Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata Triple Cross VS Road Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 12:19 PM
WhatTheDelromi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello. So I live in a major city and I've been in the market for a vintage road bike. I've been looking mainly at Japanese models with drop handlebars because that's just what I know and I'm not looking for a mountain bike.

That said, I recently came across a circa 1990 Miyata Triple Cross with riser bars. Basically a road bike with riser bars (hybrid).

I know it's a really basica question, but how do you think these bars would affect my riding experience in traffic in terms of control. And how about on long rides? Would I sacrifice speed?

Lastly, I'm 6'4". Do you think a 23" frame is big enough?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-20, 01:09 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I've never understood all the people who buy a vintage road bicycle then add upright handlebars, lower gearing and try to cram in wide tyres. Why not just buy a hybrid?

Personally, a hybrid is an excellent choice for riding in traffic. They put you just a bit higher for better visibility (seeing and being seen), the wider tyres handle the debris better, the controls are always at your fingertips, they have fittings for racks and clearances for mudguards. Typically, they are lighter and more responsive than an ATB, though not up to road bicycle standards.

There will be some sacrifice in speed on long rides but perhaps not quite a much as you expect. The position will be comparable to riding on the hoods with the simple additon of bar end extensions, which will also, provide an extra hand position. So, unless you ride the drops a lot, you're not sacrificing much in aerodynamics. Most riders these days seem to be more concerned with having fat, cushy riding tyres than speed. A hybrid will give that flexibility to go fatter and lower pressure or narrower and higher pressure. A good set of appropriate tyres will make a big difference on any bicycle.

A hybrid is very much a Jack of all trades bicycles. It's probably best for commuting and light recreational riding but can also be used as for light duty off-road, gravel cycling and road riding, though it's a compromise. That's why n+1 is so popular on the forums. To get the most out of each style of riding, you need a bicycle designed specifically for that purpose.

As for size, the Triple Cross was a traditional horizontal top tube design. For the average portioned 6" 4" person, I'd want a 63cm frame.
Old 07-01-20, 02:48 PM
WhatTheDelromi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great feedback, thank you.
Old 07-01-20, 05:01 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I've never understood all the people who buy a vintage road bicycle then add upright handlebars, lower gearing and try to cram in wide tyres. Why not just buy a hybrid?
Well, in defense of this practice, I know you know that older bikes that were destined for racing were built with wider tire clearances and more forgiving geometry than later more purpose-built race bikes. For those who like to tinker and futz around with parts and frames, it's not a question of why, but why not. Anyway, I know you know this...

Back to this bike -- it sounds like it would suit the OP's needs very well.
Old 07-02-20, 06:47 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
I have its stablemate, the Alumicross. Wonderful bikes. Ride it in its hybrid form, and if you get the itch for a drop-bar road bike, its geometry will gladly accommodate a conversion. And there's always N+1.
Old 07-02-20, 12:10 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by PugRider
I have its stablemate, the Alumicross. Wonderful bikes. Ride it in its hybrid form, and if you get the itch for a drop-bar road bike, its geometry will gladly accommodate a conversion. And there's always N+1.
+1.
In the early years of this century, I invented gravel bikes...I just didn't know it .
Up here in farm and forest Maine, it's farm roads, skidder roads, cow trails, ect. I was teaching my kids to ride, and their bikes were ATBs, of course. I wanted something I could ride on these unimproved 'roads' like a road bike. I acquired a '91 Triplecross frame and fork and built it up with drops. It's been updated several times, but currently looks like:

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)

Last edited by top506; 07-02-20 at 04:07 PM.
Likes For top506:
Old 07-02-20, 02:42 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
WhatTheDelromi , I much prefer flat or upright bars when commuting in traffic. It gives you better peripheral vision and you have quick access to the brakes. I had a drop bar mountain bike conversion I was using for commuting here in Seattle. I liked it for longer rides, but I changed back to flat bars.

