly. I used to average 20+ on level when I was at 6' 220#. But I've slowed with age, just a fact of nature.
Old 06-18-20, 11:34 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
What's wrong with riding 14mph average? Just enjoy the ride. Life isn't a race against the clock. You will get better over time if speed is that important to you.
Some people want to ride faster than 14 MPH. That's allowed. Why go slow if you can go fast?
Old 06-18-20, 11:50 AM
TJtheWrecker

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
When you go on these 20 mile rides, can you do them without stopping?
Yes, although usually I will take 4-5 min break in the middle. I have ridden without breaks as well!
Old 06-18-20, 12:17 PM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts

For me, I'd say 5000-ish mi, or about a year. I'm not an athlete, I'm just a very (very, very) ordinary schlub. I've had a repetitive motion injury from riding (knee tendonitis, not very serious, resolved with rest and stretching). There are others who could do high intensity work with a lesser base.

After 2 years of > 3000+ mi, I was able to ride for 4 hours comfortably and do solo centuries in the 6.5 hr (total time) range, was doing some 1000+ mi months, mixing in some 1 hr sub-LT threshold workouts, most rides were averaging over 18 mph, and averaged 20+ on flat terrain (once for 4 hours, but I was running from T-storms for much of that ride) - all on a '95 Cannondale T-700 with 35mm tires, early 40s, 5'10", ca 160-165 lb. As I said, VERY ordinary numbers.
Old 06-18-20, 12:19 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Some people want to ride faster than 14 MPH. That's allowed. Why go slow if you can go fast?
I got no problem with speed. But a 20 mile ride is a great accomplishment and averaging 14 mph in 5 or 6 months is pretty dang good I think. Speed will come if that's the goal.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-18-20, 12:37 PM
caloso

Yes, although usually I will take 4-5 min break in the middle. I have ridden without breaks as well!
Here's a way you can do a simple interval set without a powermeter or HRM: Find a relatively flat stretch of road where you can ride for 20-30 minutes without having to stop. Ride out there easily to warm up. Ride 20 minutes at 16mph. Try to keep it as steady as possible. Soft pedal for 5 minutes, get a drink, whatever. Turn around and ride 20 minutes at 16mph back to the start. Easy ride home. Do this a couple or three times a week. After 16mph seems too easy, bump it to 17.
Old 06-18-20, 01:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
This can take you from zero to hero in one season.
Old 06-18-20, 07:19 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
This. You have slow twitch, and fast twitch muscles. Long rides build your slow twitch (endurance). Hi intensity intervals (sprint, then recover, repeat) will build the fast twitch. Oversimplified, but generally accurate. Mix in some interval training with your current distance rides.
Last year my mathematical average ride went up from 27 to 40 miles including my MTB rides. As time went on I was doing frequent 85+ miles rides. I could ride further and further but my climbing speeds were going down and I was struggling. Funny how that works. This year I've replaced some general riding with doing circles around the yard on my XC bike. Basically climb 40-50% grade (25-35 degree) for about 500 feet gravel and then about 2000 foot gradual decline around to get back to the bottom. Brutal and boring.

Last edited by u235; 06-18-20 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 08:05 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
You already got all the advice you need from people who have done more training than I, but if you want to go faster you just have to turn the pedals faster. Which does bring the question to cadence.

I don’t know if you just mash or spin. Years ago my goal was 90 or more. I had a computer with cadence and that was what drove me. After a while I didn’t need it; it is just the way I ride.

How fast can you go over 5 miles? 16? 17? 18? 20?

If you can go fast over 5 miles and then run out of gas, you need to ride more miles at speed.

If climbing is your downfall then hit the hills. Hills always made me stronger.

And, everything is a race. Except for some exploring rides.

I don’t adhere to this so much anymore.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 06-18-20 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-19-20, 07:54 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Math is a funny thing sometimes. The drag on slower riders is less than faster riders. So when you apply savings, the watts difference is less. But, that pesky math. Slower riders save more time because for the same distance rides it takes them longer to do them. For the same 20mi ride, a slower rider will save more time from aero upgrades than a fast rider.
Funny, I see this claimed on occasion but have never seen the actual math to back it up. Can you link me to it?

