Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Turns out clipless pedals no better than flat pedals

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Turns out clipless pedals no better than flat pedals

Old 06-30-20, 07:33 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
... Never tried pins though. That may be different, but see no reason to find out myself. ...
scott s.
The pins are excellent at drawing blood from your shin when your feet slip and they will eventually come loose from the pedal.
Old 06-30-20, 08:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhenry
The pins are excellent at drawing blood from your shin when your feet slip and they will eventually come loose from the pedal.
hasn't happened.
Old 06-30-20, 09:04 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Originally Posted by Troul
hasn't happened.
It has to me multiple times. I've got the scars. I haven't been able to find a pair of knee guards long enough to protect my shins.
Likes For adamhenry:
Old 06-30-20, 09:41 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
here is a cycling shoe for the cultist.
I don't mean that in a bad way. It just amuses me that sandals require spd's and them who ride them swear by them, hence being called cultist.

While I for sure fall into the SPD more than platforrms, if I was to cycle in a sandal it would probably be on platform pedals. Maybe I should try the SPD sandal, but I don't want to get addicted...

https://bikepacking.com/news/shimano...a-spd-sandals/
Old 06-30-20, 09:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
What's the best chain lube?, What's the best frame material?, What's the best tire and size?, Flat bars or drops? Flats, clips, or clipless?
Meh, ride what you want.
Best chain lube: WD-40

Best frame material: whatever Huffies are made out of

Best Tire and Size: Specialized Alibi tires (solid rubber, baby) and 18 x 1 3/8

Flipped upside-down drop bars

Riding on just pedal spindles is the best; super aero, lightweight no need for special shoes and with a little duct tape you are not going to fall off the pedals.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-30-20, 09:53 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

I live in sandals all summer long but there ain't no way. That first picture of sandals with socks hurts my eyes. Plaid shorts with suspenders would be a good match. Sandals would never work for cycling for me. JMO though.
Likes For adamhenry:
Old 06-30-20, 11:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
So what's everybody's favorite clipless pedal lube?
I use Finish Line Pedal and Cleat lube. Not aware of other options but open to suggestions.

Truth be told I don't use it super often but once and a while just as a preventive and because we have it at the shop.
Old 07-01-20, 02:32 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
here is a cycling shoe for the cultist.
I don't mean that in a bad way. It just amuses me that sandals require spd's and them who ride them swear by them, hence being called cultist.

While I for sure fall into the SPD more than platforrms, if I was to cycle in a sandal it would probably be on platform pedals. Maybe I should try the SPD sandal, but I don't want to get addicted...

https://bikepacking.com/news/shimano...a-spd-sandals/
Originally Posted by adamhenry
I live in sandals all summer long but there ain't no way. That first picture of sandals with socks hurts my eyes. Plaid shorts with suspenders would be a good match. Sandals would never work for cycling for me. JMO though.
I have the Shimano SD-5 sandals and they are by far the best touring shoe I can imagine. Breathable, cool and quick drying when its hot but can be used in almost freezing conditions and rain when paired with sealkinz waterproof socks.

In general SPD sandals are far better summer rain cycling shoes than regular spd shoes, because of quick drying times and very little water retention. My normal shimano shoes need three days to air dry if they get properly soaked. The SD-5's are dry in hours.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 07-01-20, 04:19 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
.............. I simply am not willing to run the experiment with clipless, especially because I know walking in the shoes even for a short distance would also probably wreck my ankles.
Have you ever tried Mtn bike shoes/pedals. Just wondering if that might work for you.
Old 07-01-20, 04:38 AM
TK LP

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts
It's your ride, ride what you want.
Old 07-01-20, 04:45 AM
csuperbike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
These actually kick ass

https://blueskycycling.com/products/...iABEgI-__D_BwE
Old 07-01-20, 04:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Have you ever tried Mtn bike shoes/pedals. Just wondering if that might work for you.
I ride about 250 miles a week without foot problems, do a lot of climbing standing on the pedals, and cruise at 20+ mph, so I'm finding the whole discussion of the limitations of platforms rather funny.

To answer your question, all of my bikes have RaceFace Chesters, which is a mtn bike pedal. My general foot problems are pretty bad if I walk in the wrong kind of shoes, so I don't experiment with it much. I wear New Balance sneakers with orthotics. Bicycling has always been the one activity that hasn't caused my feet to flare up, so I don't see a need for special "biking" shoes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-01-20, 05:34 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Do folks not realize that most of the top DH and Enduro Pro MTB racers, not to mention all of the Pro XC MTB racers(you know, the guys who get paid to be as fast as possible), choose to use clipless pedals because of the benefits that they offer? Climbing, sprinting, in all those conditions.
Yes, clipless are better for racing. While this should be news to almost nobody, it is also irrelevant to the point I was making:

The idea that flats pose a real risk of slipping off on a road bike or commuter - and that you need clip-less in order to prevent this - is ridiculous. The problem is not using flat. The problem is using cheap, crappy flats.