You have a few options if you want to do longer rides on a flat bar bike and need more hand positions. You can do bar ends, get a threadless stem adapter and do crazy bars (https://velo-orange.com/products/crazy-bars-1) or you can make your own crazy bars on the cheap by putting the bar ends in the middle of your flat bar.

TL;DR: IMO, go with a flat bar if you are mostly using the bike for commutes of 30-45 minutes.

Oh, and I'm 6' and ride a 22.5" frame and it might even be a little small for me. I think 23" will be a little small for you unless you have short legs.
Old 07-02-20, 02:54 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Depends on the frame, riser bars may not get you up high enough or it just looks weird. I like top506's approach but you may need a tall Technomic to get that fit right. I did the same thing with my 91 Crossroads and it's comfy, maybe a bit short in the stem for my arms.
Old 07-02-20, 04:07 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I like top506's approach but you may need a tall Technomic to get that fit right. I did the same thing with my 91 Crossroads and it's comfy, maybe a bit short in the stem for my arms.
I went with the short stem because the Triplecross had a very long top tube in relation to the seat tube. 54x57cm maybe.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 07-02-20, 07:13 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Same thing here. I used my road bike fit but I'm over the pedals a bit more.
Old 06-29-21, 09:30 AM
Davvvv

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
For anyone like me who searches for very specific things and might be discovering this thread in the future: as someone who lives and rides in NYC and purchased a stock-except-the-tires (1993) Miyata Triple Cross in March, I can confirm that with its original flat bars it's an excellent bike for riding in traffic. Especially in stop-and-go traffic or on routes with ****** roads and/or lots of turns and detours. Great to have the controls at your fingertips, and the bike is a great balance of sturdy and nimble.

Relative to a true road bike setup, you definitely lose some top-end speed and/or ability to cut through wind days with the flat bars, but if you're riding in traffic that won't matter much. As T-Mar said, bar-ends will give you some options to mitigate that.

I bought it to be my commuter, but also with the explicit intent of converting it to drop bars so it could double as a touring bike. I rode it stock with the flat bars for ~5-6 weeks, to be sure that I had dutifully tried it out as is before doing all of that conversion work: I loved riding it in traffic, but on longer rides (e.g. park loops and such, training for my tour) I indeed found myself craving the options and aerodynamics of drop bars. But if I were exclusively using it as a city commuter I would have strongly considered keeping it as is.

Went through the conversion in April (with some bar end shifters to keep things simple and cost-efficient) and was very happy with the results – the geometry works well and really the only thing it's missing is rack bosses on the front fork, which is a problem you can solve for like $4 with some p-clamps. Just got back from my (first!) tour, about 230 miles in 4 days – can confirm that a drop bar Triple Cross is an excellent touring option. Did everything I asked it to.
Likes For Davvvv:
Old 06-29-21, 12:02 PM
tricky 

Originally Posted by Davvvv
For anyone like me who searches for very specific things and might be discovering this thread in the future: as someone who lives and rides in NYC and purchased a stock-except-the-tires (1993) Miyata Triple Cross in March, I can confirm that with its original flat bars it's an excellent bike for riding in traffic. Especially in stop-and-go traffic or on routes with ****** roads and/or lots of turns and detours. Great to have the controls at your fingertips, and the bike is a great balance of sturdy and nimble.

Relative to a true road bike setup, you definitely lose some top-end speed and/or ability to cut through wind days with the flat bars, but if you're riding in traffic that won't matter much. As T-Mar said, bar-ends will give you some options to mitigate that.

I bought it to be my commuter, but also with the explicit intent of converting it to drop bars so it could double as a touring bike. I rode it stock with the flat bars for ~5-6 weeks, to be sure that I had dutifully tried it out as is before doing all of that conversion work: I loved riding it in traffic, but on longer rides (e.g. park loops and such, training for my tour) I indeed found myself craving the options and aerodynamics of drop bars. But if I were exclusively using it as a city commuter I would have strongly considered keeping it as is.