What you are claiming can make sense were wind resistance a linear function of speed, (like rolling resistance) but it is not. It increases exponentially.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-19-20, 08:06 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Funny, I see this claimed on occasion but have never seen the actual math to back it up. Can you link me to it?

What you are claiming can make sense were wind resistance a linear function of speed, (like rolling resistance) but it is not. It increases exponentially.
The one link in my post above has a link buried at the bottom of that website that takes you to their math. Their wheelsets data has a table broken down my your expected mph for like an Ironman or something and the expected time saved.

Basically, it's the math of it takes a slower rider up to 50% longer to ride the same distance as a fast rider. So, even if the slower rider sees like 20% less benefit than the fast rider.........he or she is on-course for so much longer the time saved is more. Imagine being given a smaller bucket to scoop water into a trough, but given more time to scoop it than the person with a bigger bucket.

Also, since like you say, aero drag is non-linear........those extra watts saved by the faster rider don't make the faster rider linearly faster. Saving 20w at 28mph isn't the same as saving 15w at 15mph. That 20w at 28mph won't get you much more speed. But 15w at only 15mph could get you a lot more.
Old 06-19-20, 08:23 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

Let us all be truly thankful this is not true. Wind resistance increases with the square of the velocity with respect to the wind (bike speed plus head wind speed) and, for completeness, times the road speed, the combined frontal area and coefficient of wind resistance. If it were exponential, we would just stay home on windy days, I reckon.

Otto
Old 06-19-20, 08:28 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Let us all be truly thankful this is not true. Wind resistance increases with the square of the velocity with respect to the wind (bike speed plus head wind speed) and, for completeness, times the road speed, the combined frontal area and coefficient of wind resistance. If it were exponential, we would just stay home on windy days, I reckon.

Otto
Ummm.... increasing with the square of something IS exponential increase. The exponent is 2.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-19-20, 08:31 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
This will be a big part of the reason people move away from gravel bikes, now they're so on trend but people will eventually piece together that they're slower than a regular roadbikes.

Unless you are actually riding on non paved surfaces that gravel bike is slowing you down
How much? Not much, but it's slowing you down for certain.

It's not weight, it's aero... The difference between an endurance bike and an aero bike is not just tube shapes, rider position is a huge reason for the AERO advantage of an aero bike. Even at 14 mph aero matters. Depending on setup a gravel bike can be basically the same as a hybrid for rider position.

If you have lots of trails to use nearby a gravel bike could be fun, but riding one on pavement sounds frustrating if speed is your goal

Last edited by Tacoenthusiast; 06-19-20 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-19-20, 08:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
The one link in my post above has a link buried at the bottom of that website that takes you to their math. Their wheelsets data has a table broken down my your expected mph for like an Ironman or something and the expected time saved.

Basically, it's the math of it takes a slower rider up to 50% longer to ride the same distance as a fast rider. So, even if the slower rider sees like 20% less benefit than the fast rider.........he or she is on-course for so much longer the time saved is more. Imagine being given a smaller bucket to scoop water into a trough, but given more time to scoop it than the person with a bigger bucket.

Also, since like you say, aero drag is non-linear........those extra watts saved by the faster rider don't make the faster rider linearly faster. Saving 20w at 28mph isn't the same as saving 15w at 15mph. That 20w at 28mph won't get you much more speed. But 15w at only 15mph could get you a lot more.

I took a look at the link, and that's a great example of sales-driven logic. The real question is what are the primary factors limiting your speed to 15 mph and where do you get the biggest bang for the buck countering them. Drag would only be one of those factors, and at that speed such a small one that marginal changes in it are highly unlikely to have any noticeable effect. That math is done by a guy selling a product, there's no evidence that it actually works out that way in the real world, and I think it's completely simplistic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.