Besides the whole “this is what the pros use” line of reasoning is probably responsible for more bad gear/equipment decisions than almost anything else.

FWIW, I use both flats and clipless on both my road/gravel and MTBs. I don’t really see one as inherently better than the other outside of timed competition. But good lord, some of the arguments against either are just asinine.

Last edited by Kapusta; 07-01-20 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-01-20, 06:11 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Of all the things that didn't happen, this didn't happen the most.
That right there is sig worthy
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-01-20, 08:47 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I picked up a set of nice pinned platforms when I bought my Hybrid (last summer). I intended to use the Hybrid for casual short rides so running shoes should have been fine.
I started using toe clips back in the late '70's and switched to SPD's in the late 90's. When I started riding with platforms something just didn't feel right. I thought it was the soft flexing sole of my running shoes so I tried riding with stiff hiking shoes.
I ended up swapping the platforms for a spare set of SPD's. My experiment was over.....to each their own.
Do people quote themselves?.....lol

My experiment with nubbed/platforms ended after a "close call" while using them. I was riding in moderate city traffic and keeping my eyes open for distracted cagers. I was pedalling lightly (not much pressure applied on the pedals) when a Ninja pot hole jolted me hard enough causing my foot (I was wearing Solomon Trail Runners) to slip off the pedal.
The bike and I wanted to go in different directions. Had I gone down in traffic it could have be ugly. When I got home (changed my underwear and cracked a beer) I put a spare set of SPD's back on.
When you're used to a system it's sometimes best to stick with it. Besides, I don't want to mess with the Cycling Gods......
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 07-01-20, 09:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Speedway2
When you're used to a system it's sometimes best to stick with it. Besides, I don't want to mess with the Cycling Gods......
That's why these"debates" get so silly. I feel especially unqualified to comment on the advantages of SPDs because I really can't use them but, obviously, if I were to start using them, I probably wouldn't be good at it as I have no experience with them. The point is that the converse is true, that I am better at riding with platforms than someone who has been riding exclusively with some sort of foot restraint would be. That's why all these "you can't don't do X with platforms" always come off so silly because the writer is inevitably projecting their lack of experience and/or platform-specific skills onto everyone else.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-01-20, 10:14 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by elcruxio
I have the Shimano SD-5 sandals and they are by far the best touring shoe I can imagine. Breathable, cool and quick drying when its hot but can be used in almost freezing conditions and rain when paired with sealkinz waterproof socks.

In general SPD sandals are far better summer rain cycling shoes than regular spd shoes, because of quick drying times and very little water retention. My normal shimano shoes need three days to air dry if they get properly soaked. The SD-5's are dry in hours.
That makes sense! I've had wet shoes for multi day rides. Wool dries quickly, So I'd find my self rotating my wool socks often just to try and wick the wet out of my shoes. the Other reason for wearing wool socks is things get sweaty. So feet are generally always wet anyways.
For a wide open sandal, I can see having drier feet. Well unless its a muggy humid day where nothing is evaporating.
Old 07-01-20, 11:25 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
What system do riders like Danny MacAskill use? Doesn't look like he uses clipless pedals. Yet he rides some pretty rough stuff.

Cheers
Old 07-01-20, 11:33 AM
Metieval

I understand that pros wear/use what they are given to wear/use.

I also understand that any study will always a level of bias that corrupts the results, Which also Includes any presentation of said collaboration of studies and test.

Where Bias is not found is in the results of ...
Rogue Races of amateurs and some pros.
Red Hook criterium,
Many of the Gravel Races,

I won't be holding my breath waiting for a guy/gal to win any of them while using platform pedals.

These races are not to be confused with the Wednesday night race at the local club of 10 Ish or so miles.
Old 07-01-20, 11:34 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Miele Man
What system do riders like Danny MacAskill use? Doesn't look like he uses clipless pedals. Yet he rides some pretty rough stuff.