Went through the conversion in April (with some bar end shifters to keep things simple and cost-efficient) and was very happy with the results – the geometry works well and really the only thing it's missing is rack bosses on the front fork, which is a problem you can solve for like $4 with some p-clamps. Just got back from my (first!) tour, about 230 miles in 4 days – can confirm that a drop bar Triple Cross is an excellent touring option. Did everything I asked it to.
I am about to build up a Univega Via Carisma frame to use in the same way. Getting around Seattle's rough roads and the occasional tour. The fork even has lowrider mounts!
Old 06-29-21, 01:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
To pile on, my first gravel bike was a too small for me Univega Via Activa 300 frame that I converted to drop bars. I wanted a cheap starter to make sure I liked gravel riding. It was perfect for what I needed and I used it for almost 2 years while figuring out what geometry and gearing I wanted for a properly fit bike. It easily fit 40mm tires, had relaxed stable geometry, and mounts for a rack and fenders. Just a great frame all around.

Still love the splatter paint too! I ended up selling the frame and fork to a forum member who powdercoated it and made a nice upright 1x bike.

Old 06-29-21, 02:11 PM
schwinnderella

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 29 Posts
I also have an alumicross which I believe had drop bars from the factory, one of my favorite riders.
Old 06-29-21, 03:05 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by schwinnderella
I also have an alumicross which I believe had drop bars from the factory, one of my favorite riders.
There's one in town, in my size, that is left outside all winter and they won't sell it.

Good thing it's aluminum. I'll be patient.
Old 06-29-21, 06:28 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
I was helping a friend who lives in BK get a bike and convinced him to go with a Triple Cross I found on FB Marketplace. I gave it a once-over to get him rolling and was jealous it wasn't my size. It nails everything T-Mar said about hybrid bikes which was a big selling point for my buddy. His only stipulations had been that whatever I find for him had flat bars and be lighter than his current bike. And, if he ever wants to sell it, I have another friend who wanted to buy it off of him as soon as he saw it.
Old 06-29-21, 06:55 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
I went with the short stem because the Triplecross had a very long top tube in relation to the seat tube. 54x57cm maybe.

Thats interesting. I've got a slightly beat up 21" Triple Cross scrap yard rescue, but didnt catch that it has a long top tube/mountain bike geometry.
Old 06-29-21, 08:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Originally Posted by bark_eater
Thats interesting. I've got a slightly beat up 21" Triple Cross scrap yard rescue, but didnt catch that it has a long top tube/mountain bike geometry.
My Crossroads posted early has a 2 cm longer top tube than the same year Triplecross iirc.
Old 06-30-21, 05:06 PM
tricky 

Originally Posted by bark_eater

Most flat bar bikes, MTB or otherwise, have longer top tubes than drop bar bikes.
Old 07-01-21, 08:39 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I get that. Thing about the Triple Cross is that the geometry has been compared to the Bridgestone XO-1 which is designed around moustache bars and most of the Triple Cross drop bar conversions I've seen pictures of have "normal" seat post extensions, as apposed to the many mountain bike drop bar conversions that use a frame 1 or 2 sizes smaller to get an acceptable reach.
Old 10-22-22, 06:02 PM
Rafe Hollister

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhatTheDelromi
Hello. So I live in a major city and I've been in the market for a vintage road bike. I've been looking mainly at Japanese models with drop handlebars because that's just what I know and I'm not looking for a mountain bike.

That said, I recently came across a circa 1990 Miyata Triple Cross with riser bars. Basically a road bike with riser bars (hybrid).

I know it's a really basica question, but how do you think these bars would affect my riding experience in traffic in terms of control. And how about on long rides? Would I sacrifice speed?

Lastly, I'm 6'4". Do you think a 23" frame is big enough?

Thanks!
On another note, the Triple Cross has possibley the most hi tech steel frame ever (not saying the best). Its lugged, triple butted and internally splined. Miyata is the only bike MFG that made their own tubing and they did some pretty cool things with steel.