Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is this a Pinarello?

Old 06-20-20, 08:51 PM
grindher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Is this a Pinarello?

Hi,
I bought this frame 12 years ago from a popular action site. I built it up and have ridden it sparingly through the twelve years that I've had it. It turned out to be a tad to small for me. I decommisioned it this spring and built something up that fits me better. Now I'm looking to pass the frameset and some of the parts on. I just want to make sure what it is before advertising it. The decals seem wrong to me. Possibly a repaint. The fork is not original.
Thanks.

Old 06-21-20, 04:30 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac, 196? Torpado Professional

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 234 Posts
I am certainly no expert on the Pinarello brand although I have owned three. The one that I have now set me back a hundred bucks (CND). The one that I have is a lower end model and, based on frame details, I would suggest that the OP's bike is not a Pinarello. I say that for one reason - the lugs sport the wrong cutouts (cannot see what the head lug top lug has as a cut out. Again, I am no expert but have a look at these pics. Perhaps they will help...

I see no provision for headbadge on the OP's bike...

The cutout on the bottom head tube lug sports the proper cutout on my bike but not on the OP's...

The OP's bike sports a heart shaped cutout on the seat tube lug but my Pinn does not...

I repeat, I am no expert but I would, as is going on right now, seek more information from others who have more information to add.
Old 06-21-20, 04:35 AM
cb400bill
Inoxidable Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1, Cannondale Synapse, Raleigh C50, Trek 710, Raleigh Granada, Legnano Pista, Viscount Aerospace Pro

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1896 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 761 Posts
Serial number pic?
Old 06-21-20, 04:58 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 515 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3299 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 553 Posts
Probably not. Based on the presence of a front derailleur hanger and internal routing for the rear brake cable, the frame is new and high enough that I'd expect Pinarello embossing or logos somewhere on the frame. I also notice that the front fork has dropout eyelets, while the rear does not not, suggesting the possibility of a replacement fork and crashed frame with a repaint. Still, it's a nice generic frame with desirable components, though I have a difficult time accepting the upright conversion.
Old 06-21-20, 06:24 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 46 Posts
The "P" on the headbadge is modern, probably came into use around 1999 or so and that tells us that someone painted and put new decals on this frame.
Old 06-21-20, 11:20 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 148 Posts
Is that a crack in the rear dropout?
Old 06-21-20, 12:28 PM
grindher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
More pictures

As I stated in the first post, the fork is not original to the frame. I bought it as frame only.
The completed bike picture is as I had it built up last. Over the twelve years that I've had the frame it has seen many different cockpits. No matter what I do to it, it's never going to be the bike that I grab first to take on a ride. I have A Windsor Super Carrera set up similarly that is a better fit.

Any ideas on what this might be?
Italian BB
27.0 seatpost