Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I bought a beautiful Mercury Galaxy bike. I know nothing about

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-17, 10:20 PM
Jericokid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could someone please tell me what I have. I bought this Mercury Galaxy bike from this elderly lady in perfect condition with aero glide tires that looks brand new. The bike is green and yellow with a large diamond back seat. The lady said she never rode but a couple of times. Even the handle grips are green. The bike is absolutely beautiful. I intend to sell it but can't find it on eBay or Amazon. Not even on goggle. I only paid ten dollars for the bike. She even threw in two other bikes for five dollars a peace, but they are vintage schwinn bikes. Those I can look up. I'm just at a loss on this bike. It has a sticker towards the bottom that says assembled in mantachie ms. Could someone please give me some information.
Old 03-26-17, 11:58 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
Here's some information.
You most likely bought a "Murray" Galaxy. (Murray had a plant in Mantachie from 1998 to 2000.)
Old 03-27-17, 06:00 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericokid
Could someone please tell me what I have. I bought this Mercury Galaxy bike from this elderly lady in perfect condition with aero glide tires that looks brand new. The bike is green and yellow with a large diamond back seat. The lady said she never rode but a couple of times. Even the handle grips are green. The bike is absolutely beautiful. I intend to sell it but can't find it on eBay or Amazon. Not even on goggle. I only paid ten dollars for the bike. She even threw in two other bikes for five dollars a peace, but they are vintage schwinn bikes. Those I can look up. I'm just at a loss on this bike. It has a sticker towards the bottom that says assembled in mantachie ms. Could someone please give me some information.
I think machinest 42 is right about the identify and I suspect your bike is not especially valuable, but asking a question about value without a photo is like calling your doctor on the phone and asking him to diagnose the red spot that suddenly appeared on your arm.
Old 06-21-20, 10:05 PM
Jimmy R. Jones

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by okane
I think machinest 42 is right about the identify and I suspect your bike is not especially valuable, but asking a question about value without a photo is like calling your doctor on the phone and asking him to diagnose the red spot that suddenly appeared on your arm.
yes, machinest is correct. I worked at that factory for three years and we did make that bike. We made a whole line of bikes the last year of the plants existence called Planet Earth bicycles, including the Galaxy bikes. The plant closed down in '99.
Old 06-22-20, 12:37 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Google has some pix of a retro-look-cruiser named Murray Galaxy. I had no idea this kind of bike was being made in the USA at the turn of the century. Always assumed they would have been made in Asia, somewhere.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 06-22-20, 07:59 AM
Jimmy R. Jones

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericokid
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Google has some pix of a retro-look-cruiser named Murray Galaxy. I had no idea this kind of bike was being made in the USA at the turn of the century. Always assumed they would have been made in Asia, somewhere.
Yeah I think they were the last bikes made
In America . Actually we assembled the bikes in that plant in Mantachie MS ,the parts I think we're coming from China.