Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

1967 Raleigh Grand Prix Spoke Protector

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 04:30 PM
Simplex05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know which spoke protector size a vintage 1967 Raleigh Grand Prix would take?
Old 06-27-20, 05:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Probably the size for a 36 spoke wheel but you should count to verify.
Old 06-27-20, 05:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
This bike wil have a freewheel mounted cog set. So a freewheel specific protector is where you start. Next up is the hubshell's seat shoulder for the freewheel and it's dimensional relationship to the spoke flange. Back then this dimension was less then current. So the protectors had little "dish" to their mounting hole WRT the disk portion. A sheet metal core with a plastic outer portion was common as was an entirely all sheet metal type. The current molded plastic versions with a thick hole portion can cause rub on the back side of the freewheel, especially if the freewheel is an older one as they usually had the freewheel body and large cog flush WRT each other.

But this assumes a OEM type wheel (and freewheel). If the wheel and/or the freewheel are more current then the time proven method of fit and see applies.

If you're talking about the outer portion's diameter then about 6" was common. The protector only needs to be slightly larger then the large cog is. Andy
Old 06-27-20, 05:51 PM
Simplex05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So would I just count each spoke coming out of one side of the wheel?
Old 06-27-20, 05:53 PM
Simplex05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This bike wil have a freewheel mounted cog set. So a freewheel specific protector is where you start. Next up is the hubshell's seat shoulder for the freewheel and it's dimensional relationship to the spoke flange. Back then this dimension was less then current. So the protectors had little "dish" to their mounting hole WRT the disk portion. A sheet metal core with a plastic outer portion was common as was an entirely all sheet metal type. The current molded plastic versions with a thick hole portion can cause rub on the back side of the freewheel, especially if the freewheel is an older one as they usually had the freewheel body and large cog flush WRT each other.

But this assumes a OEM type wheel (and freewheel). If the wheel and/or the freewheel are more current then the time proven method of fit and see applies.

If you're talking about the outer portion's diameter then about 6" was common. The protector only needs to be slightly larger then the large cog is. Andy
I believe the parts are from 1967 as the bike has been in my family since then, You are so right it does have a sheet metal that's a little dish

I wasn't at 10 post before but I just got there so I couldn't post pictures before but here are some pictures of the bike. The top picture is without the spoke protector and the bottom one is with it. I don't really have that many pictures with it because I took it into a bike store to have the tires replaced and they told me that the spoke protector was damaging the spokes and they just removed it without even asking my permission first

Last edited by Simplex05; 06-27-20 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-27-20, 06:00 PM
Simplex05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Probably the size for a 36 spoke wheel but you should count to verify.
I just counted all the spokes on both sides and they were 36 total, So what size would that be?
Old 06-27-20, 06:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I'm sorry I don't know what the sizes are named. As above, the freewheel will have to be removed to replace the protector so the bike will have to go back to the shop. They can get one for you if you really want it. Most people remove them. When the plastic ones get old they crack and can get tangled in the spokes, a hazard. That's probably why the shop removed it. Again, the thing is unnecessary so most folks wouldn't spend any more time worrying about it. Nice looking Raleigh, BTW!
Old 06-27-20, 06:51 PM
Simplex05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm sorry I don't know what the sizes are named. As above, the freewheel will have to be removed to replace the protector so the bike will have to go back to the shop. They can get one for you if you really want it. Most people remove them. When the plastic ones get old they crack and can get tangled in the spokes, a hazard. That's probably why the shop removed it. Again, the thing is unnecessary so most folks wouldn't spend any more time worrying about it. Nice looking Raleigh, BTW!
Thanks hopefully someone else will know the size, I plan to have some of the back spokes replaced as they are a bit bent and it causes a wobble in the wheel. At one store it was suggested that I just buy a brand new wheel but I want to keep the original wheel, I don't really care on how much it costs to fix it. But I would love to get a spoke protector before they take it all apart. Most stores I have called won't even carry spoke protectors in store and can't really order them.

And thanks so much yeah the body of the raleigh still mint even the paint is still mint some of the stickers need to be replaced.
Old 06-27-20, 08:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
If the goal is a show grade result then you'll want the OEM guard, good luck on that one. If you want a period correct one then you already have that. The first photo shows the metal core of the OEM guard w/out the plastic outer portion. This is a mod that i did a few times back in the early 1970s BTW. it suggests that the shop might known more then you give them credit for.

The modded guard covers the needed aspects, the spoke ends, from chain damage. I would be interested in what spoke damage is from the guard. Bent spokes are a result of impacts ot stuff getting caught up in the moving wheel. It's these stresses that also generally cause the rim to become untrue. Not the spokes getting a bend that does this. If the spokes were allowed to loosen that they could become bent more easily, again generally as a result of an incident. But low tension spokes won't support a rim and thus will allow a untrue rim more readily too.

