Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

When all else fails RTFM (and a Campy secret handshake)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-25-20, 04:15 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts

I took my main bike for a longer ride yesterday, a flat 35 miles along Rockaway Beach in NYC. Through the whole ride though I kept thinking the shifting still wasn't right on my Chorus 10 setup, and I had just taken off the cassette, cleaned it, and gone through the Park Tool method to adjust the derailleur. Last time I did it it worked beautifully. This time though I spent every ride so far trying to tweak it but couldn't get it right. Then it dawned on my, what if the spacers that I thought were all the same, weren't? So I pull up the Campy manual online, take off the cassette, and sure enough I swapped two identical looking spacers that were different thicknesses. Luckily the spacers are stamped with their thickness. I put it back together, correctly this time, and now it shifts like brand new after a few quarter turns of the adjuster.
Likes For zacster:
Old 06-25-20, 09:08 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Which spacers go where?

I ride Campy 10 too and sometimes it's perfect and others, not. I occasionally remove the cassette, so I could have scrambled the spacers.

I have a 12-25 on one wheelset and 12-30 on the other, the 12-25 does shift better. I figured this was due to range. Who knows?
Old 06-25-20, 10:10 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I took my main bike for a longer ride yesterday, a flat 35 miles along Rockaway Beach in NYC. Through the whole ride though I kept thinking the shifting still wasn't right on my Chorus 10 setup, and I had just taken off the cassette, cleaned it, and gone through the Park Tool method to adjust the derailleur. Last time I did it it worked beautifully. This time though I spent every ride so far trying to tweak it but couldn't get it right. Then it dawned on my, what if the spacers that I thought were all the same, weren't? So I pull up the Campy manual online, take off the cassette, and sure enough I swapped two identical looking spacers that were different thicknesses. Luckily the spacers are stamped with their thickness. I put it back together, correctly this time, and now it shifts like brand new after a few quarter turns of the adjuster.
when I open a new cassette I use a small file to notch the spacers, one notch for the first spacer, two for the next one etc etc. Reassembling the cassette is foolproof after that
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-25-20, 10:49 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Which spacers go where?

I ride Campy 10 too and sometimes it's perfect and others, not. I occasionally remove the cassette, so I could have scrambled the spacers.

I have a 12-25 on one wheelset and 12-30 on the other, the 12-25 does shift better. I figured this was due to range. Who knows?
Look in here: Campy Cassettes There is a diagram with each of the standard cassettes that they've sold in 10 & 11 speed. There is mention of joined large sprockets but mine were loose and the diagram shows it that way.
Old 06-25-20, 10:50 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Litespud
when I open a new cassette I use a small file to notch the spacers, one notch for the first spacer, two for the next one etc etc. Reassembling the cassette is foolproof after that
The spacers are marked with their thickness, but you need the manual linked above to know where to put them. In my case I had the 1.6 swapped with the first 2.4. And those were the gears that were noisy that also didn't shift well, or when I made it shift well there the others would not. Now it is click, click, click. And because the shifter was readjusted back to where it should be, the 2nd small cog shift works. It wasn't going up before but would skip it when I went to 3rd small cog.

And really, it was more annoying than anything else because I just couldn't get it 100% right.

Last edited by zacster; 06-25-20 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-26-20, 08:42 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I used to buy Campy Veloce 10-speed cassettes that had all loose cogs so you needed a spacer between each of them. I had to follow the instruction sheet's directions very carefully every time I assembled them to be sure I had the spacers in the correct positions. They were nothing as simple as Shimano cassettes where all of the spacers are identical.
Old 06-26-20, 09:24 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
One trick I use is to put a plastic electrical tie though the center of each cog or spacer as I pull it off, which keeps everything in the correct order and facing the right way. You can close the tie backwards so you don't have to cut it to reopen it.
Old 06-26-20, 12:16 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I used to buy Campy Veloce 10-speed cassettes that had all loose cogs so you needed a spacer between each of them. I had to follow the instruction sheet's directions very carefully every time I assembled them to be sure I had the spacers in the correct positions. They were nothing as simple as Shimano cassettes where all of the spacers are identical.
I see what you are saying, but it's also not particularly complicated to simply follow a diagram indicating which spacers go where...

Originally Posted by wgscott
One trick I use is to put a plastic electrical tie though the center of each cog or spacer as I pull it off, which keeps everything in the correct order and facing the right way. You can close the tie backwards so you don't have to cut it to reopen it.
The cassettes now come on a plastic spline that is used for mounting and dismounting. Not sure when they started using them, but it's a pretty handy way of keeping things organized (until they accidentally slide off the spline).
Old 06-26-20, 12:30 PM
zacster

The plastic splines were always on the cassettes that I bought. The question is which bin o' crap did they end up in? And the real issue is that I took it apart to thoroughly clean it, in which case it all got mixed up in the cleaning fluid as much as I tried to keep it straight.

As the title of the thread says:

RTFM!
Likes For zacster:
Old 06-26-20, 02:21 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Different thickness spacers on the same cassette is one of the dumber things Campy has done recently (but not a huge deal.) Fortunately, you can avoid this confusion and a dozen other issues by using Campy 10-speed brifters with a Shimano 8-speed system, because the cable pull is exactly the same. Though I've moved onto downtube shifters now and have little use for brifters.
Old 06-26-20, 07:56 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by FastJake
Different thickness spacers on the same cassette is one of the dumber things Campy has done recently (but not a huge deal.) Fortunately, you can avoid this confusion and a dozen other issues by using Campy 10-speed brifters with a Shimano 8-speed system, because the cable pull is exactly the same. Though I've moved onto downtube shifters now and have little use for brifters.
If I'm going to spend the money for a Campy 10sp systen the last thing I would do is dumb it down to Shimano 8sp. 8sp was never a popular system. We went from 7 to 9 to 10 to 11. 8 just never caught on.
Likes For zacster:
Old 06-26-20, 08:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
I run Campy Ergo 9 speed levers but on Shimano 9 speed cassettes so my understanding might be tilted... (by the ShiftMates I use)

Isn't Campy still using cog C-C spacing that's the same across the cog set? If so then any between cog spacers are sized to take into account the cog's thickness to result in the teeth being "on center". If so then one needs to pay attention to the cog's "root" thickness WRT the spacer. Andy
Old 06-26-20, 08:53 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
It's pretty much to account for the depth of the some of the joined cogs.

I had it all apart today and it was no big deal. Pretty obvious really where they go. My crunchy shifting is because I'm missing a spring on the barrel adjuster, so it doesn't stay in place.

It's not a problem to eyeball the right spacer, as long as you're aware that there are different sized spacers.

I learned something new today though, so that's pretty cool.