Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Play in Mavic Aksium Rear Hub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-20, 11:00 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts

I've got a little (about 1 mil) lateral play in my Aksium Race rear hub. How much of a PITA are these to work on?
Old 06-19-20, 11:22 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
I've got a little (about 1 mil) lateral play in my Aksium Race rear hub. How much of a PITA are these to work on?
1mm is a lot!
Is it in the freehub body? In the cassette fitment? the hub sliding back & forth on the axle or the deflection at the rim? Deflection of the cassette?
We need specifics.

If it is cartridge bearings it should be a simple matter for a shop to press out the old & press in a new set. ~$60 for 4 bearings plus labor if I'm not mistaken.

If cup/cone a bit if grease, a handful of bearing balls, 2 wrenches, and a bit of time. In general not hard. IME bike shops screw it up more often than they get it right.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 06-19-20, 12:35 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/te...l-2018_2_1.pdf

This may have your hubs. https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/te...l-2016_2_1.pdf

Last edited by davidad; 06-19-20 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-19-20, 02:50 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Hub seems to be sliding back and forth, and is causing a bit of 'clunking' from the back wheel.
Old 06-19-20, 08:32 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
First make sure that the axle end caps are properly tightened. An end cap not fully threaded into the axle can allow for lateral hub shell end play.

Mavic has used at least two hub shell bearing "adjustment" designs. The older one uses a preload collar with 6 pin holes that simply threads in and out, varying the preload on the bearing. The newer (and undoubtedly lower cost) has the bearing fitting onto a sleeve that threads onto the axle and this sleeve has a one time locking of it's position, so a readjustment or bearing replacement also requires this sleeve to be replaced. Or at least a few years ago this was the case. Andy