Cheers
have you watched his outtakes? I wouldn't choose to be clipped in either! that would just be begging for injury.
Old 07-01-20, 12:06 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
That's why these"debates" get so silly. I feel especially unqualified to comment on the advantages of SPDs because I really can't use them but, obviously, if I were to start using them, I probably wouldn't be good at it as I have no experience with them. The point is that the converse is true, that I am better at riding with platforms than someone who has been riding exclusively with some sort of foot restraint would be.
True. When a bunch of racer friends and I started using mountain bikes for winter training in the late '80s, we all initially used flats. The guys with a BMX background had no trouble with them. The rest of us, used to foot retention, didn't do as well and have the shin scars to prove it. We then switched to toe clips and straps and did better (although we were sometimes unable to keep up with the BMX guys). These days, on the rare occasions that I ride off-road, I use plastic toe clips without straps.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-01-20, 12:30 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
That's why these"debates" get so silly. I feel especially unqualified to comment on the advantages of SPDs because I really can't use them but, obviously, if I were to start using them, I probably wouldn't be good at it as I have no experience with them. The point is that the converse is true, that I am better at riding with platforms than someone who has been riding exclusively with some sort of foot restraint would be.
Most people riding bikes grew up riding flats and switched at some point to clipless. I don't think there's much to learn about riding with either other than remembering to clip out when stopping. If you don't have some objective means of measuring power and/or efficiency it's difficult to verify that you'd be 'better' at riding with flats than someone who normally rides clipless.

I did a test years ago comparing riding with flats and clipless. Did a few of 10 min intervals at constant power with clipless and flat pedals. Keeping the power constant I monitored my HR and couldn't detect any difference so believe at steady state there's likely very little, if any, difference in efficiency. I did notice a substantial difference of a couple hundred watts going up a short steep hill and a difference in power starting up from stoplights. Do I need to sprint up hills? Absolutely not. Do I need to sprint against my friends on a group ride? Absolutely not. Do I? Yes.
Old 07-01-20, 12:59 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
you need larger pedals to give you more even pressure for more comfort. thats why I got these guys for my big size 13,5 feet. makes most shoes work and my feet don't slip and my feet don't bend.
Makes sense for the bigger feet, but how much pressure is there really going to be on an e-bike anyway?..... ...bazzzzinggaaa!
Old 07-01-20, 01:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by gregf83
Most people riding bikes grew up riding flats and switched at some point to clipless. I don't think there's much to learn about riding with either other than remembering to clip out when stopping. If you don't have some objective means of measuring power and/or efficiency it's difficult to verify that you'd be 'better' at riding with flats than someone who normally rides clipless.

I did a test years ago comparing riding with flats and clipless. Did a few of 10 min intervals at constant power with clipless and flat pedals. Keeping the power constant I monitored my HR and couldn't detect any difference so believe at steady state there's likely very little, if any, difference in efficiency. I did notice a substantial difference of a couple hundred watts going up a short steep hill and a difference in power starting up from stoplights. Do I need to sprint up hills? Absolutely not. Do I need to sprint against my friends on a group ride? Absolutely not. Do I? Yes.

It never would have occurred to me that there was any particular skill involved in riding on flats as I have done it all my life so it just seems natural. But so many people are posting that they have no confidence in their ability to stay on the things and that they hurt themselves when they use them that I'm now reconsidering that. Apparently, it's difficult for some people not to bang their shins with their pedals. Who knew?

Interesting you mention stoplights because (and I know this will sound like boasting, but it's true) in an urban setting, I am consistently faster starting on a stoplight than just about any non-motored vehicle I encounter-Stomping onto a big flat pedal gives me a big jolt of power that I don't think I could get if I had to clip in. Again, I don't really know that as I'll never ride clipless. But it really wouldn't at all surprise me if a habitual clipless rider wasn't as good starting on a flat pedal simply because they haven't got a start-up routine suited to the pedal style.

My suspicion has been that there's almost no difference, and my dad always said that the most heated arguments are generally about things that don't matter. When things matter, most times the "right" answer is obvious.

One thing I've noticed about these arguments is that it's going to be impossible to settle them by any kind of study because no one can agree on who the test riders should be. If all pro-level cyclists train a particular way, it only makes sense that they'll be better at that than they are the way they don't train, so it's really not likely you're going to get a group of elite road riders who are as adept at riding on platforms as they are clipless. And if you use average amateur riders, people will say that the lack of difference is because they're not good enough riders to realize the advantages of clipless (or spinning, or whatever).

The second thing I've noticed is that the safety arguments on both sides sound like unmitigated BS to me. Nothing is perfect, but they're both safe.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-01-20, 01:29 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
I agree that the argument against either are asinine, hence my reply. People rip on clipless. People also rip on flats.

I also see clipless as inherently better outside of timed competition in many cases, for me and many other riders who aren't pros. And I ride clipless, flats, and sometimes flats with clipless.
Well, now I think you are confusing personal preference with "inherently better".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.