Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Topeak Joe Blow Pro, maintenance?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-13-17, 07:26 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts

I know nothing of bike pumps, got one of these about 5 years ago, great pump. It's been losing PSI power over time, was down to 80 psi max and not getting much "push" per handle stroke. I pulled the innards and greased the O-ring, got it up to 100 psi, but that's the new "limit."

Is there maintenance involved in these pumps? I'm not a shop, but build and work on a lot of bikes (no bike shop here). The pump is handy, as my Walmart compressor only goes to 80psi.

Do shops maintain their pumps? Any input is welcome.
Old 05-13-17, 08:18 AM
skoda2

Bikes: 74 Romic, 83 Basso, Lotto, 88 Condor, Prestige MTB, 12 Soma, Groove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I know nothing of bike pumps, got one of these about 5 years ago, great pump. It's been losing PSI power over time, was down to 80 psi max and not getting much "push" per handle stroke. I pulled the innards and greased the O-ring, got it up to 100 psi, but that's the new "limit."

Is there maintenance involved in these pumps? I'm not a shop, but build and work on a lot of bikes (no bike shop here). The pump is handy, as my Walmart compressor only goes to 80psi.

Greetings Robbie, that's about all we do in the shop, however we use silicone grease. Regards
Old 05-13-17, 10:59 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

You can buy a rebuild kit for that pump. That might fix that issue
Old 06-19-20, 03:35 AM
WilfForrow
Wilf

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Dahon Speed TR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our Joe Blow was squeaking and a bit painful to use. Had some 3-In-One Silicone Lubricant spray, and sprayed it on the plunger, and a fair bit into the gap with the main pump body, and it's now quiet and working much more smoothly.
Old 06-19-20, 06:38 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I also try to clean out the cylinder as well as I can, with some kind of home made swab like a piece of rag on a stick. Then add a coating of grease down the cylinder.

That reminds me, I rode in rain and dirt last night and I need to clean out my frame pump, which is mounted on the bottom of the down tube. I hate that gritty feeling when I need that pump.
Old 06-19-20, 07:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
You can buy a rebuild kit for that pump. That might fix that issue
The rebuild kit is basically a new head -- you just unthread the old one, and thread on the new one. I've replaced mine twice in about 15 years, and it always makes the pump work as well as when new.

I believe the first time, I contacted Topeak and they sent me the new head for free(!) The second time, I happened to be in a shop that had the head in stock, so I bought it - I think it was about ten bucks.
Old 06-19-20, 09:39 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Note: zombie thread.

Originally Posted by WilfForrow
Our Joe Blow was squeaking and a bit painful to use. Had some 3-In-One Silicone Lubricant spray, and sprayed it on the plunger, and a fair bit into the gap with the main pump body, and it's now quiet and working much more smoothly.
I'm surprised this worked for you. I did the same thing to my Joe Blow Pro and totally ruined all the rubber o-rings. They swelled up and the pump didn't work right. Fortunately, Topeak sells replacements. Or at least they used to. After a thorough cleaning and lubing with actual silicone grease (NOT spray) the pump has been working fine ever since. It's about 10 years old now.
Old 06-19-20, 02:10 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Take the o-ring to a hardware store and replace it. They do wear and lose their shape.