Don't be surprised if the shop won't relace new spokes with that old rim. Their reputation and your acceptance and the long term reliability is dependent on the rim's condition with no spoke tension obscuring the rim's natural condition. Replacing the spokes will mean the wheel isn't original any longer anyway. Before I would suggest a new rim and spokes (which a shop should be willing to do) I strongly suggest opening up the hub and assessing the axle, cones and races conditions. Andy
Old 06-27-20, 09:37 PM
Simplex05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If the goal is a show grade result then you'll want the OEM guard, good luck on that one. If you want a period correct one then you already have that. The first photo shows the metal core of the OEM guard w/out the plastic outer portion. This is a mod that i did a few times back in the early 1970s BTW. it suggests that the shop might known more then you give them credit for.

The modded guard covers the needed aspects, the spoke ends, from chain damage. I would be interested in what spoke damage is from the guard. Bent spokes are a result of impacts ot stuff getting caught up in the moving wheel. It's these stresses that also generally cause the rim to become untrue. Not the spokes getting a bend that does this. If the spokes were allowed to loosen that they could become bent more easily, again generally as a result of an incident. But low tension spokes won't support a rim and thus will allow a untrue rim more readily too.

Don't be surprised if the shop won't relace new spokes with that old rim. Their reputation and your acceptance and the long term reliability is dependent on the rim's condition with no spoke tension obscuring the rim's natural condition. Replacing the spokes will mean the wheel isn't original any longer anyway. Before I would suggest a new rim and spokes (which a shop should be willing to do) I strongly suggest opening up the hub and assessing the axle, cones and races conditions. Andy
I wish I could just pay you to have you look at it lol, The metal core was behind the spoke protector. At the end of the day I'm just interested in getting a new spoke plastic and have a shop replace it. Then have them look at the spokes to see if there are any damage ones, The bent spokes came from the spoke protector if I recall if you look at the picture of the original the actually spoke protector was bent and I think it was digging in the spokes. The wheel had a bad wobble to it but I tuned the wheel myself and it seemed to have bad a huge improvement. The store who also took off the spoke protector the guy didn't really know what he was doing at all like I have only been messing around with bikes for a year or so and I was able to setup the simplex derailleur when the guy at the store said that the parts were to old and he couldn't be bothered with them. He even wanted to replace the old derailleur with a new one

I don't really think it would be possible to find a original spoke protector unless you were lucky in like a metal scrap yard. I think if I could buy a new one it would be best as it wouldn't be dried out

Would something like this work?
https://www.amazon.ca/Baosity-Protec...32463037&psc=1

Last edited by Simplex05; 06-27-20 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-27-20, 10:41 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Simplex05
Don't think so. You have a 1967 hub, right? That has a freewheel. The listed item is for a freehub - different design and the protectors aren't interchangeable.

Some have said that these disks serve no purpose. I'd suggest that with a Simplex derailleur that's that old, they DO serve a purpose in keeping a bent or broken RD from putting the chain in between the freewheel and spokes.
Old 06-27-20, 11:01 PM
Simplex05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So your unable to get a new protector? What do you mean they aren't interchangeable? I know that you have to take off the free wheel

Thanks for your help

Last edited by Simplex05; 06-28-20 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-28-20, 07:55 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Does anyone know which spoke protector size a vintage 1967 Raleigh Grand Prix would take?
This is for 1970's era Raleigh Grand Prix's, not sure if it was used in 1967....

Old 06-28-20, 09:58 AM
Simplex05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
This is for 1970's era Raleigh Grand Prix's, not sure if it was used in 1967....

Interesting I believe the one in the first picture was the one that came on the bike. There are old pictures from like 1970s with the bike in it being plastic, The bike has been in our family since new
Old 06-28-20, 10:26 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Alta-Spoke-Pr...3361540&sr=8-3
Old 06-28-20, 03:17 PM
Simplex05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a similar year with a plastic ring around it which has the same sickers / simplex derailleurs different colour
Old 06-28-20, 03:25 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I just counted all the spokes on both sides and they were 36 total, So what size would that be?
The spoke protectors I am familiar with will work regardless of spoke count.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-28-20, 04:12 PM
Simplex05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I bought one from a store and its quite a big size and didn't seem to work
Old 06-28-20, 04:21 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Where are you located? If there is a co-op near you they might have one. I have several but believe all mine be plastic. Metal ones aren't rare, though some have value. I think Randy Jawa offered to give away a Sekine one. Those are nice as they have "Sekine" stamped into them.

Perhaps you could seek one on the trade thread in the C & V forum.
Old 06-28-20, 06:04 PM
Simplex05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm from Canada
Old 06-28-20, 06:17 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
What cities are you near??

For example Hamilton, Ontario has New Hope and most other major Canadian cities have one, some require memberships and other allow anyone in on a pay as you go basis. If you can email them a photo of the one you are seeking they might have one.
Old 06-28-20, 09:13 PM
Simplex05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
What cities are you near??

For example Hamilton, Ontario has New Hope and most other major Canadian cities have one, some require memberships and other allow anyone in on a pay as you go basis. If you can email them a photo of the one you are seeking they might have one.
I'm in Toronto