Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Park pedal wrench peeve, SOLVED.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Park pedal wrench peeve, SOLVED.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-20, 08:01 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Just like trying to get my Garmin to talk to my PC, keep plugging/unplugging until something happens. Sometimes takes 30 tries though.

It's been six months now, and life is much better with my "ruined" wrench (I'm no longer feeling like RJ/Homer Simpson 90% of the time).
Old 06-23-20, 08:41 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
I would have just paint marked each side of the wrench for quick reference,
Old 06-23-20, 10:45 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Originally Posted by zukahn1
I would have just paint marked each side of the wrench for quick reference,
Yeah, in my original post I mentioned that I had painted the 9/16" side white. Still got the wrong opening 90% of the time!
Old 06-24-20, 12:02 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,485 Times in 3,209 Posts
Thread has motivated me to color code my three Park double-sided cone wrenches, once and for all. I've already got four colors of electrical tape. Surely this will knock off a little time on those really frustrating hubs that I'll be able to bank for some future use.

thanks, op.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-24-20, 03:49 AM
barnfind

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
Years ago, after breaking my original Eldi pedal wrench on a stuck pedal I went digging in the scrap pile for a solution. I ended up taking an old leaf spring and carving a 15mm wrench slot in one end, it worked so well I made one for 9/16" too. I cut it at about 24" long and the wrench slot is at the end so every bit of its length adds to the leverage.
I keep saying that one day I'll make myself another one and make it a proper handle next time but I've been using the homemade wrench now for 30+ years with a rag and some duct tape for a handle. I really didn't think it would last because the spring was so easy to cut with the cut off wheel but its been just fine all these years. Its a bit thicker than those that you buy, and I ground it thinner a time or two but its still 3/16" thick or so at the tip.
These have both outlasted a dozen other wrenches over the years, including several Park PW3 and PW4 wrenches, several Eldi combination wrenches, and a few VAR wrenches. I don't usually go right for the homemade wrenches, I do have a few others in the tool box but rather than tearing up a good pedal wrench on a tough set of pedals I grab my homemade version and be done with it.
Likes For barnfind:
Old 06-24-20, 08:02 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Glad you found an escape from irritation. It's funny how little things grow to the point where one just has to do something. Personally, I would have sold that wrench and bought Park's PW-4. The double 15mm angled head allows mounting for best leverage.
Old 06-24-20, 09:30 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

My Hozan pedal wrench is helpful on stubborn pedals because it has the opening inline on one end and at 90-degrees on the other. It also has a bit of offset for crankarm clearance.
Length is modest, there is no plastic grip, and the tool looks worn-out (probably because it's so useful), but it still makes a good go-to pedal remover!