Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1970's Peugeot Bottom Bracket replacement

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20, 04:26 PM
lamap
Luis Pacheco

Bikes: 2006 Allez Comp, 2012 Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear all

In a moment of weakness I bought an 1970's Peugeot road bike, that I am trying to get in good shape.

When striping the crankset, cotter type, I was not able to remove one of the cotter. My plan is to fit a square taper sealed BB and a new crank anyway.

Can you advise on the square taper axle lenght? Cotter axle is 140mm,

I guess the new axel should be shorter, and I see on ebay sizes from 103 to 131mm.

I dont have the new cranks yet, Should I buy the crank first, or is there some kind of measure I can choose?

Thank you for your help,

Kind regards

Luis
Old 06-18-20, 04:30 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
What is the width of the bottom bracket shell ?
Old 06-18-20, 04:39 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by lamap
Dear all

In a moment of weakness I bought an 1970's Peugeot road bike, that I am trying to get in good shape.

When striping the crankset, cotter type, I was not able to remove one of the cotter. My plan is to fit a square taper sealed BB and a new crank anyway.

I guess the new axel should be shorter, and I see on ebay sizes from 103 to 131mm.

I dont have the new cranks yet, Should I buy the crank first, or is there some kind of measure I can choose?

Thank you for your help,

Kind regards

Luis
...look for the crank first. The new crank you choose will either specify the spindle length required, or if you buy an older used one, the spindle length will be specified somewhere, like on Velobase. You also need to determine if you have French threading in the BB shell, or if your bike is late enough in the 70's that it has standard threading. If it has a cottered crank now, the chances are pretty solid that it's French threading.

So you can't use just any old BB unit off ebay or Amazon. Look on Velo Orange for the French threaded unit they sell there if that's what you have.

Don't order anything until you have the old spindle out and the fixed cup removed. Sometimes this becomes problematic.
Old 06-18-20, 04:42 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
The bottom bracket is more than likely French threaded, so you would have limited options for a sealed cartridge BB. Velo Orange makes a range of spindle lengths, and it will depend on your crankset, so yes, try to research cranksets and bottom brackets at the same time.

Another thing you could do is use the same bottom bracket cups with a new square taper spindle. There are a lot of resources about this type of transition -- search google for "cottered to cotterless conversion."
Old 06-18-20, 04:55 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
T

Another thing you could do is use the same bottom bracket cups with a new square taper spindle. There are a lot of resources about this type of transition -- search google for "cottered to cotterless conversion."
....just for the record, old Peugeot cottered cups have a smaller opening than almost everything else. So this often becomes another frustrating exercise. There's a reason so many people hate older French bikes. Not me of course, but so many people.
Old 06-18-20, 05:02 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Replacing Peugeot Cottered BB

Originally Posted by lamap
Dear all
Thank you for your help,
Kind regards
Luis
Decide on the cranks 1st then you will know what BB you will need.

Figure on getting a complete BB with cups and spindle/axle. Just trying to use a cotterless spindle with the old cups probably will not work well because of the ball track locations - see chart below.

Also, the old cups used with low end cottered cranks were poor quality and are likely to be worn out. The new spindle may have smaller or larger diameter ends and not fit the old cups.

Note, some Peugeot bikes used Left Hand Thread Fixed Cups (drive side). Those were also known as Swiss Thread Metric. Getting a Swiss Thread Fixed Cup is going to be difficult.

branko_76 "What is the width of the bottom bracket shell ?"

Almost all Peugeot road bikes had 68mm wide BB shells.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 06-18-20 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 06:20 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
70's French... big percentage chance French threading.
Way back often a Sugino Maxi spindle was used... now I do not recall if we used one designed for a 68 mm shell or Italian 70 mm shell.

If there is a bike co-op around that is open... a cottered Peugeot of the 70's is a fun bike but budget sourcing is appropriate.
Old 06-18-20, 06:21 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Decide on the crank but don't buy until you know you can get the correct bottom bracket.
Old 06-18-20, 06:25 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
As @noobinsf notes, the shell is probably French thread, although some late 70s/early 80s Peugeots may have Swiss thread (same as French, but with a left-hand thread fixed cup to resist precessional loosening). If French thread, Velo-Orange offers a French-thread cartridge that may work for you. If Swiss thread, they also offer an unthreaded cartridge. The limitation is whether there is a spindle length that will work with the crank you intend to use. If you're willing to spend the money, Phil Wood cartridges are available in a wide variety of spindle configurations and thread specs, including both French and Swiss. It is virtually certain that a Phil cartridge can be found to work with whatever crank you prefer, but they're not cheap. On the other hand, a Phil cartridge is likely to last as long as you own the bike, so you only have to buy it once.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-19-20, 02:05 AM
lamap
Luis Pacheco

Bikes: 2006 Allez Comp, 2012 Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How, what a great forum!

Thank you all for the usefull information.

The cups are out with the help of a vise, I guess they are french type (both like regular RH screws).

So I will begin looking for a square tapered crank. After I will then buy a sealed type as the ones from Velo Orange.

Kind regards,

Luis
Old 06-19-20, 02:24 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I just got a Peugeot Crank set, with Peugeot boldly pantographed into the crank arms. Yours for cheap and I can include the bottom bracket but it is not French threaded. Anyway, the crank in question just came off of this bike...

Sorry, I don't have a picture of the actual crank set but this is identical to the one that I do have

Last edited by randyjawa; 06-19-20 at 02:30 AM.
Likes For randyjawa: