Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clash of My Inner Nerd-isms

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 06:25 PM
Red Zinger
Not the tea...the race!

Bikes: '71 Schwinn Varsity, 2019 Schwinn Loop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Vintage Schwinns and the idea of tearing one down and rebuilding one for the first time has recently been consuming me. A few weeks ago I purchased a 1971 Schwinn Varsity with all original components (less one brake cable) in good riding condition but way overdue for an overhaul. I have been researching the "how-tos" of refurbishing this bike and feel really good at this point that I will be successful. However, as a software consultant and Project Manager professionally, my inclination is to create a written plan prior to starting the task so as not to miss anything or do things in an incorrect order. Although there are some great resources out there for individual phases of the work, I cannot find anything that gives an end-to-end plan for the whole project.

Can anyone provide any insight, thought or suggestions on this topic? Am I over-thinking it? Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
Old 07-01-20, 07:20 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Zinger
Vintage Schwinns and the idea of tearing one down and rebuilding one for the first time has recently been consuming me. A few weeks ago I purchased a 1971 Schwinn Varsity with all original components (less one brake cable) in good riding condition but way overdue for an overhaul. I have been researching the "how-tos" of refurbishing this bike and feel really good at this point that I will be successful. However, as a software consultant and Project Manager professionally, my inclination is to create a written plan prior to starting the task so as not to miss anything or do things in an incorrect order. Although there are some great resources out there for individual phases of the work, I cannot find anything that gives an end-to-end plan for the whole project.

Am I over-thinking it?
Yup.
Old 07-01-20, 07:52 PM
Red Zinger
Not the tea...the race!

Bikes: '71 Schwinn Varsity, 2019 Schwinn Loop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Yup.
I chuckled when I read your response, but laughed out loud when I read your signature line! Enough said it seems.
Likes For Red Zinger:
Old 07-01-20, 08:05 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
A written plan isn't necessarily necessary, but photos are. Take before, during, and after photos. And I mean several of each mechanical item so that you'll know how it was assembled before you took it apart. Photos have a much better memory than the human mind, in my experience anyway.

Another thing I'll do is write down measurements of things for the same reason of taking photos. Taking and writing down measurements helps me remember the spacing and placement of certain things.

Last edited by FiftySix; 07-01-20 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 08:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://web.archive.org/web/20190509...TRODUCTION.htm
Old 07-01-20, 09:17 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Having to write stuff down, takes all the fun out of a project, especially hobby projects. Currently redoing a 71 Schwinn Sports Tourer, This ain’t rocket science, pretty basic stuff.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 07-02-20, 04:57 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
only one kind of "sprint" that happens around here and "epic" applies to great rides, not ticket count.

Yep, you are overthinking it. Grab a beer and just get to wrenching. Have two 70's Schwinn's myself. The thing I don't like about them was having to find all my SAE non-metric tools. Even their pedal threads are different.

After getting them fully functional I realized it isn't very pleasant riding something that heavy with steel rim brakes. they just sit for the most part.
Old 07-02-20, 07:06 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Zinger

Can anyone provide any insight, thought or suggestions on this topic? Am I over-thinking it? Thank you for taking the time to read my post!
years ago I disassembled a car for the first time. I took photos, kept a (big) notebook with a running commentary, drawings etc, every part (except for the obvious big ones) was numbered or bagged, and the numbers recorded in The Book. After everything was refurbed or replaced, I essentially went through the book in reverse. Worked out OK. For a bike, you’d probably only need a a couple of pages