Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh wheel nuts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh wheel nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 07:51 PM
vorlauf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh wheel nuts?

I apologize in advance for what is a very simple question, but I have been trying to google a solution or answer for the better part of two days. To make a long story short, I was given a Mid 1980's Wyoming a couple of years back which sat in my garage and is now my COVID project. I am new to any type of work on a bike, but am mechanically inclined. I have taken the whole thing apart down to a bare frame and on its way back but I am stumped on how the wheels go on; they were off when I was given the bike, so i have never seen them on it.

I have two problems/questions?

1. it looks like the dropouts/forks are ever so slightly larger than the axle (?) on the wheel, in order for wheel nut to go on the forks would be pushed inward.
2. The other part is that I think I may be missing the wheel nuts. There are two nuts on the the axle, but I think they may be part of the whole assembly as they are fairly industrial looking. I have seen some pictures of what the wheel nuts look like, and these are very different.

I would post a photo, but I'm new in these parts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-20, 08:09 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Image assist

If by "wheel nuts", you think the axle is affixed to the fork with nuts, it's not. It's a common quick-release (hollow) axle. Do you have the QR skewer?
Old 07-01-20, 09:02 PM
vorlauf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AHA... this is why you sometimes need to ask for help. Yes I thought they were held on with nuts, as I wasn't given skewers. It also explains why I was running around in circles.

No, I don't have the skewers. Are they a standard size or is there anything I need to know about buying new ones.

Thank you again.